SmartStart @ UWS (1 Viewer)

= Jennifer =

HSC
happy cup said:
hey i'm just wondering.. for the people who registered, did u receive conformation afterwards?
i got an email that said:

Thank you for your registration in our SmartStart program. We will be in contact with you after the release of the Main Round Offers.

Please remember that these scholarships will only be awarded to registered applicants on the basis of UAI and can only be offered if you are successful in securing a place at UWS, in one of the eligible courses. Please note: SmartStart scholarships cannot be held with any other UWS scholarships.

The SmartStart Team

Demandred

HSC
"On the basis of UAI" - So pretty much those who got over 90s would have a pretty good chance of getting in, surely there are other criterias.

Rayanaldo

HSC
N/A
Demandred said:
"On the basis of UAI" - So pretty much those who got over 90s would have a pretty good chance of getting in, surely there are other criterias.
I absolutely hope that they don't just accept those with a high UAI.

I got 74.85 and 8 of my 9 preferences are from the UWS courses listed on the yellow sheet and all of them are business related.

Rayanaldo

HSC
N/A
Ok, here is my situation.

My UAI is 74.85. 8 of my 9 preferences are for the courses which are on the yellow list which came with the letter from UWS. Also, all those courses are Business related.

Some positive points I have heard is that these courses are offered with this program due to low numbers applied for and that applications for UWS this year has dropped by 15%.

Do I have a good chance of getting in?

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I doubt any of us will actually know if you get the scholarship. Since it was the first year that its introduced. Its exactly like guessing a cutoff for a course- impossible. My advice would be stop stressing and worrying about it and wait a few weeks until you find out.

GirlGoneMad

Kitten Kong
HSC
I hope I get it. I got a UAI of 79.00 and I applied for Nursing at Hawkesbury, which has a cutoff of 64.25. Since they are allocating extra scholarships to high need courses including nursing, do you think I still have a chance? I really could do with some extra money since me or my parents don't have enough money to pay for my uni expenses but centrelink won't pay me a cent because my parents aren't dole bludgers or pensioners and actually work for their money. A part time job at the nursing home won't pay for much.

Rayanaldo

HSC
N/A
I just want to ask 1 more question about this program.

If I am successful in receiving this scholarship for a particular course, would I receive an offer for this course in the main round? I am asking this because they said that those who are successful in getting this offer will by late March.

GirlGoneMad

Kitten Kong
HSC
LaraB said:
Just curious - how much have you read into the centrelink stuff? because both my parents work and earn above average income but if i wanted to, i'd still qualify for youth allowance, and have been able to since about year 10....
and once uni starts, youth allowance is likely to increase.... Centrelink suck at giving you the info you need so try giving the uni a call and asking their student liasons what the deal is - i've called them about stuff the last few weeks and they're really helpful:)
natstar said:
about the centerlink. Just cuz your parents have a higher income, doesent mean u cant get youth allowance. My parents earn way over the threshold so i intially could not get youth allowance, but i deferred uni for a year and worked. If you can earn 16k in an 18 month period after leaving high school, you are viewed as independent, and can get the youth allowance payments. I get YA- the living away from home rate + rent assistance
Thanks for the info and for being so helpful. Someone from centrelink calculated whether I was allowed to get youth allowance and of course, I wasn't. I don't want to defer just in case I do get the scholarship! It will be ok for the beginning of uni anyway because my grandma just gave me some left over Euros to convert! So lucky.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
superbird said:
Did anybody else receive this letter in the mail from UWS regarding SmartStart scholarships?
I'll tell you what, it has seriously got me thinking at studying at UWS. Apparently you pay a one-off $2000 and you get broadband internet at home, car and petrol costs paid for, money for new clothes, PC/laptop expenses covered, plus an option of either 30 textbooks, 20,000 photocopies or 400 round-trip train fares.
Anybody who knows more about this care to post? Is there any catch to all this?
Cheers
I think you should read the letter again carefully, you have to have an elegable course at UWS in your first two preferences and they give you $2000, thats it nothing else

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Didn't I read somewhere that they said that you will know about the scholarship thingo towards the end of march? In which case, theres still slightly over a month to wait until your likely to hear anything.

mgmgmg87

The scholarship will most probably go to higher uai's but as it is given in March they may check that you will actually work and do well at uni no matter what uai you have got!

chrismerjane

HSC
Hey guys, we will get calls in the next few days if you won the scholarship, i know i just got a few minutes ago!!!

lol my UAI wasnt all that high as well, 85.9

well, good luck y'all

nanoazzi

HSC
yeh i got told i got it tooo...but i forgot to ask HOW TO CLAIM THE MONEY? has anyone been told?

nanoazzi

HSC
lol nuthing is wrong with necromancing......

i just wanna no how to get my money :(

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
chrismerjane said:
Hey guys, we will get calls in the next few days if you won the scholarship, i know i just got a few minutes ago!!!

lol my UAI wasnt all that high as well, 85.9

well, good luck y'all
i should have gone for it=(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)