SMH Article (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Once again BOS people have being quoted (MeLT87 and chonga) ;)

In the senate the neighs had it
By Jordan Baker
November 2, 2005

Murderous pharaohs, bloody battles, flings with kings and an emperor who inducted his horse into the senate - it is no wonder HSC students are flocking to ancient history.

In 2001 it attracted 7382 HSC students; this year there were 10,336, more than modern history for the second year in a row.

Syl Bosworth, an ancient history teacher at Karabar High School, Queanbeyan, said blockbuster films such as Gladiator and Alexander the Great had probably helped lift the subject's profile.

"More than that, it deals with a whole range within a society: the people, the society itself, the changes that happen over a period; and the kids really do seem to love it," she said.

Students at Saint Ignatius' College, Riverview, who sat the HSC exam yesterday, said ancient history had an element of mystery.

"Modern history is very straightforward," Darius Navidzadeh said. "It's very well-documented. Ancient history is more open to interpretation. There's always different opinions. The things that happen are more spectacular."

When asked their favourite stories, the students listed the crazed antics of Rome's Emperor Caligula, the disappearance of Egypt's Queen Hatshepsut's mummy, the bloody conquests of Alexander the Great and a Persian commander called Boges.

"There's lots of blood and stuff," said one.

The course also offers a taste of early feminism with questions about the role of Roman matrons or women in Minoan religion. "More so than modern history, women are prominent," said another St Ignatius boy, Rob Linsley.

Ancient history's popularity was reflected on the website boredofstudies.org yesterday afternoon. "I must admit I'm gonna miss ancient, it was my favourite subject," one said.

"I didn't want to stop writing," said another.

Ms Bosworth said the paper, which covered subjects ranging from Julius Caesar to Jezebel, was fair, if unusually specific. Questions about Draco, the first to codify Athenian law, and Sparta were unexpected.

"It wasn't outside the scope of the syllabus," she said.

Last edited:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, tis sad to see it finally end *tear

nwatts

HSC
"Modern history is very straightforward," Darius Navidzadeh said. "It's very well-documented. Ancient history is more open to interpretation. There's always different opinions. The things that happen are more spectacular."

Hah, straitforward. Someone hasn't actually done the course. :p

The 'Studies of International Peace and Conflict' (section 3) is hardly what I'd call straitforward. Especially considering my last esasy was all about the justification of international terrorism. But, it's good to see some ancient fans getting quoted. ;)

chonga

rOx your sOx baby
HSC
>.<

hahaha that's just so weirdd!! can't believe i got quoted - i feel so famous but like..noone even knows that i said it *sigh* shoulda said something more profound, then i woulda sounded smarter as opposed to a lil geeky girL in love with ancient history! hahah =P

Master Gopher

HSC
I'm kinda sad to see it go, too, actually - maybe it was just the nice exam, but I really enjoyed doing it and I was stoked when I was done...

I'm strange and focus on odd things, but that article was written by Jordan Baker, which is the name of a character in The Great Gastby. I know, I know, ignore me.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
chonga said:
hahaha that's just so weirdd!! can't believe i got quoted - i feel so famous but like..noone even knows that i said it *sigh* shoulda said something more profound, then i woulda sounded smarter as opposed to a lil geeky girL in love with ancient history! hahah =P

haha, yeh i know how it feels, they quoted me for legal studies.... =P

haha yup it does sound kind of geeky rofl.

Ah The Great Gastby! what happened to the SMH's normal education reporter? Ms Norris?

rcandelori

Probably on strike like the other reporters. rofl. Bloody fairfax publishers.

Btw, Ancient was pretty straight forward this year. No surprises.

But with regard to the article, I agree that Ancient is definitely more interesting. I think everyone is just sick of terrorism and the world wars. There are way more interesting things to study - like Roman politics! How gloriously intriguing!

Cab31

HSC
Ohhhh i miss ancient :(

It was the only subject that i actually liked.

hipPo3

HSC
Cab31 said:
Ohhhh i miss ancient :(

It was the only subject that i actually liked.
and the only subject i was good at :(:(:(:(

GaNeSh

Official Chelsea FC Ultra
HSC
ur all pretty sad....how can u miss ancient...what is there to miss....im came second in my grade and i cant be happier to c it go. All u do in ancient is read books, cant u do that at home?

pirotess4

HSC
N/A
Hehehe....I did love the ancient history exam - it was very fair for me, i just wish i had studied more!!

I'm not going to miss ancient, sure don't get me wrong learning about those ancient cultures is interesting, but i'd rather learn it at home without any pressure of actually having to remember evidence, specific names and taking exams!!

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
GaNeSh said:
ur all pretty sad....how can u miss ancient...what is there to miss....im came second in my grade and i cant be happier to c it go. All u do in ancient is read books, cant u do that at home?
my sentiments exactly.

butterflybird

HSC
haha, there was absolutely no intrigue in the subjects we did: old kingdom egypt and periclean athens. maybe that pericles was in love with a prostitute? *shrug*

ancient was the subject i was most utterly elated to see the back of.

i hope that gets quoted someday too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)