So, Module A? (1 Viewer)

yours

HSC
The differences I saw were that Scott enlarges on Shelley's concerns about the neglect of nature, so in his text it is more problematic, and the thing that challenges humanity is, for shelley mostly science/Age of Enlightenment, while for Scott it involves Corporatism/Science. Also there are nuances to find on particular techniques e.g. acid rain, Locke and Hobbes, Cold War etc.
In these ways there are 'distinct' contexts evident.

HSC
Uni Grad
Module A Question 2 (b) - BLADESTEIN!!! (Frankenstein and Blade Runner)
the question said something about the comparisons and the distinctive contexts or some shit..
I interpreted it as the comparisons between the two texts reflecting on Shelly and Scott's different contexts.
:/ I'm feeling iffy about it now though..
thats a really good q for bladerunner & frankenstein

nano2e

HSC
I did richard III too, i mainly focused on how certain values have changed over time, which help distinguish the two and also how techniques like dramatic irony arent as recognised by the modern audience compared to the elizabethans..it seemed fine, i hope it was lol.
I did that too, but it seemed pretty convoluted. values are defined by their context as far as I understand of the module. But this question wanted us to switch it and say context was defined by the values... when values are actually defined by context >.> You really had to BS that one to find a way to make sense of it all.

kirstyanne-xx

HSC
Module A Question 2 (b) - BLADESTEIN!!! (Frankenstein and Blade Runner)
the question said something about the comparisons and the distinctive contexts or some shit..
I interpreted it as the comparisons between the two texts reflecting on Shelly and Scott's different contexts.
:/ I'm feeling iffy about it now though..
That's what I did as well :) I focused upon the fact that composers are able to integrate contextual values within to works to reflect, comment on or challenge the established beliefs of the time and discussed that the comparative analysis of the two texts conveys similarities and differences which accentuate their contexts. Was a really good question for the two texts :)

themanman

HSC
N/A
You weren't meant to ENTIRELY contrast.

You say:

SIMILAR themes but DIFFERENT perspectives

e.g. Nature
- Shelley believed that nature governed humanity and could never be completely eradicated
- Context: Romanticism

- Scott: Presents a world completely devoid of nature. Saw that humanities actions had a strong impact on it
- Context: Chernobyl disaster, Cold War threat of nuclear warfare

---

Last edited:

jamesfirst

HSC
You weren't meant to ENTIRELY contrast.

You say:

SIMILAR themes but DIFFERENT perspectives

e.g. Nature
- Shelley believed that nature governed humanity and could never be completely eradicated
- Context: Romanticism

- Scott: Presents a world completely devoid of nature. Saw that humanities actions had a strong impact on it
- Context: Chernobyl disaster, Cold War threat of nuclear warfare

---

That Scott's contexts are good... I only did the Industrial Revolution as a context... hmmmmmmmmmmm

herbs1

HSC
I said their perspectives on what are, essentialy the same values, reflect their distinct contexts
This. I talked about the consumerism and social issues of ambition in bladerunner vs the personal and family issues in Frakenstein, how communication was explored in both texts, talking about the fracturing domestic ideal in franky and the individual dehumanisation in bladerunner, then talked about concepts of humanity, comparing tabula rasa etc philosophy in Franky to existential philosophy and personal identity and self-actualism.

13abie

HSC
I talked about
Shelley - Industrial Revolution, Gothic genre, Modern Prometheus --> consequences of science
Scott - IVF, genetic engineering, early robotics, globalisation, Reaganomics, greed is good --> consequences of science
Shelley - Coleridge visited her as a child, Romantic ethos of Percy Shelley, Rousseu's amendment to 'tabula rasa', Milton's Paradise lost --> degradation of moral conscience
Scott- superficial americans, Judeo-Chritian notions of morality --> degradation of moral conscience

My thesis was while their contexts were distinct, a comparative study showed they had the same values. But now i'm getting the horrible feeling that you were supposed to do it the other way around

HSC
I talked about
Shelley - Industrial Revolution, Gothic genre, Modern Prometheus --> consequences of science
Scott - IVF, genetic engineering, early robotics, globalisation, Reaganomics, greed is good --> consequences of science
Shelley - Coleridge visited her as a child, Romantic ethos of Percy Shelley, Rousseu's amendment to 'tabula rasa', Milton's Paradise lost --> degradation of moral conscience
Scott- superficial americans, Judeo-Chritian notions of morality --> degradation of moral conscience

My thesis was while their contexts were distinct, a comparative study showed they had the same values. But now i'm getting the horrible feeling that you were supposed to do it the other way around

sounds like we wrote the exact same essay haha

jamesfirst

HSC
I talked about

Mine is very similar to this also.

engie_benji

HSC
yeh my thesis was also along the lines that although they had differing contexts, their values were similar

yours

HSC
how boring must it be for the markers everyone's essay is the same

themanman

HSC
N/A
Mine was fairly different

Context:

Shelley: Conflicting sociopolitical ideologies: Romanticism + Enlightenment (generic), observant of conversations between P. Shelley and Lord Byron on "the principles of life", industrialisation (generic), Erasmus Darwin, Galvani (generic), gothic - quoted her in the preface "how fearful must it be to mock the stupendous mechanism of the Creator of the world," Romantics believed that environment > humanity and the power of the sublime, belief in the plight of Faustian individuals due to the power of nature

Link: Scott takes the conceptual framework engendered within Frankenstein and it endures it through two centuries of industrialisation, unbridled scientific pursuits and moral indifference and demonstrates how these universal concerns have escalated.

Riddley: IBM + Microsoft, capitalism + wall street mantra, Ronald Reagan's 'Trickle Down' theory, Chernobyl Disaster, Cold War threat of Nuclear warfar - visually alludes to Ray BRadbury's 'There Will Come Soft Rains,' Ecological concerns, quoted Scott that he thought New York was on "technological overload"

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)