So the marks are going from 120 to 100 (1 Viewer)

Sindivyn

HSC
Any thoughts on what will be taken out of the exam to compensate for the lower total? Hoping for less random harder 3U q's, seem to be losing 20 marks on just those (70% of my total marks lost).

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
I'm hoping they get rid of:
- The easy question 1 integrals
- Questions like "prove that the equation of the tangent to the hyperbola is blah" and instead give us the equations and ask us to do something interesting with them.
- Simple complex numbers questions (e.g. find z+w)

I'll be unhappy if they get rid of "question 8" (although it's 6 now).

hayabusaboston

HSC
- Questions like "prove that the equation of the tangent to the hyperbola is blah" and instead give us the equations and ask us to do something interesting with them.

I like this lol. Abrakadabra!! hahaha. Wait so there's no Q8, just up to Q6?? AND WTF WITH MULTIPLE CHOIUCE?!?!?!?!

HSC
'q8' is just a stereotype name for the last question. Just because it's 6 doesn't mean it will be any different.

Multiple choice will test mainly basic understanding of concepts.

Johnstan

Sickunt overload
HSC
Uni Grad

this.
3 marks for doing nothing... cut the crap, gimme dah maffs

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
'q8' is just a stereotype name for the last question. Just because it's 6 doesn't mean it will be any different.

All the HSC papers I've looked at have started simple and got progressively harder, finishing with what tends to be a fairly hard harder 3 unit question, generally involving sums or the like - the stereotypical q8. What I meant was that I hope they don't get rid of this format; they could change it entirely and make it of consistent difficulty throughout, with no "q8".

gorab

HSC
Actually multiple choice while being 'basic' has some questions normally worth 2-3 marks that count for 1 mark

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
they could change it entirely and make it of consistent difficulty throughout, with no "q8".
In that case, everybody would be getting full marks.

There has to be a question in there that differentiates people who really know what they're doing, from people rote learning their way up and doing well purely because they've seen every single possible question asked, rather than knowing how to be creative and approaching new questions.

HSC
I think the general level of difficulty will not change much..just the things tested will be less.

This is especially the case with 3U - before there were 7 questions, with a huge range of questions to be asked, but now there are 4 questions...there is much less that can be assessed.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I have a feeling that for MX2, the last question will be slightly easier than previous years.

My reasoning behind that is that the Examiners won't have the 'spare marks' for harder questions that don't exactly fall under a specific topic, and this is due to the reduced total.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I have a feeling that for MX2, the last question will be slightly easier than previous years.

My reasoning behind that is that the Examiners won't have the 'spare marks' for harder questions that don't exactly fall under a specific topic, and this is due to the reduced total.
I feel that the range will be just the same but there will be less questions throughout of the spread won't be as smooth but more "broken"?

For MX1, our school is making it super hard apparently, keeping the same length as the 84 mark format but they make each question worth less. Something like induction questions worth 2 marks.

lolcakes52

HSC
My schools trial did feel quite lengthy... I guess. We hadn't done mechanics or harder 3unit but my teacher stuck it anyway. Question 16 (the last one) was tricky but doable, basically it felt like question 8 material. I ended up getting 91, which is pretty good all things considered. I am a bit worried as with a lower amount of total marks, small mistakes have a greater impact.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
My schools trial did feel quite lengthy... I guess. We hadn't done mechanics or harder 3unit but my teacher stuck it anyway. Question 16 (the last one) was tricky but doable, basically it felt like question 8 material. I ended up getting 91, which is pretty good all things considered. I am a bit worried as with a lower amount of total marks, small mistakes have a greater impact.
What was the last question?

HSC
Our teachers were so lazy and did not care that they copied 2009 Syd Grammar Question 4 for our question 16. It was unbelievable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)