Social Clubs and Student Involvement (1 Viewer)

Angel45

HSC
Heya,

I’m going into 2nd year and so I’m thinking I want to up the uni experience while it's not the hell of 4 or 5 yr, but i'm ova first year craziness...branch outside of my lectures and tutes …

Anyone know of any good clubs to get involved in (most of the ones available to me when I began were like race-specific (e.g. south east asian), gender specific (womyn’s forum thing) or like queer clubs which is all good, but they don’t really suit me)...do we have a debating team?

Also, any info you could give me on where to look for updates or information on how to get involved in things such as open days or student papers (is there anything else besides The Onion??) or so forth would be great!

I not only want my resume to say more than “LLB/Communication Studies” plus any work experience I arrange but I myself would like to do some hands on stuff like at uni.

I’ve searched the UWS page and googled but I can’t find much…so any info u have from ur experience, or that of others or what u’ve seen in ur travels would be gr8

ta

Demandred

HSC
4 letters... BLEA. Business Law and Ethics Association.

We're laying the foundations of a soon-to-be super-duper UWS group. Join today!

Angel45

HSC
Demandred said:
4 letters... BLEA. Business Law and Ethics Association.

We're laying the foundations of a soon-to-be super-duper UWS group. Join today!
Indeed, looking 4wd to that. Also, the launch should be good.

L

LaraB

Angel45 - if you want details about more specifics about BLEA i can email you some stuff - been sending around some stuff to my old tutoring students who are looking at UWS for uni so got some stuff already typed up if you want it..

basically - summary of the stuff that's in the constitution - ie aims, roles of people in it, membership options... plus a little info about planned functions and that kind of thing..

figure i may as well do something useful since i'm Deputy exec. director :p

L

LaraB

if you want any info about clubs etc go to - https://uwssa.org.au/x/?q=node/25

these are the clubs available minus a few -

DIVERTUALITY
Sexuality/Queer collective of UWS Parramatta & Penrith
Web Site: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Divertuality_UWS/

FALUN DAFA MEDITATION CLUB
An ancient practice to improve body, mind & spirit - download leaflet here or Email: falundafameditationclub@fastmail.com.au

JAPANESE ANIMATION SOCIETY
Japanese Animation Society (JAUWS) Anime, Comics, Manga, J-pop culture & video games - http://www.jauws.org

UWS COPTIC ORTHODOX SOCIETY

providing a positive Christian atmosphere on campus.
Email: uwscopts@copticmail.com

UWS FILM CO-OP
Playing favourites of the big screen
Web Site: uwsfilmco-op.uwssa.org.au
Email enquiries: Daniel Cunningham, d.cunningham@uws.edu.au

UWS KUNG-FU CLUB
Free for all students - 4pm every Wed @ Fitness Centre.
Email: uwskungfu@hotmail.com

WINTER MANIACS
Organising affordable snow holidays for students.
Web Site: home.wanadoo.nl/wvdvelden/

UWS OUTLAWS
Penrith city gridiron team.
Web Site: www.uwsoutlaws.tk

UWS UN SOCIETY
The UWS United Nations Society
Web Site: www.uwsuns.org

there's also the UWS Law Students Assoc - but you have to be a law student to join..

soon to be Business, Legal and Ethics Assoc (BLEA) - for more info contact myself or JonathanA

Also the Lebanese Society - dunno why they're not on there coz they've got a pretty big member base

also - just as a side point - athough some clubs appear to be racially or culturally based or whatever - they're all open to anyone joining:)

i may have left some out so feel free to add any people:)

Angel45

HSC
LaraB said:
UWS UN SOCIETY
The UWS United Nations Society
Web Site: www.uwsuns.org

there's also the UWS Law Students Assoc - but you have to be a law student to join..

soon to be Business, Legal and Ethics Assoc (BLEA) - for more info contact myself or JonathanA
UN one doesn't look bad... thanks...and thanks for the website listing these too.

Yeah I did join the Law Assoc but we didn't do much this yr:S perhaps I'll look at getting more involved this yr and maybe even look at a role nxt yr.

Pity there's no debating team:S

Sweet, send on any BLEA info that'd be great. I've gotten powerpoints and so forth off JonathanA from when the launch was on and it def. looks good.. but if this is extra stuff for sure.. i'm exited about that

So apart from social clubs, any1 involved at all in a student paper (maybe besides the onion) or helped organise/helped out at any events? how do u find out about these things?

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Angel45 said:
Pity there's no debating team:S
Start it up then.

I would have looked at the UN one, but theres a new website under construction :(

klh

HSC
well all i am concerned is hwo do you join BLEA? ofocourse ive donwloaded that constitution before but has it changed, since it has changed its own name? are biz students allowed?

L

LaraB

klh said:
well all i am concerned is hwo do you join BLEA? ofocourse ive donwloaded that constitution before but has it changed, since it has changed its own name? are biz students allowed?
ALL students are allowed - we're not exclusive like LSA as far as we don't have a prereq that you are a business/law student to join...

the official constitution will be submitted shortly as part of the process of gaining official 'status' with the uni..

so we will be sending out details about joining soon - but in short, we are planning on having 2 types of members: financial members and non-financial members. Membership fee will be around the $4 or $5 mark (NOT CONFIRMED YET!! JUST A GUIDE!) for the year which is nothing when you think about it... non-financial members won't be able to vote at elections and teh like and there are other negatives but i won't mention them yet as they are to be confirmed... basically for a small amount, becoming a financial member will be beneficial:)

we changed the name to avoid any further shall i say... bitch fights... with other certain organisations who have a habit of kicking up a fuss about stuff they have no right either legally or just thru common sense to whinge about.. but we figured its just easier and the name doesn't really change much - still the same aims etc of the organisation.

When the constitiution is officially submitted i will post a thread in here with it attached or something like that so you can all have a look:)

but yeh - that's all foor the moment. Will have more details closer to uni starting again:)

Jonathan A

HSC
Noticed this Thread! lol

The Business Legal and Ethics Association should be a very good one at that! We are planning on many useful activities and structures which should benefit students.

Our Executive is structured like a corporation. Instead of President and committee members, we have a Board of Directors and liaison officers with Managers.

We are pioneering the concept of cross-networking which is where students from all faculties can network - a concept that means we simply don't have links with people from our networks.

We are encouraging networks with industry so students can build better links with people in their desired profession.

We are going to have special events to encourage involvement. Some on the list is the formal launch 2006, student summits, etc...

We are an Association focused on being professional with objectives to encourage knowledge and experience in Business, the Law and Ethical codes, common to all workplaces.

With such an Association, our hope is to expand to other universities and colleges.

We have sort of come to a motto to the effect of "For those who want to succeed." Our belief is that success goes beyond the cirriculum and we welcome everyone to join.

---------

As for the UN Society, I am a member and joined them at the Model United Nations Conference held at UNSW last year. UWS had one of the largest delegations. Furthermore our University funded the places, participants needed only to pay the social fee. Its worth joining. Many useful events and great oppurtunities.

I would recommend joining the UWSLSA if you are a law student. Other students who are interested in law can also join. The LSA is working on some very great projects at the moment. One in particular is the Advocacy Kit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)