Social Impacts of superconductors - (1 Viewer)

90atarpls

HSC
Hey guys, anybody got a website or notes on the Social impacts of Super conductors?
I need around 200 words on it o_O

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
200 words is nothing. Just say that they decrease travel times, increasing work productivity, increasing money and leisure time for people in the form of maglev trains and stuff, therefore increasing the standards of living.

You can also say that it decreases energy losses and stuff and hence decreases prices of electricity and stuff and hence allows standards of living to be raised as well.

Just elaborate on that. I've given you about 50 words to start on, making that longer you can get 200 out of it with no problems.

norrisalex

HSC
Superconductors would allow for low-voltage DC to replace high-voltage AC as the best method for power distribution as Power Loss = (I^2)(R), by removing R, there is no energy loss with DC. However, there are power losses with the switching inherent in AC transmission. This would increase public safety around power lines and would also allow for power production to be decentralised, opening the door for a distributed, completely green electricity grid.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
- better quality of life
- more efficient and cheaper in the long run
- better for the environment and reduced pollution in the atmosphere

+ what AD said

90atarpls

HSC
Thanks guys haha, i ended up just going to the 2011 hsc paper, had pretty much the same question, just built around 2 strong impacts

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Superconductors would allow for low-voltage DC to replace high-voltage AC as the best method for power distribution as Power Loss = (I^2)(R), by removing R, there is no energy loss with DC. However, there are power losses with the switching inherent in AC transmission. This would increase public safety around power lines and would also allow for power production to be decentralised, opening the door for a distributed, completely green electricity grid.
Safety around power lines in public reach is not much of a concern. Adding this in isn't too much of a reason as you would still be using quite a high voltage.

Fade1233

HSC
N/A
Hey guys, anybody got a website or notes on the Social impacts of Super conductors?
I need around 200 words on it o_O
See the transformer impacts. Most of them are the same i guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)