Society and Culture thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Danni07

happy little vegemite
HSC
So, how'd you go?

How'd you find it? I thought it was pretty good, but I disliked some of the questions, a little narrow for my liking.
What options did you do and which parts did you pick? I did 5b and 7a.
Also, what was the technique you used for question 4?

jack white

After Hours
HSC
i thought it was in between good and great, ya know. the questions were challenging but good challenging (especially popular culture...it really made me think). i am done now, woo-hoo.

society was cool, band 5 or 6 i hope.

Last edited:

HyPnOtiSeD

be my bad boy ...
HSC
:|

im ranked first in society at my school n i got 90% for the trial ... and i found this exam somewhat challenging, i was quite suprised with some of the questions AND when i asked my teacher about them after the exam his reply was "oh jeez it must have been a challenge for you all, you wouldnt have been prepared for q's like that" WELL THATS JUST HELPFUL AINT IT JUST!! i still wrote a lot n answered as best as i could so hopefully i did alrite :S

hYperTrOphY

HSC
I thought it was pretty good. I do equality and difference and work and leisure and I though both were reasonable.
The short answer questions were quite easy - although I'm not too sure how well I went in the last Q (6 marks).

I think many people would have struggled with the country question, although I didn't think it was too bad.

HyPnOtiSeD

be my bad boy ...
HSC
the country question was odd :S i had no idea bout the technique bullshit :| haha ... the short answers were good though :) everything else was a bit gay, could have been better!!!

jack white

After Hours
HSC
certainly could have been better, but at least it was completely horrible. it was good, nothing more. it is one of my better subjects but probably one of the "not-as-great" exams i sat. still good.

hYperTrOphY

HSC
What options did you do and which parts did you pick?
Equality and Difference - (A)
Work and Leisure - (A)

Also, what was the technique you used for question 4?
Statistical analysis and graphing to extrapolate trends, which can then be used to predict future trends and occurances. Not sure if it is correct though.

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
I did Work and Leisure (a) and Popular Culture (b). I feel like I did strongly on those buuutt...the Continuity and Change questions bowled me for six. I had NO idea about techniques, so I said by closely following how a theory of social change has effected a society, we can determine how it will continue to change it in the future, which is probably completely wrong.

I knew that I had probably gone off the wrong track, so I read and re-read, and decided that my argument was a strong one and where the society was headed was justified by the functionalist theory, so hopefully I still get something for it :S *fingers crossed*.

Other than that it was an ok paper. What did y'all choose for the last short answer question? I went with globalisation.

possum0610

yeh i went with globalisation as well im glad to hear it because the people i asked didnt chose like glob. wes. or mod. like any of them we did south africa in class so they just spoke about the dismatlement of apartheid or somthing so im glad u could do globalisation i got soo confused in the exam with that question and the technique one i did umm trend analysis i think i didnt explain it well but oh well.
for the essays i did pop culture- which i found kinda hard and equality and differnce- which i thought was fairly alright.
the short answers kinda threw me i wasnt expecting those concepts to be tested but they were fair and not to bad in the end. so overall i thought a fair exam, could have done better but no more society and culture!!!

lextasy

HSC
did well with it i think. the techniques question initially caught me off guard.. but then extrapolation came back to me... thank goodness... wrote lots for the essays... my hand hurt. and i stayed for the entire exam... did people leave early?

Danni07

happy little vegemite
HSC
Heaps of people left from mine. We have 16 in our class and only 3 were left at the end. I used "Studying past trends" as my technique so I could use all the stuff I knew about continuity and change in the part b.
Did anyone else get annoying 4 page booklets?

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
lextasy said:
did well with it i think. the techniques question initially caught me off guard.. but then extrapolation came back to me... thank goodness... wrote lots for the essays... my hand hurt. and i stayed for the entire exam... did people leave early?
At the end of my exam there were 3 people left out of 12 lol.

I'm SO mad at myself for screwing that Vietnam question. Do you still think they'll still award marks for predicting the future, despite someone using the wrong technique? I also said that by looking at past we can predict the future...4b was basically all continuity and change.

We got 4 page booklets as well. I saw so much string today between Modern and Society. What was with that?

Last edited:

bre

this is so depressing.

I screwed up so badly and this was the first exam I was actually confident for. and whats worse is that it was easy and I still managed to screw up.

=(

stupid hsc.

..it's so stupid.

helani

HSC
yeah i thought the exam was pretty fair. stayed the whole time. i didn't mind the person and environment concepts. content anaylsis - whew thank god i studied that. the social change question i did the abolishment of aparthied in south africa, but some of my friends did globalisation so its all good. i did scenario writting for question 4. kinda disapointed there wasn't anything on theories of social change :(. question 7 b and 8 b were okay. lol. we did impact of technology in work and leisure for one of our assesments. should have looked over it.....

hand hurts

rajeev

HSC
it was ok..

the persons and environment wasnt too hard but it was quite random..

i didnt like the content analysis applied in women and sports...

but that is like the general layout of the test so i cant bitch..

id love to see a scan of it, if anyone got a copy of it???

i did part a for both, the pop culture kinda screwed me over, i only did 3 pgs!!! :S

where as i did about 12 for equality and diff...

i didnt study enough, but if i did, it would have maybe helped me get like one or 2 marks more... so its all ok then!

oh and my hand hurts too... thank god i didnt have society and modern!

Brookie7

HSC
i reckon society is something that u could studying forever for and never really feel like u have covered enough!

Abbeygale

HSC
Out of all the exams, I'm happiest with SAC. The first two questions threw me a bit, and I think I cheated slightly- I pretty much said 'Environment impacts society and culture *egs*, so now I'm going to discuss persons' interaction with society and culture instead'. I think they'll give me a few pity marks for that, at least.

The question on content analysis and gender and sport was a bit of a gimme for me- in class we actually did a content analysis of surfing magazines, and I focused on the attitudes to women presented!

I used trend extrapolation for q4- we studied Native Americans, and I focused mostly on the futures in education.

Did everybody get the 4 page booklets? I couldn't understand why they gave us so little paper- they did the same in Modern, just two four page booklets and an eight page. In the end I asked the supervisor to give me a couple so he wouldn't have to keep coming back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)