Sparta Government (1 Viewer)

hurly

HSC
Im in need of Primary and Secondary sources (Written) about the Spartan Government for example different views on the government. Its for a speech

-Question What do primary sources and Secondary Sources tell us about sparta's form of government

-5 primary sources
-5 secondary sources

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
ON KINGS:
- Xenophon, Constitution of the Spartans, 15
‘He laid it down as law that the king shall offer on behalf of the state all public sacrifices, as being himself of divine descent, and shall lead wherever the state dispatches an army. He granted him to receive honorary gifts from the sacrifices, and he assigned him choice land in many of the subject cities, enough to satisfy moderate needs without excess of wealth.’
- ‘And in order that the kings also might dine in public he assigned them a public banquet, and he honoured them with a double portion each at the evening meal, not in order that they might eat twice as much as others, but that the king might have wherewithal to honour whomsoever he desired. He also granted each of the kings to choose two messmates called pythioi. He also granted them to receive out of every litter of swine one pig, so that the king might never be at a loss for sacrificial victims if in aught he wished to consult the gods…
All rise from their seats for the king, but ephors do not rise from their seats of office. Monthly they exchange oaths, the ephors on behalf of the state, the king himself in his own behalf. This is the oath on the king’s part: ‘I will exercise my kingship in accordance with the established laws of the state.’ And on the part of the state the oath runs: ‘So long as he shall abide by his oath we will not suffer his kingdom to be shaken.’
- Aristotle, The Politics, 3.1.1
‘Of constitutional kingships, the Spartan type is thought by some to come nearest to the true pattern. But this is not really so. This kings of Sparta command tha army on foreign expeditions, and may supervise religious worship; beyond that their sovereignty does not extend. This sort of kingship may accordingly be described as an independent and permanent generalship. It has never included the power of life and death…”

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
ON GEROUSIA:

- Xenophon:
“Lycurgus also provided for the continual cultivation of virtues even to old age, by fixing the election to the council of elders as a last ordeal at the goal of life, thus making it impossible for a high standard of virtuous living to be disregarded even in old age.... Moreover he laid upon them, like some irresistible necessity, the obligation to cultivate the whole virtue of a citizen. Provided they duly perform the injunctions of the law, the city belonged to them each and all, in absolute possession, and on an equal footing.... “.
- Polybius:
“in each constitution there is naturally engendered a particular vice inseparable from it: in kingship it is absolutism; in aristocracy it is oligarchy; in democracy lawless ferocity and violence; and to these vicious states all these forms of government are, as I have lately shown, inevitably transformed. Lycurgus, I say, saw all this and accordingly combined together all the excellences and distinctive features of the best constitutions, that no part should become unduly predominant and be perverted into its kindred vice; and that, each power being checked by the others, no one part should turn the scale or decisively out-balance the others; but that, by being accurately adjusted and in exact equilibrium, the whole might remain long steady like a ship sailing close to the wind. The royal power was prevented from growing insolent by fear of the people, which had also assigned to it an adequate share in the constitution. The people in their turn were restrained from a bold contempt of the kings by fear of the Gerusia, the members of which, being selected on grounds of merit, were certain to throw their influence on the side of justice in every question that arose; and thus the party placed at a disadvantage by its conservative tendency was always strengthened and supported by the weight and influence of the Gerusia. The result of this combination has been that the Lacedaemonians retained their freedom for the longest period of any people with which we are acquainted.”
- Plutarch:
“Amongst the many changes and alterations which Lycurgus made, the first and of greatest importance was the establishment of the senate, which having a power equal to the king's in matters of great consequence, and, as Plato expresses it, allaying and qualifying the fiery genius of the royal office, gave steadiness and safety to the commonwealth……..found in this establishment of the senate a central weight, like ballast in a ship, which always kept things in a just equilibrium; the twenty-eight always adhering to the kings so far as to resist democracy, and on the other hand, supporting the people against the establishment of absolute monarchy.”

MODERN HISTORIANS:
- “It would take a brave and confident king to pursue a policy that did not command the support of the majority of the Gerousia, knowing that in the event of failure, he was likely to be prosecuted upon his return.” Buckley ( see G E M De Ste Croix )
- “ Even the kings whose position was more exalted than of other citizens, were tried before the Gerousia and ephors…the Gerousia was the highest lawcourt in Sparta, the only court that could inflict the graver penalties of deat, exile or loss of civil rights.” Andrews
- “ Any Spartan, even a king, might be influenced in his course of action by the knowledge that he was likely to be prosecuted if he pursued an unsuccessful policy, in opposition to the wishes of the faction then dominant in the Gerousia..Xenophon tells us when King Cleombrotus was leading the army in Boeotia, and his friends told him that if he let the Thebans escape without a battle, he would be “ in danger of suffering the extreme penalty at the hands of the city.”And his enemies commented that this time Cleombrotus would really show whether the rumour of his partiality for the Thebans was true or not. The result was that Cleombrotus, who would have been well aware of the personal influence on many gerontes of the passionately anti Theban King Agesilaus, was prompted to join battle, perhaps against his better judgement.” (Ste Croix)

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
On the Ekklesia (Assembly)
- DECISION MAKING:
- “ After them the commoners
Shall make response to direct proposals
With conscientious speech and all just consequence,
Making no twisted plans against our realm
And commoner’s majority shall win the day”
Tyrtaeus

- “ But the people must have the ultimate authority and power…( rider ) But if the people shall speak crookedly, the elders and founder chiefs are not to ratify the motion, but must refuse to do this and they are to dismiss the people for perverting and changing the motion contrary to what is best.” Plutarch

- We know of some decisions that did:

- Xenophon tells us of the conspiracy of Cinadon in the first year of Agesilaos’ reign. The conspiracy was reported to the Ephors;” they did not even summon what is called the little Assembly but collected the gerontes from wherever each one happened to be, and their joint decision was to send Cinadon oit of town and arrest him quietly at Aulon
- Thucydides gives us a record of the debate in 432 on whether to go to war with Athens. It seems to exclude the Gerousia in any serious consideration. The Spartans “ held their usual assembly” which was addressed both by their allies and by an Athenian delegation; then all foreigners were removed while they debated among themselves and at the end a formal vote was taken.
- “ After this speech, Sthenelaidas, himself as Ephor, put the question to the Spartan Assembly. They actually make their decisions by shouting and not by voting, and he said that he could not distinguish which acclamation was louder, because he wanted them to show their opinion clearly and thus be all the more eager for war…” Thucydides

MODERN HISTORIANS:
- “The Assembly included everyone, but it seemed to have been a rather passive role. It could never initiate action nor amend proposals. It could only approve or reject and one may wonder how much independence of judgment was exercised by a body of men for whom strict military obedience was the paramount virtue.” Finlay
- “ The fact that it met so constantly gave it considerable power and the acts of the Ephors were always under review.” Michel

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
Not a problem, my apologies for the multiple posts, they seemed a bit long to combine all in one. n_n Hope they're useful to you, they were just some notes from a powerpoint my teacher presented to us when we studied Sparta.

Elliee

Crazy Kid
HSC
Ahhh Artemis Orthia you're amazing, these quotes are amazing!! Do you have any on the ephors?? If not all good, thanks so much :)

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
Ahhh Artemis Orthia you're amazing, these quotes are amazing!! Do you have any on the ephors?? If not all good, thanks so much :)
I don't have as many sources for the Ephors of Sparta; though I had a bit of a dig and here's some I found:

- P. Bradley - five ephors; possibly connected to the five villages of Sparta.
- 'They in effect, ran the state and were the day to day administrators of Spartan business' - Welch.

Here's an extract from Aristotle's writing: (so pick out any important points form this!)
“Another defect in the Lacedaemonian constitution is seen in connection with the office of ephor. The ephorate independently controls much important business. Its five members are chosen from among all the people, with the result that very often men who are not at all well-off find themselves holding this office, and their lack of means makes them open to bribery. . . . And just because the power of the ephors is excessive and dictatorial, even the Spartan kings have been forced to curry favor with them. And this has caused further damage to the constitution; what was supposed to be an aristocracy has become more like a democracy. In itself the ephorate is not a bad thing; it certainly keeps the constitution together; the people like it because it gives them a share in an office of power. So whether this is due to the lawgiver Lycurgus or to good fortune, it suits the circumstances very well. . . . But while it was necessary to select ephors from among all the citizens, the present method of selection strikes me as childish. The ephors have powers of jurisdiction also, and decide cases of importance; but considering that anybody at all may hold the office, it would be better that they should not have power to give verdicts on their own, but only to decide in accordance with stated rules and regulations. Nor does the way in which ephors live conform to the aims of the constitution. They live a life of ease, while the rest have a very high standard of strictness in living, so high indeed that they really cannot live up to it but secretly get round the law and enjoy the more sensual pleasures.”

There's a couple of other sources if you have a look around, I'd dig a little deeper around my notes and what not, but I'm currently dealing with my impending doom of an Earth exam tomorrow, and got to prepare myself to be crushed by bloody science. D:

Elliee

Crazy Kid
HSC
I love people like you Artemis :) I have have used up all my rep for today, but you are at the TOP of my list tomorrow!! <3 Thanks, good luck with your horrible science exam :| !!!

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
I love people like you Artemis :) I have have used up all my rep for today, but you are at the TOP of my list tomorrow!! <3 Thanks, good luck with your horrible science exam :| !!!
Haha, no problem. n_n Happy to help out when I can. :) Thank you, I need all the luck I can get. n_n

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)