Spartan Society (1 Viewer)

llauqs

HSC
I'm just going through the Spartan society - dot points at the moment...

I've come across a couple of ones that I'm not 100% sure about.

I'll post what I have and could others please confirm that its on the right track and/or add stuff?

Outline the main features of Spartan marriage customes
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Lycurgus disgraced bachelors [Plutarch, Lyk. 15]. They were forbidden to watch naked processions.
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Men kidnapped women/brides
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Bridesmaid would shave head and clothe the bride in a man’s cloak and sandals and left her lying on a pallet in the dark
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]The Bride’s groom, sober, came in, undid her belt and carried her off to the marriage bed
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]The husband would live in the quarters but would secretly see wife
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]This harnesses self-control and moderation.

Outline the funerary rites for kings
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]All forced to attend funeral
[FONT=&quot]o[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]One man and woman from each household dressed for mourning
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Declared King was the best
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]No treasury, meetings, elections for 10 days
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]News of death carried all over country
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Women went to capital, beating cauldrons

Discuss THREE Spartan gods and goddesses
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Artemis Orthia:
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Poseidon:
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Apollo:

thanks

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
Outline the main features of Spartan marriage customes
-Lycurgus disgraced bachelors [Plutarch, Lyk. 15]. They were forbidden to watch naked processions. (not 100% sure about that, I thought that they had to march naked in the cold winter and endure abuse from fellow Spartiates. Bachelors were definately disgraced though, even a strong Spartiate war-hero could be condemned if he did not marry and foster children)
-Men kidnapped women/brides
-Bridesmaid would shave head and clothe the bride in a man’s cloak and sandals and left her lying on a pallet in the dark (this is true, the girl's head was shaved and she was dressed in men's clothing while in the dark. This was probably due to the fact that man had lived with other men for his whole life, and probably had prior homosexual relationships. This tactic was used to 'ease' men into a heterosexual relationship.)
-The Bride’s groom, sober, came in, undid her belt and carried her off to the marriage bed
-The husband would live in the quarters but would secretly see wife
(yes)
-This harnesses self-control and moderation. (yes, also the men had to live at the Syssitia until the age of 30, but they could live with their wives after the age of 30 - however all men had to dine at the syssitia until the age of 60)
Outline the funerary rites for kings
-All forced to attend funeral
[FONT=&quot]o[/FONT]One man and woman from each household dressed for mourning
(yes)
-Declared King was the best
(yes)
-No treasury, meetings, elections for 10 days
(yes)
-News of death carried all over country
(yes)
-Women went to capital, beating cauldrons
(yes)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)