Speech Assessment HELP!!!! (1 Viewer)

Ghost1788

HSC
OK i got this assignment there are 2 questions
q1 Explain how Judaism and Christianity have demonstrated a role and response to Poverty

q2 evaluate the importance of Judaism and Christianity in influencing this issue in Australia today

i need alot of help in the direction of Judaism i have no idea of Judaism organisations that operate in Australia and address poverty similar with christanity
with christanity would the Vinnies van be helping with Christianity?

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Heres a start on Judaism:

Gemilut Chassidim – God gives unconditional love to his people, and the people should imitate this by caring for those who need it and doing acts of unconditional love and kindness. These actions are called the Gemilut Chassidim. This, the Torah and temple service are the pillars of Judaism. It is not just charity, but rather an attitude to give help to anyone needing it.

Community institutions for the old, the sick and the poor – Jews should be guided by the mitzvot, which urges them to think about the welfare of the community. This has given rise to a number of charitable institutes, which are a characteristic of Jewish society. Giving things to the old, sick and poor is not being charitable, but rather giving them the things that rightfully belong to them. It stresses the importance of preserving human dignity. It is better to ‘loan’ a person money without interest rather than ‘giving’ it, even if it not expected to be payed back, to save the embarrassment of the receiver. The best thing is to help the oppressed become self-supporting. The Jewish communal appeal is the central charitable organisation.

The Jewish communal appeal is the central charitable organisation.

I suggest you look up more on the Gemilut Chassidim and mitzvot to find out what they actually are as i didnt really say much about them.

Christianity:

Christians have readily responded to poverty through its extensive social welfare network. The work is not only to give handouts to these people, but more importantly to empower the poor to take charge of their own lives. There has also been emphasis on challenging the cause of this poverty. In the 1970s, the Anglican church forced the government into forming the Henderson inquiry into poverty in Australia, which has a significant positive impact on government social policies. Christians have also collaborated in social ministry and ecumenical statements on poverty and injustice. In more recent times, churches have spoken out against economic policies that reinforce inequities in society. Although some of the works of leaders have been criticised by politicians, they have still continued to work in the field. In 1993, Catholic bishops condemned the oppositions plans for a 15% GST as being disadvantageous to the poor and favouring the rich. This seemed to impact the next election. Ongoing lobbying exempted some foods from the GST when it was introduced mainly to help the poor.

Ghost1788

HSC
i thought that jewish people believe that their wealth is given to them for 'sum reason' and that this 'extra' welath belongs to the poor as such Jews are expected to give 10% of what they have to the poor...yes...no

what would be the role of say christianity...wouldnt the role of both be to stop poverty

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)