SRC Elections '07 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Hey guys, SRC elections are coming up on the 19th and 20th of September, and the campaigning period has already begun. There are a number of tickets running, some of which are:
SHOUT!: Ticket run by the Liberal Club, running on policies of delivering more practical, campus-level goals rather than trying to save the world. Supporting Josh for president.
Mojo: Ticket run by Labor Right, they're essentially running a Honi ticket and piggybacking SRC & NUS tickets onto the back of that, so this means they haven't actually suggested any real policies.
Ink: Independent Honi ticket.
NOW!: Ticket run by Labor Left, promising to continue the heavy emphasis on activist activity, end discrimination on campus, provide free education, etc. Supporting Kate for president.
I've yet to discover what ticket name the far left are running under, but they are definitely running one. They are supporting Sara for president.

Will post more information when I have it.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
SHOUT! Policy Statement
SHOUT! for SRC are a group of students from a diverse range of backgrounds who are united by a common goal: to depoliticise the SRC and provide an organisation which represents students, not student politicians.

We are running because we recognise that student organisations, as much as they might like to, can't change the world, but they can change your life on campus.

SHOUT! has has a 5 point plan to revitalise and reform the SRC so it serves ALL students.

The same faction has controlled the SRC for over 5 years. It's time to SHOUT for change!

What's wrong with the SRC?

For over 5 years the SRC has been run by the same group of Labor hacks, making the same promises every year, then using student funds to support the ALP and prepare themselves for pre-selection. Thousands of dollars are wasted on t-shirts, posters and protests, not to mention student salaries of up to $30 000, with NO benefit to university students. We believe in an SRC that serves all students, and does more than promote the petty ambitions of Labor functionaries.

We oppose student funds going to Anti-Israel protests.

How can we fix it?

If elected to the SRC, we will commit ourselves to achieving the following:

1. Funding for students, not student politicians.

If elected, we shall cut all funding for protests and campaigns not relevant to campus issues, and slash salaries for student office bearers (of which there are currently at least six earning over $10 000). This money should be spent on students, not student politicians. We eshall direct funds that were previously spent protesting to providing better academic appeals, legal aid and advocacy services, both at Camperdown and on satellite campuses.

2. Cheap Textbook hire.

If elected, we shall expand the role of the SRC bookshop to offer a textbook hire scheme. Textbooks for one Semester can cost upwards of $500. Often they are never used again. By establishing a textbook-hire scheme, students could rent their books over the course of a semester for a fraction of the cost of a new book. This will save students money, be more convinient, and provide the SRC with an additional long-term income stream, with money chanelled into its welfare and advocacy services.

3. Improve online facilities.

At the moment they are substandard compared to those at other universities. Improvements we will push for include:
*online recordings for all subjects in all faculties,
*free readers available online,
*wireless that actually works in every university building *unlimited download quotas (already enjoyed by IT students)
*online election voting to save time, money and resources

4. Academic Bill of Rights

If elected, we shall lobby the university to introduce an Academic Bill of Rights, to protect students from discrimination and academic bias and to restore the highest levels of integrity to the academic mission as a disinterested pursuit of knowledge. See threads for discussion.

5. Accountability.

Put complete and detailed SRC budgets up online on a monthly basis, and establish structures for participatory democracy by the student body, not just the student politician oligarchy - It's a student organisation and so should be accountable to students for every dollar it spends.

We also pledge to support secret-voting and non-binding caucuses for the National Union of Students to smash the factional back-room deals that currently dominate the NUS and give a voice for real students.

It's been over a decade since the SRC was controlled by students truly committed to achieving campus-level goals, representatives who put the wellbeing of their fellow students first and who worked hard because they actually saw the importance of what they did rather than because they were being paid to do so or to get their foot in the door with whichever political party took their fancy.

The SRC is your voice, and it's time to make yourself heard. It's your SHOUT!

SHOUT! for SRC
SHOUT! for NUS
SHOUT! for Honi
Josh Koonin for President!

Authorised by Justin Simon, 305140442

Last edited:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Josh Koonin is running for president? Pretty sure he was my maths tutor last semester.

2. Cheap Textbook hire.

If elected, we shall expand the role of the SRC bookshop to offer a textbook hire scheme. Textbooks for one Semester can cost upwards of $500. Often they are never used again. By establishing a textbook-hire scheme, students could rent their books over the course of a semester for a fraction of the cost of a new book. This will save students money, be more convinient, and provide the SRC with an additional long-term income stream, with money chanelled into its welfare and advocacy services.
Wouldn't this be needlessly expensive? How often will texts be replaced?

I do like the idea of free readers online though. Is that possible with copyright laws?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Josh Koonin is running for president? Pretty sure he was my maths tutor last semester.

Wouldn't this be needlessly expensive? How often will texts be replaced?

I do like the idea of free readers online though. Is that possible with copyright laws?
The cost of the hire would need to be determined based on a bunch of factors. A lot of the more popular subjects run classes in both semesters, and supposing textbooks were replaced once every 2-3 years one could probably charge $30 for a semester's hire while still making a profit, or at least breaking even while providing a valuable service to students.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Last group to hand me something or convince me why they're the best/why everyone else sucks gets my vote

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
withoutaface said:
I've yet to discover what ticket name the far left are running under, but they are definitely running one. They are supporting Sara for president.
It's called Student Rights or Student Life or Students R Awesome or something. Sara talked in both my lectures today, under the guise of promoting the protest at APEC. "Hi guys, I'm Sara and I'm running for SRC Prez. But I'm not here to talk about that..."

Who's the Labor Left supporting for Honi?

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Congratulations to Now! for being the first to miss out on my vote.

Duncan McKay also misses my vote for Uni senate for attempting to add me to facebook

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Vote [1] Sweaty Guy In Suit

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
On the back of the Now! flyer:

"In 2008 NOW! will campaign for the Government to.....act now to halt climate change"

They really see the important student issues

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Sexy photo of Justin Simon in Honi Soit...not that it influences my vote, of course.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
SRC ticket is Josh, Ben, Abi, Myself, Sonia, Sasha, and so forth, but you can vote below the line if you have issues with that, I suppose. :)

Neb: Which photo was it? I couldn't find any decent ones I wanted in the Honi so got the guy who was submitting noms online to find one...

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Labor Left are all hacks obsessed with changing the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)