St Marys Into Girraween (1 Viewer)

TheShy

HSC
Hey guys, so I just realized (I'm stupid) that the Girraween registration for year 11 next year closed already. I was too focused on getting into st Marys that I didn't look into Girraween, but now I realized that I'm too late. Plus side is that I did get into St Marys. So now I'm wondering if it is possible to go to Girraween when I'm at St Mary's. If it is possible, is it even worth it?

Accurate

clix
HSC
No it ain't possible, just go to St Marys, i didnt even get into that rip. So go to St Marys.

Accurate

clix
HSC
Also St marys is a good school I heard, you don't need Girraween to do well , you can produce good results in St marys senior

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
I would probably just stick to your current school. I have tutored many kids from St Marys who have got 95+ Atar, its a fairly good school

TheShy

HSC
Posted this thread some time ago, but anyways St Mary's is good, but it favours self-learning. They do give you a lot of resources and you can just study of it and if you need help you, the teachers are always there to help you. It wasn't really that much of a change since I was a bit ahead in yr 10 and so the things they teach rn act as revision. If I was you I would try and apply for something like girra then st marys. Then again, to do good, it doesn't depend on your school but yourself. As long as you are rank 1 its fine

vivillon

HSC
Also does your school affect how well you perform in the HSC...
btws, theres no harm in applying! If you get in, you have a second option. If you don't, it doesn't matter much since I'm sure you'll do fine at whatever school you end up at. I applied to a few schools last year and I ended up going to smshs however its still a pretty good school !! However, I would put more time in applications for selective schools, e.g. girra, penrith... (good luck :D)
Also does your school affect how well you perform in the HSC...
Sadly for those in lower ranked schools, it does. High ranked schools usually scale much better since the average is higher which brings up the entire grade.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Sadly for those in lower ranked schools, it does. High ranked schools usually scale much better since the average is higher which brings up the entire grade.
I wouldn't say this. It is highly inaccurate because school does not directly affect your mark or scaling or whatever else.

There have been many discussions about this here on bos and so all I'm gonna say is do not worry about it. No it will not directly affect scaling or your marks, just focus on yourself and doing well and I assure you that you will get a great mark that will reflect your ability and would be the same anywhere you go.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
If that is the case why do people seek to change schools in year 11?
Because most high school students get caught in the hype of 'better school = better ATAR' not realizing that it's nothing but your hard work that gets you a good mark.

I went to a school that was ranked 300+ and I did just fine.

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
If that is the case why do people seek to change schools in year 11?
They believe the grass is greener on the other side... its where you plant it that matters.

But obviously a higher ranked school would be better but it wouldn't be bad to stay in your lane.

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
I really love the fated connection between Dawn and Dusk here, like Dusk is coaching Dawn about mechanics of the HSC.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
But don't the low guys drag you down?
No see this is a major misconception. Lets talk about 2U Maths as an example.

If you went to a school ranked 500+ and achieved straight 90s, ranked 2nd which was equivalent to a straight band 6 for that school, and then you went to James Ruse. At JR you would be ranked probably in the 50s. Therefore getting a rank of 50 in JR is equivalent to getting 2nd at your school.

NESA recognizes the above scenario and adjusts appropriately. The only difference is if you screw up the External at JR then your internal mark will still be very high because everyone around you is getting band 6's whereas in the 500+ ranked school your internal will probably be a lot lower because everyone in your school is getting band 4's.

This is why I say focus on yourself and your own ranks and marks! because if you do no one can drag you down and your marks will really good.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Can someone explain what external and internal marks are?
External is the final HSC Exam at the end of the year. It is a mark of how you performed on that exam. Internal is a culmination of the marks for your assessments and assignments you do in year 12 in your school. Together they make 50% each of your FINAL mark. Their average is taken to calculate your final mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)