STAT results and law transfer (1 Viewer)

thebigsleep05

HSC
N/A
Hey everyone,

I've been interested in studying Law. I took the STAT test and ended up scoring 160, which is an 83.2 atar equivalent. I've been looking at UWS for their Arts/Law and Law degrees. Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws is 95 and so is Bachelor of Laws. Obviously 83.2 is nowhere near that. I do also live in south western sydney, but I'm not sure whether or not I'm eligible for those bonus points since I'm applying based on my STAT score. However, I've heard a LOT about unis taking students who score under the advertised atar scores, and I know UWS is a bit more lenient in terms of entry requirements. My question is, what are my chances of getting into UWS Arts/Law and UWS Law? Even if I'm not offered a spot in the first round, would I have a chance of being offered a spot later on? Would it help if I wrote a letter about why I wanted to study law and submitted the file in my application? I have health science as a backup, which I already meet the requirements for, but I'd love to be able to do law if there's any chance of it.

Thanks!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
There seems to be very limited information on UAC, ACER and WSU's websites regarding the STAT. Generally speaking, you will most likely not be made an offer with an ATAR equivalent that is considerably lower than the specified ATAR for your chosen degrees. In terms of living in the South Western Sydney region, you may be eligible to receive 5 Regional Bonus Points depending on where exactly you live, provided this can be applied to an ATAR equivalent component. You can determine whether your area is eligible via the following link:

Regarding leniency, WSU is rather lenient when it comes to its HSC True Reward Early Offer Program as it sets some rather low academic requirements for some degrees. I don't think they would be as lenient with respect to normal applications. This also implies that your academic capabilities/background matters more than the offer rounds. While including a written statement explaining the reason for which you wish to study Law in your application may not guarantee anything, it isn't a bad idea and it definitely wouldn't hurt to include one.

Alternatively, the fact that you have the Bachelor of Health Science as a guaranteed backup allows you to eventually study Law via an internal transfer to a Bachelor of Laws or Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws, provided your performance (results + GPA) is favourable.

The best option would of course be to contact Western Sydney University directly as they are the ones who can assist you in resolving your issue with maximum accuracy and effectivess:

📧 study@westernsydney.edu.au

I hope this helps! :D

thebigsleep05

HSC
N/A
Yeah I checked and it said I was eligible for 5 points, so my 83.2+5 should take me up to an 88.2, I'm just not sure whether that still gives me any shot at all or if its completely out of the picture. But based on what you've said, I most likely will have to do a Bachelor of Health Science and consider a transfer. Thanks for the help!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I checked and it said I was eligible for 5 points, so my 83.2+5 should take me up to an 88.2, I'm just not sure whether that still gives me any shot at all or if its completely out of the picture. But based on what you've said, I most likely will have to do a Bachelor of Health Science and consider a transfer. Thanks for the help!
No problem, best of luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)