Stimulus booklet, what are you picking? (1 Viewer)

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
you should be looking at at least 3 or 4 texts to study rather than one.. its quite possible they will specify which text to talk about so you have to be prepared!!

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Morning Glory said:
you should be looking at at least 3 or 4 texts to study rather than one.. its quite possible they will specify which text to talk about so you have to be prepared!!
Um..no?
I did the course last year and we analysed multiple stimulus texts to aid in our essay making, not because they can specify which one in the HSC as to my recollection they have never shown the slightest hint of doing so before. In addition I only used one in my HSC exam so you don't need to utilise multiple stimulus texts in the *one* essay. What you do need to do, is choose *one* prescribed text from your focus area, *one* stimulus piece, and *two* pieces of related material, though many standard students only end up using one piece and some are only taught that they must use one piece.

When conferring with the markers when discussing the new AOS, many teachers were advised to promote Wind in the Willows as the stimulus text to use (this is what my english teacher stated she was told, I make no claim to its veracity or otherwise) but the majority of our class became disenchanted with Wind in the Willows and analysed other stimulus booklet materials instead, with the Road Not Taken being a particularly popular choice, the one that I found easiest was Journeys Over Land and Sea as it allowed you to analyse both visual and textual features.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Morning Glory said:
No, you only need one. Refer to kami's post above. :)

My teacher discouraged us from choosing The Road Not Taken because she said it has been overused. I'm choosing Journey to the Interior because it focuses on the imagination and the inner journey.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
ok, the question of 'how many texts?' is one that seems to come up ALL the time so, when i was doing my hsc last year i asked my father (hes been a senior hsc marker for english for god knows how long) and he said that whilst deparmental outlines leaves the POSSIBILITY for them to specify which text you are ot respond to they never have and never will because it isnt considered giving a fair chance to everyone. so, thats that bit answered.

asfor how many stimulus texts to speak of its generally considered that its only needed to talk about ONE stimulus text --> more marks are likely to be gained by the successful integration of more than one found text of different forms. however, most teachers recommend that students have enough knowledge of a second text form the stimulus booklet and how it links in with their other texts that they could write an essay using the alternate text if the question asked didnt particularly fit their first choice of stimulus text. however, that said, the questions are so general that it probably would never happen that your material couldnt be adapted

Sarah_Lou

hsc ova
HSC
it is possible that they will specify a text, as i run to morning glory's defence! our teachers attended a forum in which the lady who compliled the stimulus booklet said that they CAN specify which text to do, it is always best to be prepared and know at least 2 in detail - imagine the shock you will get if they DO specify this year and you hardly know that text!

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
As Sarah Lou said, our teacher told us that on a day run by the people who set the stimulus booklet, huge attention was drawn to the fact that teachers must prepare their students for the worst because they can specify a text.

Whilst people mention that it isnt likely they will specify, this can be both true and untrue. wouldnt it make much more sense that they would specify a text from the stimulus booklet (something that everyone studies) rather than specifying on a section where everyone does different texts?

and anyway.. seeing as it is POSSIBLE that they can specify, wouldnt you much rather learn 3 or 4 and be absolutely prepared for the worst? that kind of makes sense :p

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
From The BOARD of STUDIES NSW :
This booklet is a prescribed text. In the HSC examination
students may be asked to refer to at least one text that
they have selected from the stimulus booklet.

Note the word selected. You must refer to at least one text from the stimulus of your own choosing.

Sphyx

Asphyxiated
HSC
kami said:

Note the word selected. You must refer to at least one text from the stimulus of your own choosing.

Q.E.D.

I'm only going to chose one text, Victor Kelleher, for my imaginative journey essay, basically in combination with Coleridge and my related material (Matrix and The Little Prince ) it allows for a scope of text types, and I can analyse a wide range of techniques.

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
I'm doing two, just to be safe. "The Road Not Taken" (overdone, I know, but I think it's beautiful), and "Journey to the Interior". I'm also pretty familiar with "The Town Where Time Stands Still" so I think I could write some babble if required.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
I am doing town where time stands still-shirley goek lin lim

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
kami said:

Hi guys!

thanks for clearing that up Kami i was beginning to get worried as no one has ever mentioned that they could "specify"... nyways...

i'm choosing the "The ivory trail" and S.G. lin Lim

for supps.. i'm using "The Matrix" and some scholar a minority have only heard about... he kind of decsribes imagination from a scientifc perspective.. it's extremely interesting and i can relate it to S.G lin lim and "The Matrix" and linking it with Coleridge poems will be pritty easy

By the way r u guys memporising responses?... I'm just memorising loads of quotes... i have at least 6 quotes from each text exclusing those from the stimulus booklet .. for example "the ivory trail"... i mean 6 quotes?... lol... it's a visula.. so yeh....

EDIT: Kami i never did congratulate u on becoming an Uncle.....
Congratulations!!!

Last edited:

kaylz

HSC
I'm doing the exceprt by Professor Shirley Geok-Lin Lim.

waterbottle

your buttcheeks is warm
HSC
there is no way they can expect all students to know everything about the SEVEN texts from the stimulus booklet as well as all the other texts we need to remember. i know two in detail (shirley geok-lin lim and atwood) and i will decide which to use when i see the question.

also, i was told they couldn't specify which stimulus text because some of them are obviously more closely linked to specific journeys (eg road not taken is physical so it would be harder for someone doing say imaginative journeys to do as well).

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
For the trials at least my teacher (Also head of dept, and setting the exam) said one of the stimulus items in Paper 1 may be just a text from the Stimulus booklet. The catch is however, the actual text will not be included, It would just say "Text 2: The road not taken".

So yeah that requires me to know ALL the stimulus book texts really well

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Well we only got taught text 6 and text 7
so yeah
im using town where time stands still

they arent gonna specify one in the HSC anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)