• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Structure of cellulose! (1 Viewer)

Dragie

HSC
Ok...What exactly is the structure of cellulose? The only thing I know about it is that it makes up biomass...or something lol but obviously I need more. I don't understand much on glucose either. Sugar sucks lol...but seriously any help would be much appreciated!! :)

P

pLuvia

Cellulose is a biopolymer also a condensation polymer, a biological polymer i.e. comes from biomass. It is a polymer of the monomer glucose going through a condensation reaction (basically a dehydration reaction which includes the catalyst concentrated sulfuric acid as the catalyst) which is the removal of small molecules usually water molecules.

The chemical formula of glucose is C6H12O6
Where as cellulose has the formula HO - C6H10O4 - OH

Riviet

HSC
N/A
In cellulose, every second glucose molecule has been "inverted". As a result, cellulose is an unbranched glucose polymer, whose monomer units are joined in a way to create a very linear molecule.
Cellulose is a very strong substance, as shown by the strength of wood and other plant materials. This is due to the linear chain formed that is optimal for the construction of fibres with a very high tensile strength.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)