student allowance - get rid of it... (1 Viewer)

Crestwood's_G

In Elegance
HSC
ok...i am not whatsoever jealous...

i am angry that some people are allowed to claim this and i am not because the only parent in my family supposedly earns more than 2 parents in another...

the money is meant to be spent on TAFE or uni...whereas the kid (its mostly teens who claim it) keep it to themselves and spend it on leisure...

it is therefore assumed TAFE and uni is being paid for by their parents...so why give these people money when it is obvious they dont need it...thats 5000 dollars of mine and your tax dollars going to lazy arse kids who are spending uni money on petrol and going out with mates...

whereas i have worked hard to buy my car and earn money to go out with mates...

its simply stupid...

give your opinions...and i also realise that this student allowance isnt always spent this way

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Crestwood's_G said:
i am angry that some people are allowed to claim this and i am not because the only parent in my family supposedly earns more than 2 parents in another...
Centrelink takes means testing very seriously. Perhaps the wrong income limit has been applied, there are a lot of people I know who fail means testing yet are still in need of assistance.

the money is meant to be spent on TAFE or uni...whereas the kid (its mostly teens who claim it) keep it to themselves and spend it on leisure...
No. The money is given to the students so they have money to live off while at TAFE or university. One who receives Youth Allowance might spend his/her money on groceries, or Youth Allowance + Rent Assistance on groceries, bills, and rent (though this is always never enough to pay every bill, and jobs are still needed). Youth Allowance is designed to give students who wouldn't be able to otherwise afford the costs associated with higher education a chance to study, get decent jobs, and again contribute back to the system with their income tax so they can give others a chance.
You're also using the irresponsibility of one person to judge everybody who has access to Youth Allowance. Centrelink gives people money, with the assumption that this money will be spent wisely. If it's not, and the customer needs more money, they will have to wait until the next pay. How this money is spent is not Centrelink's concern, however.

it is therefore assumed TAFE and uni is being paid for by their parents...so why give these people money when it is obvious they dont need it...
That's a big assumption. How are you sure this person is not spending his/her money on TAFE/uni? How are you sure this person doesn't have money left over, and is using that for a social life? While you may disagree completely with using Youth Allowance money for a social life, how are you so certain that this person is spending all his or her money on going out?

thats 5000 dollars of mine and your tax dollars going to lazy arse kids who are spending uni money on petrol and going out with mates...
Youth Allowance on petrol? Last time I checked, people needed a way to get to and from university/TAFE. Thus spending Youth Allowance on petrol isn't "misuse" as far as I can tell. Do you expect this person to simply materialise in and out of university when required?
Also, five thousand tax dollars going to lazy arse kids? I'm certain that some Youth Allowance is spent this way. In fact, I'm sure there exist Centrelink customers who are doing their best to remain on Youth Allowance without any effort to finish what they are doing and just start working. However, I'm also sure that a large number, possibly the majority, or something would've been done about this long ago, are not only spending their Youth Allowances wisely, but are doing their best to finish their time at university as quickly as possible so they may find a job, and begin contributing tax dollars to pay for others who need the money.

give your opinions...and i also realise that this student allowance isnt always spent this way
Perhaps a change in Centrelink would be more desirable. Not the implementation of "you spend money where we tell you to" or "we spend money for you" as this would be a severe removal of human dignity to those involved, but stricter regimes for accessing such allowances.

Perhaps develop a HECS like system for Youth Allowance. The money students receive from the government in the form of Youth Allowance is accumulated on top of HECS-HELP, requiring the student to pay it back in the same way they pay back HECS-HELP/OS-HELP/FEE-HELP. That way "tax dollars" are simply loaned to students in the form of Youth Allowance, and they have the responsibility to pay this back in the same way they'd pay back their HECS-HELP debt.
I'm not an economist, though, so I can't see whether or not that'd work.

Miles Edgeworth said:
Maybe leave home hey then you qualify for it hey
Or he could get kicked out of home. Once he proves to Centrelink that he and his parent cannot live together, they'll ignore her completely in determining eligibility.

banco55

HSC
I think the student allowance is one of the more reasonable benefits centerlink offers. I object more to the single parent, disability payments etc.

gerhard

HSC
Student Allowance system is a joke.

To get student allowance while living at home you have to prove you are independent from your parents. You can do this by earning a certain amount of money in a certain amount of time. I have a friend who lives at home, doesnt have to pay board or for food or whatever, and who managed to work enough while attending full time uni to qualify for independence from his parents. He then quit his job and now collects student allowance instead.

Now the only reason why he can get free money off the government and I can't, is because he earnt more money in the past. So because he has more money than me, he is entitled to free money.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Crestwood's_G said:
Your parents can afford to support you then. Stop being a crybaby.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
i reckon the deserving applicants for the student allowance should be only allowed to be spent on school only. what the government can do is to transfer the money into a special account, where it can only be accessed with along the payment for the school fees etc. pretty much like HECS but its a pre-paid support.

Skeeta

HSC
jb_nc said:
Your parents can afford to support you then. Stop being a crybaby.
Even if your parents have money, it doesnt mean they support you.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Skeeta said:
Even if your parents have money, it doesnt mean they support you.
"Won't" is different to "can't".

Skeeta

HSC
I realise this. But it works under the assumption that the majority of students are supported by their parents.

What i mean is, the student is realistically in the same situation as one that 'cant' support them.
I understand why the system is like this, because then all parents could just say "oh i dont support my kid" and then they get cash, but yeah... i believe it is a slight flaw.

Last edited:

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
get a job, earn $17k+ in 18months, then get the benefit, thats how i did it, and how i imagine all but the most disadvantaged of people get it

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
FireFlower said:
People who recieve youth allowance will end up paying taxes, so in a way they sort of pay back what they recieved from centerlink. In fact, university graduates tend to have higher paid jobs than unskilled workers, so they will pay more tax. I think it balances out in the end.
:eek:

You mean they're given free money so they can later get more money than other people?

Wallyhead

HSC
I can see the irony of 'qualifying' got youth allowance. My parents easily earn too much, and i live comfortably, yet would love extra spending money. When i was broke and having to stay home whilst my friends were out having fun i couldnt get any youth allowance. Having worked and approaching the 17k, i will soon be able to claim 'free' money, even though i have plenty and dont know what to do with it all.

I guess there have to be limits put on it somewhere, just happens to be tha tit works the way it does. If they changed the rules then someone else would miss out and others become eligible who need/dont need it respectively.

mcs

HSC
the system is rubbish...... it fails to support those that really need the help to go to uni while supporting many people (through no fault of their own) that in no way need the same level of support. The means testing is all nice and well, but when it excludes those that really need the help and gives free money as such to those that get it just because they have worked and earned a certain amount of income in the past. But I guess its better then not having a system at all. But I would like to be able to recieve youth allowance this year. My parents by no means are high earners and we struggle to keep it all going but I cant get a penny out of the Government because they earn too much. Meh you win some and you lose some i guess!

Crestwood's_G

In Elegance
HSC
i have to pay board...so how am my parents supporting me? i got to TAFE...my mate goes to uni...i earn my money...he does to...but he gets the student allowance because his only parent (his mum) does not work...only because she has saved up enough money in the past to not have to work any more...so how the fuck does that work???

oh by the way:

she bought his brother a new car, the whole family a plasma TV, those exercise bikes, a dog and a treadmil...so dont tell me theyd be struggling

BlackDragon

HSC
Crestwood's_G said:

it is therefore assumed TAFE and uni is being paid for by their parents...so why give these people money when it is obvious they dont need it...thats 5000 dollars of mine and your tax dollars going to lazy arse kids who are spending uni money on petrol and going out with mates...

its simply stupid...

I get Youth Allowance and this is the only way i'll ever be able to afford to go to college. Every bit of it goes into paying for it. Just because some people spend it foolishly it doesn't mean other people don't depend on it, and it doesn't mean other people don't deserve it. It is through this, and my job that i am paying my way through university and giving myself a great opportunity.
But no, take it away because it is "Stupid".

dion7789

Dodgy Pen Dealer
HSC
Crestwood's_G said:

its simply stupid...

i agree with u 100% i was at centrelink today and they told me i wont get any...like wtf my dad works 2 jobs to pay bills and i do not see 1c of his money it is always the same ppl that get this money and those that need it dont get it...if these teens are too f**king lazy to go out and do an honest days work then why should they get it (no offence to anyone here that recieves this payment)...i agree get rid of youth allowance/student allowance or be fair about how it is given out

BlackDragon

HSC
dion7789 said:
i agree with u 100% i was at centrelink today and they told me i wont get any...like wtf my dad works 2 jobs to pay bills and i do not see 1c of his money it is always the same ppl that get this money and those that need it dont get it...if these teens are too f**king lazy to go out and do an honest days work then why should they get it (no offence to anyone here that recieves this payment)...i agree get rid of youth allowance/student allowance or be fair about how it is given out
Read my post. There are many many people like me out there.

Look i think this is how it goes:

There will always be people who exploit things. That is the nature of this world. Nothing can ever be truelly fair. However, should we really wreck it for the thousands of hard working, honest, hopeful young adults? Should we stop giving them opportunities that they otherwise would not have? No. We cannot. It would be even more unfair. All we can do is support those who deserve it and as best we can weed out those who exploit something which is good. Most people who get this need this. I don't know where I would be without it.

Last edited:

Crestwood's_G

In Elegance
HSC
BlackDragon said:
I get Youth Allowance and this is the only way i'll ever be able to afford to go to college. Every bit of it goes into paying for it. Just because some people spend it foolishly it doesn't mean other people don't depend on it, and it doesn't mean other people don't deserve it. It is through this, and my job that i am paying my way through university and giving myself a great opportunity.
But no, take it away because it is "Stupid".
well i say good luck in the future...not sarcastically im being serious...its good that you arent rorting the system like most people i know who recieve this "benefit"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)