Students with 14 units, advice and motivation (1 Viewer)

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
I'm doing 14 units because i have absolutely no idea what to drop. It's been doing my head in for the past few days, thinking of a subject to drop. Now, i've come to decision i'll keep the 14 units and work my way through it like past HSC students have and managed to live.

IS anyone else doing 14 units? What are your reasons for taking 14 units? DO you think you could manage- if you did do 14 units?

dux&src

HSC
@ dd24: Final exam as in last trial exam?

@ dragonmaster262: we have a very, similar subject selection ;) though i'm pretty sure economics is more challenging than biology and eng. over the maths...lol

DO you have any doubts as to whether you'll be keeping them for the whole year? I don't know anyone else doing 14 units personally other than an 09'er.

I have one free period this term every cycle :lol: and every time i ask someone what they have, they tell me "free period" and i get jealous. Do you have any 'free' periods?

Last edited:

saberbladexx

HSC
Guy at my school has no free periods and has to come at 8am in the morning on tues,wed,thurs,fri.

dux&src

HSC
I have 2 but I have classes after school which is a real bummer.
try before school leaving home at 6:55am for class (75 minutes class)

Guy at my school has no free periods and has to come at 8am in the morning on tues,wed,thurs,fri.
haha half an hour early for me :) but i do it twice a week.

Does the guy have his morning classes for like 40 minutes only? Cause school normally starts about 8:30ish in most schools? :confused:

Brontecat

HSC
i had the equivalent of 14Units for the last year - and i honestly don't think its worth having such a heavy load (epec. seeing as my load including prelim math/bio+ hsc math/bio =4 -- so in a way i kinda had it easier) it would be much, much easier to just drop one subject, even if you carry it about 5 wks into r 12 or something rather than neglecting one down the track or spending less time on all ur subjects because you have so many. Besides, do u rlly need two back-ups for your ATAR (assuming u want one :) )

Anyways thats just my opinion & how i went, but it obviously works for some ppl, so its basically just u thinking of how well you can go & what you can achieve.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Doing fourteen units is excessive and such a waste of energy.
and makes the HSC hellish. Which it really isn't if you are strategic about your study. Having 14 units pretty much buffers any attempt to study strategically because there's just so goddamn much.

Case Study time! --> A girl at my school started off the year with 14 units. She had won the academic achievement prize every year since she came to our school (Year 9) and she really is a highly intelligent girl, who was aiming for 98+ ATAR (and we all thought it was achievable). However, due to the amount of work she has been doing, and her refusal to drop any units, she is averaging 80ish in all her subjects, and her dreams of 98+ ATAR ...well, that ain't gonna happen anymore. Also, she didn't get dux which literally everyone thought she would.

Don't do 14 units. It's not benefitting anyone.

saberbladexx

HSC
Does the guy have his morning classes for like 40 minutes only? Cause school normally starts about 8:30ish in most schools? :confused:
For 50mins, we start at 8:50-3:10, so he has 100 mins each of morning class for HX1 and MX1 per week.

LordPc

HSC
@Arceupins

you are making the assumption that people only want to get the highest ATAR

I took 15 units cause I wanted to learn the content, just for the love of knowledge. factor that into your equations

LordPc

HSC
@Arceupins

you are making the assumption that people only want to get the highest ATAR

I took 15 units cause I wanted to learn the content, just for the love of knowledge. factor that into your equations
ill add to this, I think you are also making other assumptions, such as all courses be equally difficult

I know there are certain courses I can just do well in with minimal study, while there are other courses that I need to do a lot of study for to get the same results. If I were to take 10 units of the courses I find easy I would not do worse if I picked up another course I found easy.

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, I'm doing 14units. But right now, it's only really 12 since my german teacher hasn't sent me the work for this term yet =\ I have 10frees a fortnight, but morning class for MX2 every thursday and friday. I should probably drop something, but it'd be so hard to choose what to drop, so I'll probably take the 14 through til the HSC, unless I die first >__o

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
LordPc, I know what you're saying, but I still agree that you should do as minimal amount as possible for the HSC. I think there's plenty of time in life left for learning, you can take on extra interest subjects in your uni course, or just read about your other interest areas for leisure, but I don't know why you would do it in such an important year for the rest of your life which is incredibly stressful even doing the bare minimum.

Let's admit that the majority of people (on this site at least), have the aim of receiving a high Atar. I think for THIS PURPOSE, it is logical to do 10 or 11 units, (at the MOST, 12) I don't understand why you would do any more.

It's like, if a genie came along and said;

"Ahh, hello, stressed out HSC student! I can grant you more time to do less things!"

Wow, doesn't that sound great!

I don't know why the message gets lost when it comes to dropping subjects...

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
But I mean hey, I'm only looking out for the mental health of fellow HSC'ers, as I know I couldn't handle that workload.

If it's your choice, it's your choice, so goodluck.

LordPc

HSC
being honest with myself:
-if it wasnt for eng ext 2 I probably would never actually put in effort into writing a solid short story
-if it wasnt for eng ext 1 I would never have watched the great play The Real Inspector Hound and would never have learnt about crime fiction
-if it wasnt for economics I would not understand the economy as much as I do now
-it it wasnt for english advanced I would never have read brave new world
-if it wasnt for chemistry I wouldnt know about Avogadro

the HSC is far from perfect, but it did teach me a lot of stuff that I would not have gone away and learnt on my own

I wanted to do well in the HSC, but I've never really thought of going for law or med, so getting a super high ATAR of 99 wouldnt have made any difference to me

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
being honest with myself:
-if it wasnt for eng ext 2 I probably would never actually put in effort into writing a solid short story
-if it wasnt for eng ext 1 I would never have watched the great play The Real Inspector Hound and would never have learnt about crime fiction
-if it wasnt for economics I would not understand the economy as much as I do now
-it it wasnt for english advanced I would never have read brave new world
-if it wasnt for chemistry I wouldnt know about Avogadro

the HSC is far from perfect, but it did teach me a lot of stuff that I would not have gone away and learnt on my own

I wanted to do well in the HSC, but I've never really thought of going for law or med, so getting a super high ATAR of 99 wouldnt have made any difference to me
Yeah, well of course, it's different if you're not aiming for a super high atar.. I would love to do history and SAC, and there are lots of important things to know in business and economics, but I know that it would have just been unwise for me to do these for HSC since I'm aiming for a fairly high one. Idk, there's pro's and con's for each..

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
I'm doing 12 and I can't handle. I can't imagine what 14 would be like.

Good luck is all I can say.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)