Study and Time Management (1 Viewer)

oowwoo

HSC
Looking for some tips on managing time and studying effectively. Currenly doing ext 2 maths, adv eng, chem, phys and business. So far ext 2, chem and physics haven't been a huge pain but english definitely is and i'm not too sure what to do about it. Is it worth it just to prioritise english last and try to maximise marks in my other subjects?

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Looking for some tips on managing time and studying effectively. Currenly doing ext 2 maths, adv eng, chem, phys and business. So far ext 2, chem and physics haven't been a huge pain but english definitely is and i'm not too sure what to do about it. Is it worth it just to prioritise english last and try to maximise marks in my other subjects?
English always counts 2 units towards your ATAR. So you will need to focus on English. Maximizing marks in other subjects might be a good idea if your able to score like 95+ in 4u, 96+ in 3u and 93+ in your other ones, which can allow you to get a 98+ atar while only getting mid band 5 in english. However this is very challenging to do and if you feel like you can't, make sure to get your english marks up there too!

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad
Is it worth it just to prioritise english last and try to maximise marks in my other subjects?
I'm going to play a bit of devil's advocate here. The only ATAR you need is the one that will get you into the uni course you want.

What do you want to do at uni? If your course is a 93 (consider adjustment factors/bonus points as well) then it doesn't matter whether you get 93.00 or 99.95. Either way you're in.

So if you're absolutely sure you can get the ATAR you need, you can afford to give English a lower priority.

But don't neglect English so much that it causes you to miss out on a uni offer because your ATAR was too low.

(please disregard this post if you want to do medicine)

HoldingOn

HSC
I'm going to play a bit of devil's advocate here. The only ATAR you need is the one that will get you into the uni course you want.

What do you want to do at uni? If your course is a 93 (consider adjustment factors/bonus points as well) then it doesn't matter whether you get 93.00 or 99.95. Either way you're in.

So if you're absolutely sure you can get the ATAR you need, you can afford to give English a lower priority.

But don't neglect English so much that it causes you to miss out on a uni offer because your ATAR was too low.

(please disregard this post if you want to do medicine)
I completely agree with this. I approached it the other way- although my degree requires only 95 I put my heart and soul into the HSC. And although I’m expecting 99.5+ it really isn’t worth it...

sida1049

HSC
Actually, putting in a solid amount of work for English, even though you won't enjoy it (I really didn't enjoy it), is good practice for doing things that you might not want to do, but you should do. This is good practice for the work you have to put into uni, and for your life in general.

(also, never underestimate how big of an impact a shitty mark in English can have on your ATAR)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)