Study - Combating Boredom and Techniques? (1 Viewer)

rantman

HSC
N/A
These are questions for those who have done and are doing the HSC.

1. How did you overcome or prevent getting bored while studying or doing h/w for the HSC?

2. Concerning study technique, how did you study the syllabus (e.g. lots of reading, dot points, taped/recorded summaries, watching tv while studying, etc?)

7minute

HSC
rantman said:

1. How did you overcome or prevent getting bored while studying or doing h/w for the HSC?
It took me a long time to figure that one out. Eventually I went for 1-2 hour study blocks with a 15 minute break in between. Any longer than that and my brain would seize up.

rantman said:
2. Concerning study technique, how did you study the syllabus (e.g. lots of reading, dot points, taped/recorded summaries, watching tv while studying, etc?)
It depended on the subject. English I would write out quotes and memorise them (by writing them on a piece of paper lots of times), summarise arguments and points I wanted to use in essays, and practice my creative writing.

For science subjects, I went through the syllabus and made summaries under the dot points. I also did practice questions and practice papers.

German... some practice reading comprehension and writing, practice listening papers, reading German books, speaking practice onto a tape (my teacher made me do that), watching German TV on SBS, learning grammar.

Maths... practice questions. Hours and hours of them.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Make little songs up to remember things, I made a really funny song to help me with modern, includes all the big moments the stalemate, Battle of the Somme.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
im doing the HSC this year so i need to come up with soem handy study techniques too. i really like the idea of recording my notes on tape and listening to them while i sleep, exersice, etc. but i dont have one of those walkman thingos. lol they are soo 1995!! can you still buy them these days? and i dont have a mp3 player either.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
rantman said:

1. With a healthy state of mind and a desire to do well

2. Notes from syallbus dot points, then practise essays etc.

ps. I made sure my assessments were perfect before i submitted them. Not only does it give you some confidence if you have a good final rank, but it also counts towards 50% of your final mark.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i'm aiming for perfection right now, but then everytime it hink of contiuing to do my assessments, i think, i better do this perfectly. however, then it takes me longer to actually regain the motivation of actually doing it again.

fakingtheday

HSC
The best way to study is to turn up black label society really loud, take half hour breaks every ten minutes and jump around playing air guitar.

Seriously though.

I'd say don't have a clock or anything in direct line of site, i don't have one at all in my room and don't wear a watch when i study. I look at the length of the album i have on, if its over 50 minutes a take a quick break at the end. Easy.

As for How? Syllabus dot points, can't go wrong there. And practise questions.

Blackalicious

HSC
Science subjects: Summarise dot points. then exam papers Maths: Practice practice practice English: summarise main ideas then practice essays.
good luck this yr :)

HSC
rantman said:

1. Well, I didn't really do homework... but I always listened to music when I was working, if I was working. That helped. Erm... I can tell you not to work on your bed, cos you'll just fall asleep. Don't think you'll get an essay done in half an hour, leave about an hour - however long it takes you, but give yourself breaks.

2. I firstly memorised all the dot points, just what they said, so I knew exactly what I was learning, what I had find and remember. It helped alot, especially in Modern History. Don't bother with tape recording, fuck that shit. Just find the main points, dates, features of each dot point and memorise them by writing them out in summaries over and over again throughout the year, I did that like once every month and it was pretty easy to remember shit. Don't watch TV, like I said, music helped me, a cd you're familiar with, so you don't get carried away with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)