Study, note-taking, referencing, plagiarism. (1 Viewer)

Ulysses

HSC
After reading various universities’ plagiarism policies, it seems nigh impossible to avoid plagiarism to some extent. This has made me think.

(1) When writing study notes, is it common to use other sources —such as library books, articles, journals— or are these typically reserved for essays/assignments? Do textbooks and lecture notes suffice? (If this is this case, wouldn't most students have access to the same information, and therefore produce similar answers in exams?)

(2) Ergo, how do you make study notes without plagiarising? According to the UNSW Learning Centre, paraphrasing and summarising must be attributed to the original source.” Doesn’t this make notes, and hence exam answers and essays, mostly filled with source references?

(3) Moreover, how does referencing in exams work? Surely using the Oxford or Harvard systems would be highly impractical.

(4) I guess what I’m getting at here, is how can a uni student have original ideas on any subject that has already been thoroughly researched and documented in countless textbooks? To learn in the first place, you have to have a source. Referencing overcomes this, but how can one write anything factual which has not been written before? I mean, do you have to source facts? For example, if I were to write “Law is an integral part of society”, “The sky is blue”, or “The area of Australia is 7,686,850 SQ KM” without referencing, would that be plagiarism even though these statements are just facts?

(5) If I read that, “the area of Australia is 7,686,850 SQ KM” in a book titled, let’s say, “Australian Geography,” by A. Smith, and I wrote in an exam or assignment, the area of Australia is 7,686,850 SQ KM” —or even paraphrased it: Australia’s area is 7,686,850 SQ KM”— without making a reference to A. Smith, would that amount to plagiarism?

Sorry if this sounds really random; I’m just confused. =P

Last edited:
T

Testpilot

Ulysses said:

(4) I guess what I’m getting at here, is how can a uni student have original ideas on any subject that has already been thoroughly researched and documented in countless textbooks? To learn in the first place, you have to have a source. Referencing overcomes this, but how can one write anything factual which has not been written before? I mean, do you have to source facts? For example, if I were to write “Law is an integral part of society”, “The sky is blue”, or “The area of Australia is 7,686,850 SQ KM” without referencing, would that be plagiarism even though these statements are just facts?
According to UOW's ILIP100 (Information literacy) if a fact such as 'the sky is blue' is in more than 5 sources it is recognised as common knowledge and therefore doesn't need referencing.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Common knowledge ("the sky is blue" "polar bears are white", etc) does not need to be referenced.

As for writing anything thats not plagiarism...you need to read widely, until the point where you can write "idea 1 (reference) + idea 2 (reference) = idea 3 (my own thought based on material I've collated)"

And with writing...noone will write the exact same phrase in the exact same way. Sure, we all use the same information, but we all have our own individual styles, so when the same phrase pops up in more than one assignment, more than likely your lecturers will pick it up (if digital software such as Turnitin doesn't)

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
Ulysses said:

(4) I guess what I’m getting at here, is how can a uni student have original ideas on any subject that has already been thoroughly researched and documented in countless textbooks?

A uni student cannot have an original idea at all, I'm sorry, this is just not acceptable.. If you are planning on having original ideas about any subject even remotely related to your university degree I suggest you drop out now and start your own business.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Also don't cite wikipedia as a source for christ sake

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
wikipedia seems to me like a last minute approach... if you have done the reading, then there should be no need to resort to sources like wikipedia

HSC
I'm sooo scared about plagiarism.
It seems to me we have to cite like, every sentence. Because in the end NOTHING is our idea. =[

iamsickofyear12

HSC
It would be much easier to reply if you didn't have all that ridiculous formatting in there.

1) Yes, other sources are good. You'll mainly need them for assignments. Most people have the same information.

2) Study notes are normally just for your own use so how would plagarising be a problem?

3) Reference in exams as best you can. Just an author or maybe a title should be ok. (insert name here states in (inster title here) that...) Normally they are asking for your opinion which is different from an essay so sometimes referencing won't be necessary at all in exams.

4) You can make conclusions at the end but basically there are no original ideas. You need to support your ideas with other peoples ideas. You don't need to reference common knowledge.

5) I really don't know. I'd reference it to be sure.

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
Nobody Listened said:
I'm sooo scared about plagiarism.
It seems to me we have to cite like, every sentence. Because in the end NOTHING is our idea. =[

I believe you have just worked out the key to university...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)