Study (1 Viewer)

Chookus

HSC
I can not study at all!!! i sit there for two seconds and then give up. when i get my half yearly results back they will probably be bad as i just couldnt study!!!
any idea????

sandydee

Chookus, are u a note writer or just a reader. i tend to find that note taking helps to store info in the head, whereas just reading allows for u to skim impotant things that u may ulitmately forget.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by Chookus
I can not study at all!!! i sit there for two seconds and then give up. when i get my half yearly results back they will probably be bad as i just couldnt study!!!
any idea????
try praticing past exam papers. make yourself sit through the given time no matter what. and after you do it see what you don't get right and try to learn from your mistakes by memorising it or understanding some concepts and keep on doing pratice exams until you get it all right. make it like a game, so you try to beat your past high scores, its great for motivation...

Rahul

Dead Member
reward urself
work in small periods (30-40 mins), then take 5-10 min break. this way ur refreshed wen u com bac to work.
plan ur work and stick to ur plan

d3adgurL

i type all my notes in all different colours n use different coloured paper and highlighters to make it interesting to read :) Works at times..

Juliet

HSC
Rewards can be all different things! Not only a break...it can be chocolate, a tv show, a movie, shopping, reading, talking, surfing the internet, walking the dog, see what i mean? You have to find something that you like a lot. I like reading so that is mostly my reward. Also maybe a goal? or aim? I don't really know what i want to do when I leave school, but i like the idea of doing Education at UTS, yeah high UAI, but its a goal, even if you don't end up doing it. So to remind myself about that, i got this pen from UTS advisory day last year and its says: 'UTS: Education'. Its seems silly i know but it works. Or maybe being dux of your school? Just picture that moment, beating all those other people in your year, how it would feel...:p So yeah, a few suggests there.

Last edited:

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Have you tried studying in different places? I always found there were too many distractions in my bedroom, and it just got boring after hours and hours of sitting cooped up in there, so I always would study outside during the day, and in the dinging room at night. (just be careful if you are studying outside that your notes don't all blow away whenyour back is turned!) Soemtimes I would even go study in my brothers and sisters rooms, just for a change of scenry.
Also, have you tried studying with music? Some people find it too distracting, but I find it really useful-it makes study less boring, so I am less likely to get bored and go do something else.
And "get ready" to study...clean up the room you will be studying in, have something to eat, get any little nagging tasks you need to get done out of the way, make yourself a coffee then sit down to get started! It is very distrating trying to stay on track when you keep thinking of little things that need to be done, or looking around at a messy room, or thinking about food!
And taking breaks is important...but try to do something that won't get you distracted. For instance-if you tell yourself that you will be gong on the net "Just for 15 mins..."you will end up getting sidetracked and wasting about 2 hours. Same goes for calling friends, reading a book, and various other things! Try going for a run around the block or doing some sit ups or something-it will help clear your mind, it will allow you to be up doing something instead of being glued to a chair, and doing exercise is not something most people will get caught up in for too long. Just don't do anything that will wipe out all your energy!

Last edited:

Agnes2810

sUp ?
HSC
before my major exams, i go to the botanical gardens or hyde park, sit under a tree and study. the fresh air helps heaps - you got a constant supply of oxygen to ur brain.. ok i sound like my careers advisor.. but its true.. and it works.

i used to be like u chookus i couldnt study. . i failed yr 11.. but my friend told me 2 do dis and i did and now i goin pretty good in my 1/2 yrly marks! try it! :D

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Also-if you want to make notes to stick up around your room (which I suggest people do...), try getting some bright cardboard and making fancy boarders and making them all nice and decorative and cheerful, so you will actually feel like looking at them. It's all well and good to stick boring little scribbled post-it notes around, but they look really dry and depressing, so your subconscious mind won't really feel like absorbing them.
But if you decide to do this, don't leave it til the week before exams...you need that time for cramming, not for drawing pretty pictures.;)

Chookus

HSC
i have tried takin gbreaks then i do get side tracked, i can sit for 2 seconds read one senetence then im bored!!! If i decorate notes i find i spen too much time decorating if u know what i mean, if i sit outside i daydream if i sit in my room i i find something else to do if i say i will go i the net and do research i end up emailing ppl.

i dont know what to do i am all confused.

marsenal

cHeAp bOoKs
Just to another thing, for these past holidays whenever I wanted to do some study and I was home alone I'd just put the phone of the hook. This way your not interrupted in the middle of a train of though, even if you're not one of those that spends heaps of time on the phone. Just a though for next time you're home alone and wanting to get some study done.
Good luck! Just keep trying, you're bound to remember something!

sluttyho

man, studying with trance music is the best. there are no lyrics so you dont have to concentrate what they are saying ( esp things like ' it takes hard work to cash cheques, so dont be fooled my the rocks that i got' -J.Lo)........it works for me!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)