Studying English (1 Viewer)

currysauce

Actuary in the making
HSC
am i the only one who cannot do this... i mean, i've learnt all my texts, know my quotes... what more can i do...

and all the time i hear people studying 8 hour days, i think, for a saturday, i've done enough...

meh, just my little spaz

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
yeh ive been doing some legal studies work tonight. Done too much for english

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
I always get up people for cramming, but it's the only way I can do english--memorising essays the day or two beforehand. I know it's not the most effective way of doing things but I cannot for the life of me, in that short a time period, come up with an essay on the spot. I tried it once, and went a fair bit worse than when I memorise them.

So yeah. Tomorrow is my cram day for AoS. :D

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Haven't done much english 2day.
I've done a practice essay for journeys and thats it.
The journey isn't that bad...
Modules I'm more worried about :eek:

2moro I will cram.

*Ya_So_CuTe*

HSC
yeh i agree!

yeh i don't know how people can study so much for english. I mean there's only so many quotes, essay plans, composing task ideas one can prepare for without overdoing it. Plus calm needs to be maintained to manage time perfectly!!! Read through notes, be satisfied you aren't cramming and heads up i say!!!

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
ive memorised a whole essey word by word for my english exam. i cant right esseys othewrswise

*Ya_So_CuTe*

HSC
That could be dangerous

SashatheMan said:
ive memorised a whole essey word by word for my english exam. i cant right esseys othewrswise
That could be dangerous...if you don't answer the q, just 'Tweak' it a little so it suits in one way or another:)

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
*Ya_So_CuTe* said:
That could be dangerous...if you don't answer the q, just 'Tweak' it a little so it suits in one way or another:)
That's what I do, there are areas of my essay that I know are suited to the question that I used to prepare, I just change those areas to fit. Works well...

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
I've written down the links between all my texts in AOS. Now I need to memorise some quotes/techniques

Paper II study is unheard of .. yet

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
*Ya_So_CuTe* said:
yes i tweak it . however when i did the hsc last year i was lucky enough to get a format which was easy to "tweak" and use my memorised essey

blonde_squad

HSC
Quotess

The main thing you hve to be able to do is...
Technique... Quote... intended effect on responder...
link between texts or compare... No matter how many english jargon you can throw in..without the quotes it looks like you dont know the text..so rememebr like....heaps....our teacher recommends like 25 quotes for each hahahaha nuts

7th Sign

HSC
Aos is ok - Questions are shit, creative is ok I already know my story I just have to adapt it, And the final essay for me is just using 3 texts I just need to brush up on a bit,
modules is hard 3 essay and alot of texts :( I have to pray for the best :D

SlipStream

HSC
AOS is the easiest exam to study for in my opinion (for Advanced at least). Just have to remember my pre-prepared creative concept (pfft, easy as pie) and memorise one freakin generic journeys essay. Heaps hard. :rolleyes:

Modules, however? :eek: Three generic essays to remember! Oh dear gawd...

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
Yeah i'm over studying for AOS, i just want to do it, get it over and done with and get into exam mode and study hard for rest, especially modules.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
I don't know why you guys are freaking out so much. AOS is all about brute English skill. All you need to know are some quotes from your texts for part III...the rest is pie in the sky.

currysauce

Actuary in the making
HSC
suprisingly, i don't use many quotes - still achieve ok marks

i think in my journey's essay i have a total of 5-8 quotes...

modules, is another story, about 10-15 for each (short tho)

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
lol, same. im kinda screwed for the modules, i hate king lear and i hate emma/clueless. journeys i like, been doing essays for that, gonna call up advice line and ask em to mark it...lol that'll take a while. its annoying to study for english these days, im sick of it..

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
my journeys essay has heaps of quotes... the most of all my essays :(

jdrockefeller

HSC
Meldrum said:
I don't know why you guys are freaking out so much. AOS is all about brute English skill. All you need to know are some quotes from your texts for part III...the rest is pie in the sky.
yeah, I agree. I'm pretty good at English naturally, but this time I'm taking no chances. I'm just writing out notes, over and over, hoping I'll come up with some really good pieces that I can slot into section III, rather then writing out practice essays.

Lol, I still need another related text yet. Haha.

HSC
N/A
Hi guys,

You can't rote-learn english like you do maths. There is no 'one' way, and there is no 'one' answer. Rather, you come up with your own argument and you use evidence from the text to support this argument/theory.

In a nutshell, you need to understand the module (and thus, what they want you to learn) and what it requires you to do (and thus, how they want you to respond). I'm dislike pre-prepared/memorised essays with a passion, because you're not learning anything, and the argument won't be structured to directly answer the question they're asking. This is the difference between a Band 6 and a Band 4 essay... regardless of how much "stuff" is in there, if it's not written well and if you don't answer the question, then it's not cool.

What I *do* suggest is that you look at the sort of questions they like to ask. Particularly for Eng AOS and Eng Adv, there is a lot of generic information that will pop up in every essay. Make a list of these general topics, and if you must, memorise *these*, and ensure that you only use them as evidence to support your argument (you must argue your answer to the essay question!).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)