Stupid Question Corner (1 Viewer)

Arch-man

Hey,

I'm looking to accumulate next year, and I'm thinking of doing Latin as a subject.

Do you need to do any Stage 5 courses?
Also, is this the Latin language or the Latin writing style?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I'm fairly certain that, as with most HSC courses, you need to have done the preliminary course before being allowed to undertake the HSC course.

If you're interested in the content of the course, you might want to look at the 2001 exam paper which is available on the Board's site.

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
The HSC Latin course is called a 'Continuers" course, ie. it is for people who have done Latin through Stage 5 ie. (years 7-10). I'm fairly certain no Latin Beginners Course exists which is like Japanese beginners course. If you haven't done it before, I'm not sure you can, although i might be wrong.

latin is the best subject though! (I am biased) I think it's a combination of both the study of the language and of the writing style. In the first few years you learn basic grammar and structures, and by the prelim and HSC course you're able to appreciate the subject in context, and that's when you start studying the works of Roman authors and poets. its as much a study of the language as it is of culture and history.

plus it helps you with English, and you devlop a certain fondness for it which makes you seriously consider it for university. :)

do it if you can!

:cool: Weisy

Milly

Wei is right about Latin helping you with English -- you can use impressive-sounding jargon like "zeugma" and "transferred epithet" in your English essays, and the marker will think you made it up (or at least circle it indignantly) and dock you a mark. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)