styles, tone etc (1 Viewer)

stargaze

HSC
Hi ppls

After reading the critical responses that are in the showcase book, it seems as if they are structured in a similar way. They all seem to be basically big essays in a very formal and academic tone..

Just wondering if anyone is planning to do something a little bit more creative with their style and tone? I was thinking of doing soemthing a bit more journalistic - less formal and more directed at the reader, but I'm still not too sure at the momemnt.

thoughts?

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
I'd research into the text type a little bit more. The creativity is in the substance not in the altering of the style. Conventionalism is encouraged because the text type is restrictive, although I'd like to see how your work turns out if you don't mind.

Ju

HSC
I'm writing mine with a kind of unconventional tone. It may be shooting myself in the foot but I'd rather write in a way that I enjoy than be conventional for the sake of a higher mark. Unfortunately from what I know the more scholarly old-fashioned responses generally get the higher marks.

jawjayo

vast and green
HSC
as long as it remains a critical response and doesn't become a long feature article. i mean, most topics people choose just don't fit with a conversational tone if you want to sound as though you know what you're talking about and want your text to suit your audience i.e. everyday ppl arnt going to be ready about some abstract philosophical concept in an obscure text so the academic style fits the intended audience.
but i do agree that it sounds intriguing. i'd love to see how u manage to pull it all together

Last edited:

Lucie16

HSC
I am writing mine in the fisrt person. I am really latching onto the investigative tone and treating my response as a literal investigation. The plan is that it fits with my topic (1940's film noir) but i am a bit worried as well. I want the marks but i also want to enjoy the process, and i wont enjoy writing a dry and conventional response.

Lucie16

HSC
Why am I still a new member?????
I just want to fit in :(

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
im a new member too!

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
I actually write in the style of Paula Murphy and comparisons are made through the use of Kantian conventions.

Last edited:

jaihson

HSC
I disagree with adhering to the conventional formal essay style. I say be a bit creative, experiment with the form.

stargaze

HSC
hmm, admittedly (still on my 1.5th draft tho), i have a fairly academic tone and it is quite bland in terms of structure and language use..

I've tried to create a 'balance' between a strictly academic & formal tone, and then add in more colloquial stuff to appeal to the reader. Hope this works out tho, it is mentioned in my reflection statement etc. It's not really a big deal tho... When i started this thread I was thinking of doing something quite journalistic with a lot of satirical language etc... Since then, I've sided more with formal language use...

Anyway, ill post if up when we make our "showcase 2005" thread...

What are u doing jaihson? In terms of subject and approach?

jack white

After Hours
HSC
i think a bit of experimentation with style and tone is good. with the critical response it is all structure structure stucture so my one-sentence paragraphs and my own personal interjections are kind of a finger up at the markers. but nevertheless, conventionality will win the marks as it is easier for them to just say "hey, this kid can write a structured essay" etc. etc. (this is all according to my teacher)...something unconventional is just open to even more perceptive scrutiny by them. this is what sucks about the critical response. the short story students can experiment all they want - they can write their fucking prose backwards and if it is justified markers will love it. with critical response, its like experimentation has to be restricted and balanced with the strictest conventionality. dilemma.

know_it_all

im subverting (or at least attempting to) the 'medium'
havent we bin taught all yr in ee1 that genre is fluid!
be original!

jaihson

HSC
Yeah same, i havent gone for the traditional essay. Neither has anyone else in my class. I think only 1 person in my school has ever done one like that. I have maintained the disciplnine of the critical response though. I hope :-S
Oh and jawjayo, think twice before you make that feature article comment. A girl in my school wrote hers in that form and did very well.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)