subject advice appreciated :) (1 Viewer)

raspberriesandpears

HSC
hi everyone!!!

i (as i'm sure you figured out) am just starting year twelve. at the moment, i'm on fifteen units, but only thirteen active - i finished maths advanced last thursday, and i now take english advanced, ext 1 and ext 2, maths ext 1, chemistry, science ext, legal studies, modern history, and history ext.

quite obviously, i need to drop something, and i'm tossing up between two - science extension, or legal studies. i'm gravitating towards dropping science, but i'd appreciate some advice.

pros of dropping science:
- initially, i'm not enjoying it
- most likely less work. i find legal quite easy, and did very well on my prelim with very little study
- more free time. i don't do well with morning classes, and having less will definitely help me
- more unit value, especially given i bombed out on my maths trial and don't expect to do as well as i should
- i want to do law after school (specifically human rights law, which is a legal course)
- i love my legal teacher

cons of dropping science:
- i might miss out on a really interesting experience and research project
- i also plan on studying science after school (double degree)
- i was completely set on dropping legal studies during prelims last year
- i also really like my science teacher (although she does teach me chem as well)!
- science scales better

whilst i know it's quite early in the term, i don't want to get caught up in a subject i'm not going to continue, so i'm trying to make this decision now. does anyone have any experience with these two subjects, or just suggestions? thank you for any help offered :)

chilli 412

oo la la
HSC
from my point of view it looks like you want to keep legal over science ext. the pros of dropping science ext seem to outweigh the cons of dropping science ext. what made you set on dropping legal studies during prelims though? is that still an issue?

raspberriesandpears

HSC
from my point of view it looks like you want to keep legal over science ext. the pros of dropping science ext seem to outweigh the cons of dropping science ext. what made you set on dropping legal studies during prelims though? is that still an issue?
yeah i'm definitely leaning more towards legal, but i did want to hear other opinions! year 11 legal i found super boring, and studying for it was honestly a chore (i did barely an hour, which made my good result even more shocking). i'm enjoying it more now, as everyone said i would.

but that's why i'm hesitating about dropping science, because i've changed my mind before and hypothetically i could again. although now i'm thinking i should just make a decision and stick to it.

chilli 412

oo la la
HSC
yeah i'm definitely leaning more towards legal, but i did want to hear other opinions! year 11 legal i found super boring, and studying for it was honestly a chore (i did barely an hour, which made my good result even more shocking). i'm enjoying it more now, as everyone said i would.

but that's why i'm hesitating about dropping science, because i've changed my mind before and hypothetically i could again. although now i'm thinking i should just make a decision and stick to it.
in my experience going with a gut feeling is usually the best decision when faced with 2 options, so i would personally keep legal

HSC
year 11 legal i found super boring, and studying for it was honestly a chore
year 11 legal was the bane of my existence, like nothing made me want to die under a rock more than those topics lol. BUT in saying that year 12 legal topics were much more enjoyable… i would def recommend keeping legal + ur doing good in it as well so itll be a breeze

IT GETS BETTER DW!!

raspberriesandpears

HSC
thank you everyone for your help! i have handed in the form to drop science extension and ultimately i feel happy with my decision :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)