Subject CHoices... (1 Viewer)

j_a_m_e_s_r

Hey I'm in year 10 this year and we've just chosen our subjects for next year... and I was wondering if I could have some opinions on the courses I've chosen...

English Advanced + Extension 1
Modern + Ancient History
Studies of Religion 1
Economics
Drama

Dario

HSC
The subjects choices are very 'concentrated' and also seem a bit girly. You've chosen most subjects that can basically be classified into 'Arts and Humanities'. You might want to choose something a bit broader. Not choosing anything from the Informatics or Science subject areas may limit your choices in university. But this all depends on what you want to do, I guess. So, maybe your choices are good after all.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
"a bit girly"?! rofl! I hardly think that was the type of opinion he was after. =P

The combination looks good to me, however, if you're going to be doing nine units of essay/writing courses (3u english, 4u history, 1u religion), you really want to make sure that you're not going to get sick of it.

Winston

HSC
well those are good subjects
since your strong in the area of english then wow perfect pick
i can see u dont have maths
maybe your not strong in that area but hey the rest is good..
not bad
they are good subjects all just studying and remembering things

the worst subjects to do are maths, software, physics
all the ones that needs remembering of things and also requires a hell of alot of logical thinking...

if ur not a logical thinker then picking your subjects is damn fine

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
I'm a science/maths man myself but your subjects look good.

Consider doing some level of maths as it may be useful in uni (or other higher education)

Have you considered 4U english for year 12 (don't have to deside yet of course). It looks like that might be good for you to do, considering your preference for humanities.

j_a_m_e_s_r

Hopefully I will do some kind of law economics (theory based) or arts...Yeah the plan is to take on English Extension 2 and History extension in year 12, and to drop whatever subject i am doing worst at to compensate... What about in terms of scaling how do those subjects perform?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
If you're planning to do anything that's even related to economics, I strongly suggest that you do (at least) 2u maths!

All Extension courses are scaled well.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
You still have time to improve.

Putting in a concerted effort now would really pay off in the long run, I think.

Any university degree that's related to economics has 2u maths as assumed knowledge.

staree

HSC
N/A
the dux last year at my school who got 90.7 was more arty farty as well...
she did Music and Drama and Legal Studies, but then again she also did maths extension and english extension. She hated science so there was no science subjects in her HSC.

my opinion is that if those are the subjects you are interested in, then go for it. But if you are aiming for a certain UAI, you should tell us to get a more UAI based answer/opinion

j_a_m_e_s_r

Hmm I guess... Maybe I could do it and count on ti not being attributed to my overall UAI?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Not recommended. Get a tutor, be determined, and you'll be fine.

natt

My thoughts on drama

I am doin drama this year,
Drama is not a bludge..Ok sooo you do your Individual Project: if ur into Writing ud probably be good doin theatre Reviews.

But it takes alot of time and effort esp for year 12 group perf...Its compulsory and u could get stuck in a crap group..pretty negative arent i?...its just what i ahve seen...i was lucky!
its a good subject if you are really into it?(drama and acting)
and it can be demanding at times...really think about it i have been pretty stressed because i didnt get to concentrate on my other subjects..my teacher was pretty demanding!..

Let me know if u wanna know nething else.

I learnt alot by doing this course. I wont pursue my negativism anymore :p

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
A UAI of 90 is definitely possible.

The only thing I was concerned about was whether you'd meet the secondary requirements for university degrees (such as needing maths for economics).

Drama does apparently take a great deal of time and effort, which might detract from your other courses.

Personally, I'd suggest replacing one of your subjects with 2u maths just to see if you are capable of doing it (which you most definitely would be if you were determined enough). Or even taking on 14 units initially in Year 11, and then dropping something later on.

Try and keep your options open.

Morgues

If you are planning on doing drama, extension history and extension 2 english you might get overwhelmed a bit with the major works so maybe it is worth it to give maths a go

flosh's gurl

speaking from a personal experience, i found it really hard to do both drama and ex 2 english at the same time. they end up both being due at the same time, not to mention assessment tasks as well. but having said that there is no way that i would have given up on either of them because i loved ex2, and i was getting really good marks in drama. you can always do both and just decide later if it will be too much. i'm also doing 2 unit maths and failing miserably. our vice principal went to a seminar with the bos people and one of the big guys said that one of the biggest misconceptions of students was that they need to do maths. definatly start by doing general or something but if you hate it then have enough units to drop it or you will end up dreading going to class and not bothering to try and learn the stuff. but just make sure that you check out whether the courses you are thinking about doing at uni dont need maths or you could find yourself in a shitty situation at the end of yr 12
if your going to walk on thin ice you might as well dance

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Try playing with LazSeeker (or whatever the UAI calculator is called in this site)

Doing more than 10 units is a must (But maybe I overextended myself with 13 ...)

DON'T do economics without any maths.

Have fun :D
Learn :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)