Subject drop (1 Viewer)

Sebastian03

HSC
So my school is not allowing me to drop to 10 units. I go to a public school and the principal has a policy that every year 12 student must have 12 units until hsc trials. My principal mentioned that I could drop it at trials which the principal said was in April but is actually in late July. I’m struggling with Chinese and I haven’t learnt anything from last year. I am not enjoying it at all and I have a heavy workload so it’s much harder to put the effort into Chinese. I am also learning it through long distance Ed so I barely have any face to face lessons. I know that I’ll be able to focus on my other subjects more if I drop Chinese. I have had two meetings with the principal and my parents and both outcomes have ended the same way. I haven’t done any of the work so far but my careers advisor and a Chinese speaker at my school have been informed and now I must do the work. What should I do?

HSC
N/A
If you can drop Chinese at trials like you're saying, then I'd suggest focusing on your other subjects and giving Chinese minimal attention/effort. It's essential to ensure you can do well in your 10 preferred units because even if circumstances arise where you can't drop Chinese it will most likely not count towards your ATAR anyway.

Sebastian03

HSC
He can, but I'm taking into consideration any unexpected events where he would not be allowed to drop Chinese.
I’ve read in other posts that public schools aren’t actually allowed to keep you at 12 units. Is this true?

HSC
N/A
I’ve read in other posts that public schools aren’t actually allowed to keep you at 12 units. Is this true?
This shouldn’t be true. But I think that at the same time if you’re taking an extension subject you wouldn’t be allowed to have 10 units because they think you might at some point drop your extension unit, which, if you do, will leave you with 9 units and thus make you uneligible to have an ATAR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)