Subject not related to degree? (1 Viewer)

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
Hey, im not sure if anyone will be able to advise here, but ill ask anyway:

I am doing Nutrition and Dietetics...40 units this semester, 40 next. None of them are electives and i dont have option for electives.

ok, so with that background...is there any way of me doing French? Not a language degree, just a subject on the side? And if i do:

*is it too late to start now
* can i start next semester
* im pretty sure it costs extra
* what impact does this have on my degree
* what happens at the end of everything

?

Thanks in advance

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
lourai*87 said:
*is it too late to start now
No, you can apply to add a course after the first two weeks of semester. Whether they'd actually approve for it to be added, I don't know.

lourai*87 said:
* can i start next semester
You would have to change your enrollment still because you register for both semesters' courses at the beginning of the year.

lourai*87 said:
* im pretty sure it costs extra
Fees are charged on a per-course basis with an idea of how much for each course here. So it'd cost extra because you'd be doing 90 units in the year instead of 80.

lourai*87 said:
* what impact does this have on my degree
None, assuming they let you do the course, the timetables fit, and that you are capable of managing 50 units' workload in one semester.

lourai*87 said:
* what happens at the end of everything
You'd get your degree with an extra course appearing on your academic transcript.

lourai*87 said:
You could also study French outside of uni...

em_516

bludging..
HSC
you can't do it now because you had to enrol for it by last monday..and you can't start next semester because the first course is only in first semester

also, do you already know some french? because i would recommend knowing some before doing this course..my friend started it this year but dropped it as the teacher wasn't really catering for those who knew NOTHING and while it could've been a nice challenge maybe, that was her 5th subject

tafe is fine for learning languages..esp. if you know nothing to start with

oh, and i also wanted to say, you'd have to check with your degree coordinator or whatever if it's even possible for you to do an elective on the side..and also, you'd really wanna think hard about the difficulty of the subjects you're already doing, and adding a 5th one onto that..learning a language takes effort, you can't just put it to the side, you have to keep at it, unfortunately

blergh, i wrote a lot :S

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
you would have to pay upfront, no hecs. that is unless there is a general elective in your degree

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I thought there were rules that you can only do subjects that will count towards the progression of your degree? Or maybe I imagined that.

Anyway, I think with the fun and joy that is HUBS, you'd be crazy to take on more than you have to.

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
you are right jess but accidents happen. im not sure how vigorous they are with checks.

On that note why dont you just rock up to lectures and tutes without enrolling?

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
Lol, i was just thinking yesterday how easy it would be for any random to turn up to lectures.

Anyway yeah i have been doing french for around 5-6 years now, so i wanted to keep going with it. So one would hope that yes i do know some French :p I noticed it is an extra $800 odd though...it was just a consideration.

Thanks for the help, Em, Jess, Mr Bassman (seeing i cant take a stab at ur actual name here :p)

ps: really think i could get away with just showing up....lol

darkliight

I ponder, weak and weary
HSC
N/A
I've done both, rocked up to lectures without being enrolled just to see what they were like and I've enrolled in subjects not relating to my degree. I've also heard maths teachers offer their class in the first week, in case you didn't think you could pass, the option to unenroll and still turn up to lectures/tutes as if you were enrolled (ie. all but the final exam marked).

If you're not sure talk to the teacher, but I think you'll be fine. The difference between paying $800 or not is the subject being printed on your transcript and exams (ie. recognition for your work) or no recognition :)

Cheers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)