Subject Selection: Ancient or Modern History? (1 Viewer)

in-sane

HSC
ancient or modern history?
which one should i choose & why?

i like both but only wants to choose one. /:
maybe which one scales better?

any help is appreciated. :)

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
They scale about the same, or used to.

It depends on what you find more enjoyable. Do you enjoy Ancient History, or do you enjoy Modern History?

Don't pick your subjects based on the scaling, it's dumb and makes for a miserable 2 years. Pick the one you think you'd like the most, and thus would do the best in.

de__locke

HSC
I prefer Modern personally. It depends where your interests lie, really. Do you do elective history at the moment?

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Modern FTW!

Do modern if you like politics/learning about conflicts/war. Do ancient if you like ancient stuff XD

If you can't decide between the two, modern scales higher but you should pick the one you like more :)

Clank_

HSC
It depends on what you like;
For instance, I prefer Modern as I like the political side to it. Whereas a friend perfers Ancient, as it's relatively untouched in the mandatory history course. Try flicking through a textbook of each subject and ask what topics you would usually study.

In terms of scaling, Modern does scale better than Ancient (mean scaled mark of 27.2 compared to 24.9). But as it has already been said, scaling is not everything, it's better to pick subjects you're intrested in and know you can excel in.

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
I'd prefer modern but I had to choose Ancient due to line malfunction. Gah! In terms of scaling Modern is the choice.

in-sane

HSC
yeah, i do elective history now.
i find both aspects interesting, but can't decide which one. :)

thanks for the help!

renny 123

HSC
I do both... I have always liked modern better, the content is more interesting. However with exams so close Im starting to realise how much more difficult modern is! I find it pretty hard, the essay questions are so specific and you could get any of something like 20 different questions for two of the topics :mad1:

KnifeySpoony

HSC
Modern's pretty content heavy, so that probably justifies its higher scaling, not sure bout it compared to ancient though.
Modern's more political;esp. the cold war, , if that influences your decision in anyway.
Probably might depend on what topics you do too, but ive found mine(russia,trotsky,coldwar) to be pretty interesting.

0hNivlek

HSC
Modern History.

World War 1 Core is so awesome. But it also depends on what your schools options are. We're doing USA, J. Edgar Hoover and Conflict in Indochina. Hoover and Conflict is easy. USA on the other hand is more about the Great Depression and policie etc..

Yah.

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
Definitely modern.
It's more interesting.
More informative, as in teaches you about the world you live in.
It can help you better understand current political issues etc.
And it scales better.

I did both and found ancient so so annoying. You have to learn crazy theories re archeological remains and it can be repetitive and plain stupid at times.

Last edited:

mesbaz

HSC
N/A
I dont know what modern is like. But personally i cant explain to you HOW MUCH i regret picking ancient ! the workload is INSANE and you don't get rewarded at all (ie: scales like shit)

I guess it might depend on what topic you do as well, but we have Egypt and the historical period section is INSANE theres no information, all my time goes into it and i have like next to nothing for trials ( and im pretty on top of hsc).

This is turning into a ramble, but personally i took history because i enjoy it and i thought it'd be ' fun ' but hsc sucks all the fun out of history ( my opinion) and also, for the historical period section last year, the cut off mark for band 6 was 17/25 ( thats how bad people do) apparently most people barely scrape 13/25. soo. yeahh. Its up to you really and my comments pretty biased. but thats just my two cents. I wish someone had told me this last year >.<

OH and the HSC course is NOTHING like the prelim course. Prelim is shit easy and the workload is like 1/4 of ONE hsc topic ( out of 4) if THAT. so yup. I loved history in year 11 i was full like woohoo im going to ace this. >.<

emilyo

apathetic member
HSC
I regret not picking both histories becaus I find modern so enjoyable. But be warned, my school did the body line series in its first topic which was unbelievably painful. But after that Modern History has been great but it does depend on the electives your school chooses. For my HSC i've done teh core WWI (like everyone else) then we did Germany 1919-1935 which was great , then Leni Reifenstahl (not as good but still okay) and Conflict in Europe WWII. I think modern is teh better option and it is more relevant to the life we live in now where Ancient is not so much.

jess39

HSC
I would say Ancient. I find it much more interesting, and fun. I couldn't stand all the politics in Modern.

There is a lot of content, but if you really enjoy it, then it's not too bad.

That said, you should look over the syllabuses (syllabi?) for both courses and think about what you'd be more interested in studying. It really depends on what interests you.

blacksheepboy

HSC
it's got to be ancient.
it might just be me but i much prefer learning about unique, interesting persona's and time periods than having pseudo-intellectual political debates in class. i have no experience other than my own school so for all i know your modern class could be amazing but based purely on my experiences, ancient owns.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)