Subject Selection Help! (1 Viewer)

LIZard_

HSC
N/A
Hey, so I've spent a lot of time thinking about which subjects to choose for Year 11 and so far I've got:
(they're in priority order)
  • English Standard/Advanced
  • Maths Advanced
  • Biology
  • Modern History
  • D&T
  • SDD
I can't decide whether to choose English Standard or Advanced. I heard Standard scales low and that Advanced isn't that much harder.

I'm also unsure of D&T and SDD. I may swap them out for VAR, EES or Business Studies. Can someone explain what you actually do in D&T and SDD.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Do advanced English if you have the choice, if you're not hopeless at English then you can work on it in year 11 and 12 and do quite well. If you are struggling that much in the end, then you can always drop to standard at end of year 11, and it won't affect you at all because you do new texts in year 12. The benefit is it scales better and usually your peers will be better as well so you can learn from them as well

talourty

HSC
I don't do SDD but i do IDT - Information Digital Technology. SDD is lots of programming, creating softwares...basically. D&T im not sure...... BUT IF YOU'RE WILLING TO PUSH YOURSELF, DO ENG ADVANCED

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm also unsure of D&T and SDD. I may swap them out for VAR, EES or Business Studies. Can someone explain what you actually do in D&T and SDD.
I found SDD really fun. Obviously you learn how to code, with there being a Major project and all. You also learn some Object oriented programming which is quite useful. You also learn about Data structures and some other interesting concepts such as how a computer processes data.

On top of this 'hardcore' theory you also learn about the whole cycle of developing a software, the ethics behind it and different stages, the different types of documentation etc..

After like Chapter 1 and 2 which is the ethics and what not, SDD actually gets quite fun so I suggest you do it if your interested in the kind of things I've outlined in my first paragraph.

I can't decide whether to choose English Standard or Advanced. I heard Standard scales low and that Advanced isn't that much harder.
Start of with advanced and if your really struggling drop to standard

Last edited:

flowerp

HSC
N/A
Do you find Shakespeare extremely difficult? Do you find reading long texts tedious and very difficult? Do you enjoy English?
If you answered yes to the 1st 2 questions and no to the thid, choose standard. Otherwise, go for advanced! Though, if you still don't know, as Jazz said, try Adv as you can always change to standard if you don't like it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)