Subject Selection Help (1 Viewer)

m.alkan

HSC
I just made an account to get some additional help with choosing my subjects. I aspire to study engineering or IT in university and my goal ATAR is 90. I've already decided on these subjects:
Maths Advanced
Maths Extension
Physics
Engineering Studies
IPT

However i am conflicted on a few choices:
-Choosing between Advanced and Standard English (I know many people say to always do advanced over standard, but I do not enjoy english not am I amazing at it)
-Choosing between Economics and Business Studies (I dont know the differences between the two content wise, but I am aware Eco is harder and scales significantly better than business)

I would greatly appreciate some help with these choices.

FesuY

HSC
I got a C in my report for year 10 english, with an average of 68 and still did advanced and know my average 84. Doing advanced has honestly made my writing some much better as being in a class with people who are good at english will influence your writing greatly. Despite being called 'Advanced' English, it is not that much harder to standard as regarldess of the course you still have to do heavy analysing and essay writing. Also considering the fact that your aiming for a pretty high atar should make it more of an indiction to do advanced english.

HSC
I hear that english standard has significantly worse scaling than advanced which is pretty likely to drag down your ATAR

quickoats

HSC
I hear that english standard has significantly worse scaling than advanced which is pretty likely to drag down your ATAR
The scaling is the exact same. The *alignment* is different. According to NESA, the same HSC mark indicates the same level of English ability i.e. a 90 in either subject is comparable. They scale them identically since this the case.

However, standard is not easier than advanced - it is merely more approachable with simpler texts. However, since they use a common grading scale, it is very difficult in standard to reach a high high mark.

Not many people in standard are able to achieve a band 6 since most do not display the same ability as a band 6 advanced student. This isn’t ‘scaling down’.

Honestly from what I’ve seen in standard, the “ATAR drag” comes from those who don’t really take it seriously, not from scaling or anything else.

NOTE: some may think that they can cheat the system and do standard instead of advanced to boost their mark since it scales the same - it is much more difficult to gain the high high marks in standard.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I agree with the above, I think you should probably take English Advanced. It is not that much different to English Standard content-wise and you have the benefit of better alignment. Of course, this doesn't mean you can't perform well in English Standard if you study regularly and constantly seek feedback for your writing pieces.

Preliminary Economics explores concepts such as consumers, markets (labour and financial) as well as the government and how those relate to the field of economics. HSC Economics explores the global economy and Australia's place in it. It also looks at economic issues as well as economic policies and management. As you can see, this subject is focused specifically on the field of economics. Business Studies on the other hand explores multiple areas of business, including economics. Preliminary Business Studies explores the nature of business as well as business management and planning. HSC Business Studies explores 4 key areas of business: finance, marketing, operations and human resources. Economic concepts in Business Studies (such as exchange rates) are mainly explored within the Finance topic in year 12.

I would personally suggest taking Business Studies because I believe you'll find the concepts easier to understand and apply to exam questions than Economics. Also, keep in mind that performing consistently well in Business Studies will eventually render the effect scaling has quite minimal and good performance will be needed in order to achieve your desired ATAR. You should also consider which subject you feel you are more interested in/are likely to enjoy more. As I mentioned, Business Studies explores several aspects of business (including economics), making it a broader subject than Economics, which mainly focuses on the field of economics.

I hope this helps! :D

quickoats

HSC
^^ agreed, better to do very well in business studies than meh in economics

m.alkan

HSC
I agree with the above, I think you should probably take English Advanced. It is not that much different to English Standard content-wise and you have the benefit of better alignment. Of course, this doesn't mean you can't perform well in English Standard if you study regularly and constantly seek feedback for your writing pieces.

Preliminary Economics explores concepts such as consumers, markets (labour and financial) as well as the government and how those relate to the field of economics. HSC Economics explores the global economy and Australia's place in it. It also looks at economic issues as well as economic policies and management. As you can see, this subject is focused specifically on the field of economics. Business Studies on the other hand explores multiple areas of business, including economics. Preliminary Business Studies explores the nature of business as well as business management and planning. HSC Business Studies explores 4 key areas of business: finance, marketing, operations and human resources. Economic concepts in Business Studies (such as exchange rates) are mainly explored within the Finance topic in year 12.

I would personally suggest taking Business Studies because I believe you'll find the concepts easier to understand and apply to exam questions than Economics. Also, keep in mind that performing consistently well in Business Studies will eventually render the effect scaling has quite minimal and good performance will be needed in order to achieve your desired ATAR. You should also consider which subject you feel you are more interested in/are likely to enjoy more. As I mentioned, Business Studies explores several aspects of business (including economics), making it a broader subject than Economics, which mainly focuses on the field of economics.

I hope this helps! :D
Thanks for the replay man. You have raised some really good points about business so I may consider it.

m.alkan

HSC
I got a C in my report for year 10 english, with an average of 68 and still did advanced and know my average 84. Doing advanced has honestly made my writing some much better as being in a class with people who are good at english will influence your writing greatly. Despite being called 'Advanced' English, it is not that much harder to standard as regarldess of the course you still have to do heavy analysing and essay writing. Also considering the fact that your aiming for a pretty high atar should make it more of an indiction to do advanced english.
Fair point, but how did you improve that greatly?

m.alkan

HSC
The scaling is the exact same. The *alignment* is different. According to NESA, the same HSC mark indicates the same level of English ability i.e. a 90 in either subject is comparable. They scale them identically since this the case.

However, standard is not easier than advanced - it is merely more approachable with simpler texts. However, since they use a common grading scale, it is very difficult in standard to reach a high high mark.

Not many people in standard are able to achieve a band 6 since most do not display the same ability as a band 6 advanced student. This isn’t ‘scaling down’.

Honestly from what I’ve seen in standard, the “ATAR drag” comes from those who don’t really take it seriously, not from scaling or anything else.

NOTE: some may think that they can cheat the system and do standard instead of advanced to boost their mark since it scales the same - it is much more difficult to gain the high high marks in standard.
Yeah at this point I think I can tell what the obvious answer is. Thanks for the response!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)