Subject Selection (1 Viewer)

getmemed

HSC
Hey,

I'm currently in year 11 at a top 5 school, and I have my subject selection forms due soon. Currently, I'm deciding between physics and economics.

For eco, I ranked 10th in term 1 and 1st in term 2 out of ~125.
For physics, I didn't do so well, ~30-40 out of ~100.

However, I'm definitely more of a 'mathy' type of person and I'm kinda leaning towards physics because I think I can definitely improve in the annuals.

I like economics, and find it interesting, but I feel there's just a lot to know, and in the HSC learning 2 years of content might be a bit overwhelming.

What should I do? I'm worried about the extra work load that economics brings (that's what I've noticed in year 11). Does the physics work load increase in year 12?

Geography is also an option to swap out, but I'm most likely going to carry it on as I ranked 1st in terms 1 and 2 out of ~100.

Thank you in advance!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
You should probably keep the subject you enjoy more. If that subject is Physics, then keep it. From what you've mentioned, it seems like you are leaning more towards Physics (considering you are a mathematics kind of person) than Economics (you feel content might be overwhelming). Studying a subject you have an interest in/enjoy may result in a more positive learning experience (i.e. less stress and difficulty), making understanding and preparing for assessments/exams easier, consequently allowing you to potentially achieve higher marks.

You may expect HSC Physics to impose a workload increase as well as more complex content. HSC Physics essentially explores 4 additional modules:

Module 5: Advanced Mechanics:

Students develop an understanding that all forms of complex motion can be understood by analysing the forces acting on a system, including the energy transformations taking place within and around the system. By applying new mathematical techniques, students model and predict the motion of objects within systems. They examine two-dimensional motion, including projectile motion and uniform circular motion, along with the orbital motion of planets and satellites, which are modelled as an approximation to uniform circular motion.

Module 6: Electromagnetism:

Understanding the similarities and differences in the interactions of single charges in electric and magnetic fields provides students with a conceptual foundation for this module.

Module 7: The Nature of Light:

Prior to the 20th century, physicists, including Newton and Maxwell, developed theories and models about mechanics, electricity and magnetism and the nature of matter. These theories and models had great explanatory power and produced useful predictions. However, the 20th century saw major developments in physics as existing theories and models were challenged by new observations that could not be explained. These observations led to the development of quantum theory and the theory of relativity. Technologies arising from these theories have shaped the modern world. For example, the independence of the speed of light on the frame of observation or the motion of the source and observer had significant consequences for the measurement, and concepts about the nature, of time and space.

Throughout this module, students explore the evidence supporting these physical theories, along with the power of scientific theories to make useful predictions.

Module 8: From the Universe to the Atom:

By studying the development of the atomic models through the work of Thomson and Rutherford, who established the nuclear model of the atom – a positive nucleus surrounded by electrons – students further their understanding of the limitations of theories and models.

Regarding Geography, I would also recommend keeping it as your current performance in this subject is optimal and it seems like you will definitely be able to maintain it going into year 12, which will only be beneficial in terms of your ATAR.

I hope this helps! :D

okayokay123

HSC
not sure about economics but a lot of Year 12 physics is an extension of Year 12 - Module 5 builds on Mod 1 and 2, Module 6 builds on Module 4, Module 7 builds on Module 4. so if you were able to understand the concepts in Year 11 you should be able to do the same in Year 12 phys. personally, I've studied less for phys in Year 12 than I did year 11 lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)