Subjects (1 Viewer)

Magical Kebab

HSC
Are there any HSC subjects that u are recommended to do for law?
I'm guessing not...

enoilgam

HSC
I'm guessing not...
Not really. Legal studies can give you a little bit of an advantage in terms of the foundational law units and criminal law, but the advantage is marginal. The subject most like law in my opinion is Modern History - the writing and analytical skills in modern do closely match those needed for law. But again, it doesnt make that much of a difference.

Magical Kebab

HSC
Not really. Legal studies can give you a little bit of an advantage in terms of the foundational law units and criminal law, but the advantage is marginal. The subject most like law in my opinion is Modern History - the writing and analytical skills in modern do closely match those needed for law. But again, it doesnt make that much of a difference.
Good to know thanks.

deswa

HSC
This is probs not the intention of your question but honestly, if you want to do law at UNSW/USyd, because of the very high cut off, you need to pick subs that will allow for an ATAR in the high 99's. Even though its theoretically possible, doing gen maths and standard english (for example) will pretty much destroy your chances of making law at these unis.

Magical Kebab

HSC
This is probs not the intention of your question but honestly, if you want to do law at UNSW/USyd, because of the very high cut off, you need to pick subs that will allow for an ATAR in the high 99's. Even though its theoretically possible, doing gen maths and standard english (for example) will pretty much destroy your chances of making law at these unis.
Yeah it just ran across my mind.

Thanks for the input.

enoilgam

HSC
Good point - if this is your aim you need to consider this. Otherwise, there are no subjects you really need to do to study during the HSC for law at uni.

aekryan

HSC
I think the best combination that would give you a very good chance of achieving your cut off and play to your strengths as a student aspiring to do law would be:

4U English
at least 2U math
Economics
Modern (optional)
Legal

Those are subject that i'd think law student would want in their HSC year.. however, i just noticed yours and they scale very well meaning that you definitely have a chance to achieve your desired ATAR. Many people have your subjects and go to law, generally the students who go to top 10 schools with those subjects with very high atars and want to get the best out of it. But they seem to dislike it after a year or 2 and swap to engineering, medicine, actuary etc.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm guessing not...
My advice to you is to do the subjects that you are currently good at and have the potential to come first in or state rank it in the future. There are alot of people that will tell you to do maths ext 1, english ext 1 etc... but at the end of the day if you don't enjoy these courses and are not currently progressing well in them, there is no point in doing them. A person would rather do standard english and get a final mark in high 80's, than do advance english and get low 70ish as he/she didn't like the course. I know alot of people at my school who picked subjects such as chemistry, only to hope that it will give them a better atar. However, they struggled during the course and most of them ended up dropping it. So for law do subjects that you can potentially score the greatest in, regardless of the scaling for each subject.

If however, you are an 'all rounder' and in particular good at english and enjoy studing it. I highly recommend that you do atleast advanced english for law and combine it with another theory subject that will build upon your analytical and reading/writing skills such as legal studies, modern history or even drama. Biology isn't bad either as it requires alot of reading, writing etc...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)