• We have a few events lined up for the October school holidays!
    Watch this space...

Suggestions for a math tutor in the Cabra-Vale area [going into year 11] (1 Viewer)

hugerthyena

HSC
N/A
Hey everyone, I used to go to Ngo and Sons and I appreciate the method that they teach maths but I just felt like it didn't suit my learning style. I kinda quit already without even having another tutoring centre as a "back-up" and now I'm really stressed because next year is year 11 and I want to learn content ahead since I might be moving to a competitive school next year. Does anyone have some suggestions to places for math tutoring? I'm aware that Dr Du is a good one but it's a bit far from me and I'm not sure if it's worth the travel.
Additionally, I'm probably going to do chemistry next year for the HSC and I'm wondering if it's necessary to get tutoring for chemistry now.
Thank you all for any input!

idkkdi

HSC
IMO, if you need tutoring for math on anything other than 4u then you should reconsider your choices of taking that math course unless you're aiming for 95+ every exam or unable to dedicate time to doing Maths yourself. Chemistry is definitely self-learnable.

Info on the school that you will be attending will also be helpful. Some schools tend to go tutoring more often than others, and classes may almost assume that you know more than what you are expected to know.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
In what way Ngo & Sons did not suit your learning style? Maybe the other supposedly great places may also not suit your style.. Then what would you do?

DrEuler

HSC
N/A
IMO, if you need tutoring for math on anything other than 4u then you should reconsider your choices of taking that math course unless you're aiming for 95+ every exam or unable to dedicate time to doing Maths yourself. Chemistry is definitely self-learnable.

Info on the school that you will be attending will also be helpful. Some schools tend to go tutoring more often than others, and classes may almost assume that you know more than what you are expected to know.
Some people need the tutoring. Not everyone can pick up concepts are fast as you.. They may need someone to explain it in a way they can understand

idkkdi

HSC
100 in 4U math. What a beast. You probably understand concepts faster than I do.

DrEuler

HSC
N/A
100 in 4U math. What a beast. You probably understand concepts faster than I do.
Haha thx, but I'm just saying. Some people I teach would be getting an E3 in 3u, but now they're on the track for an E4. So for some tutoring is necessary for 3u and less.

idkkdi

HSC
Hugerthyena, I recommend DrEuler for your math tutor. If you could find another person with 100 in 4u Math and 99 in 3u Math tutoring high-schoolers, I would be extremely surprised.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
For tutoring if you are having like a lot of trouble then I would recommend to not go to a tutoring centre. This is because tutoring centres will often be quite fast paced and not always suit the average student who needs more personal help in explaining concepts because of large class sizes. If that is the problem you had at the tutoring centre, find a private tutor who does 1 to 1 or small classes because you will probably be able to get more help from that. In terms of chemistry tutoring you need to think about like what is your goal for a mark and what is your current ability. If you are already getting good ranks and are on track to get the mark you want without a tutor then you probably don't necessarily need one. However, if you are aiming for a higher mark then what you think you are currently at and you can't improve by yourself then maybe tutoring can help increase that mark. But a really important piece of advice in getting tutoring lessons in terms of students I have seen, the ones who come in who have a good work ethic and complete homework tasks etc. they will definitely improve having tutoring. But at the same time a lot of kids take tutoring for the sake of it but don't do much work outside the lesson and don't improve much from the tutoring because it is not an issue of them not being intelligent enough but they just don't put the effort in for what mark they want

DrEuler

HSC
N/A
Hugerthyena, I recommend DrEuler for your math tutor. If you could find another person with 100 in 4u Math and 99 in 3u Math tutoring high-schoolers, I would be extremely surprised.
Carrotsticks is one, and he's an exceptional tutor =)

blyatman

HSC
N/A
But at the same time a lot of kids take tutoring for the sake of it but don't do much work outside the lesson and don't improve much from the tutoring because it is not an issue of them not being intelligent enough but they just don't put the effort in for what mark they want
This. Personally I think that picking up a textbook is one of the most efficient ways to learn.

Asketa

HSC
Hey everyone, I used to go to Ngo and Sons and I appreciate the method that they teach maths but I just felt like it didn't suit my learning style. I kinda quit already without even having another tutoring centre as a "back-up" and now I'm really stressed because next year is year 11 and I want to learn content ahead since I might be moving to a competitive school next year. Does anyone have some suggestions to places for math tutoring? I'm aware that Dr Du is a good one but it's a bit far from me and I'm not sure if it's worth the travel.
Additionally, I'm probably going to do chemistry next year for the HSC and I'm wondering if it's necessary to get tutoring for chemistry now.
Thank you all for any input!
Please don't stress out. My child is in same year but fortunately found very good private tutors who gives one to one session online and I don't have to waste time for travelling and worry about quality of teaching. Happy to help you out by referring. Please connect with me through private message.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)