sulphate reducting bacteria, and acidic conditions affecting rate of corrosion (1 Viewer)

zhangy

HSC
heyyy
im now reallly confused about how to talk about the acidic environment when relating to sulphate reducing bacteria and the equations that shud be used
my normal answer would involve talking about theoretical gas solubility and then what really happens which means no corrosion
i then talk about the titanic and blah blah blah
all of the equations......
and then i would talk about the effect of an acidic environment on the rate of corrosion
what i used to do which i believe is now not enough is have the equilibrium between hydrogen sulfide ions and then ( hydrogen ions and sulfide ions)
then i would say that due to increases in hydrogen ions in an acidic environment the equilirium would shift to the left producing more hydrogen sulfide ions which equates to more corrosion occurring
however, now people have told me that u have to relate it to the standard potentials of the water reduction reactions which seems feasible
but then theres this other one, which i have not bothered to learn where H2S is produced
can someone plz tell me the right way to talk bout the impact of acidic conditions on the rate of corrosion at great depth
thnx

azza1203

HSC
well when talking about the acidic environment in the sea you should mention bacteria that respire so they are producing CO2 gas which reacts to for carbonic acid very weak but still increase corrosion on shipwrecks

for sulfur reducing bacteria and equation which helped me understand it was
Fe2+ + (SO4)2- + H20 = FeS + F(OH)2 + OH-
sorry its not balanced but thats the reaction which forms these red rusticles present on the titanic

hope that helps if not sorry

zhangy

HSC
ty for your help
i sorta gotta better understanding of it
:D
its still kinda weird cos heaps of different sources describe it differently but meh....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)