Superconductors and resistance (1 Viewer)

Mr_Kap

HSC
Do superconductors really mean losless transmission, as there is absolutely ZERO resistance in wires?

Because in all answers i have read they say things like, "negligible resistance", and "virtually no resistance".

So can anyone clarify if superconductors have ZERO resistance, or is the resistance just really, really small.

Thanks in advance!

Mathsisfun15

HSC
resistance implies collisions with the lattice. Due to the formation of cooper pairs electrons move through without collisions with the lattice

Drsoccerball

HSC
Impurities in wires could cause it to have resistance but we assume that there is no impurities and thus having 0 resistance.

Mr_Kap

HSC
thx guys. and Yeh that's what I thought. Was Just wondering if it was 'safe' to write zero resistance.

Drsoccerball

HSC
thx guys. and Yeh that's what I thought. Was Just wondering if it was 'safe' to write zero resistance.
Just write basically zero to be safe... Because you dont want to risk losing a mark...

PhysicsMaths

HSC
I'm pretty sure I saw a graph in one of the HSC past papers showing that electrical resistance dropped to 0 below the critical temperature of a superconductor, so that's what they want you to say.

The following was taken from an article on superconductivity published by USYD:
"The end result is that each electron in the solid is
attracted to every other electron forming a large network of interactions. Causing just one of these
electrons to collide and scatter from atoms in the lattice means the whole network of electrons must be
made to collide into the lattice, which is energetically too costly"

Doesn't exactly explain everything, but I guess it's a sound explanation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)