Supplementary Material: Revenge Tragedy (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
This thread will contain a definitive list of supplementary material, which will be regularly updated – you do not need to search through the entire thread. Feel free to add to the list, however NO QUESTIONS IN THIS THREAD PLEASE! Only suggestions. Ta :)

All “what related texts should I use?” threads will be DELETED.

NB: Posts may be routinely deleted to allow for easy searching of “new” posts and related text information provided by BOSmembers. Also, do not be afraid if a “glittermark” appears on your post – this is just my way of keeping track of what I have and haven’t got up to yet. :)

Wondering where McLake’s old thread went? Click here

SONG LYRICS
- Rocky Racoon by The Beatles

NOVELS
- Sleepers by Lorenzo Carcaterra
- The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
- The Stars Tennis Balls by Stephen Frey
- The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith by Thomas Keneally
- The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux
- Address Unknown by Kathrine Kressmann Taylor
- The Lifes and Loves of a She Devil by Fay Weldon

PLAYS
- The Spanish Tragedy by Thomas Kyd
- Thyestes by Seneca
- Hamlet by William Shakespeare
- Macbeth by William Shakespeare
- Othello by William Shakespeare
- Titus Andronicus by William Shakespeare
- Antigone by Sohpocles
- Oedipus Rex/Oedipus the King by Sophocles
- The Duchess of Malfi by John Webster

FILMS
- Alex Cox
- An Eye for an Eye
- Batman Begins
- Braveheart
- Cruel Intentions
- Dead Man's Revenge
- Double Jeopardy
- Fatal Attraction
- Gangs of New York
- Get Carter
- Gladiator
- Henesey
- Irreversible (MA 18+: “It's a seriously stomach-turning movie which will leave you horrified for at least 24 hours. When first released, people literally walked out of the cinemas with disgust.”)
- Kill Bill
- Momento
- Munich
- Mystic River
- O (as in modern interpretation of “Othello”)
- One Hour Photo
- Patriot Games
- Payback
- Road to Perdition
- Robocop
- Romeo Must Die
- Sleepers
- Star Chamber
- Sweet Revenge
- Swimfan
- Time To Kill
- Titus / Titus Andronicus
- The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith
- The Crow
- Unfaithful
- Unforgiven
- V for Vendetta
- What lies beneath
- Witness

MISC
- Rigoletto (Italian Opera, related links: http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com...to_(opera) - This is the general synopsis of each Act. There are lots of these on the net, if you want to look for them
http://opera.prohosting.com/sarir/rigoletto.html - This is also an overview, but with some analysis
http://www.aria-database.com/cgibin/...ra=Rigoletto&a - This is a list of the arias, and I think they all have translations. Most of them do, at any rate.
links provided by roseangel)

Last edited by a moderator:

ellen180069

HSC
hamlet can't be used as an extension english supplementary text because it is used in the advanced english hsc course... i'm probably stating the obvious to most of you, but i just thought i'd let u know!!:)

p.s thanx for the list

spacetoaster

HSC
Films - The Limey.
- Rob Roy.
- 8 Women (French film)
Short Stories - Have a look at some of Roald Dahl's Tales of the Unexpected (e.g. William and Mary).You would have to do some serious bull-artistry around the tragedy aspects, but they could work if you can't find anything else.
You could also try the older versions of The Pied Piper of Hamlin - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pied_Piper_of_Hamelin.
Poems - R. Browning's My Last Duchess is a possibility.
Misc. - Some episodes of Buffy also deal with revenge and subsequently tragedy, especially in season six, but you'd need some bull-artistry again.

mitchellevelyn

HSC
Rantastic related material : Man on Fire, directed by Tony Scott. Bodyguard befriends his charge, charge gets kidnapped, bodyguard gets shot by corrupt cops diring the kidnapping, girl gets killed, bodyguard kells a couple of dozen people, takes kidnappers brother hostage, finds out girl is actually alive, trades himself for the girl. Bodyguard dies, girl lives.

Its practically Hamlet ;)

Ezzz1990

HSC
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
It also helps in a way if you studied it in Year 11 Extension as a Gothic Genre text. Because the BOS doesn't know what you studied in Year 11. :p

u-borat

Banned
HSC
Memento Mori by Jonathon Nolan, the short story precursor to Memento.
Brilliant short story, found on the internet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)