SWIMMING- The Best, Thorpe, Hackett Hoogenbavnd or Spitz (still) (1 Viewer)

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
SWIMMING- The Best, FREESTYLE and OVERAL Thorpe, Hackett Hoogenbavnd or Spitz (still)

Ok, who would you claim the worlds 'Best' Overall swimmer... Hackett, for 1500 the hardest race of all, endurance, and beating his own world record by an entire 11 secs, in 2000. Phelps, the best Medly and butterflyer in the world... Also endurance and strenght... Hoogenband, Fastest Sprinter in the world, v. hard to sprint.... or Thorpey... aussies Claim to Fame.... (my fave tee hee)
SPitz... after all these years... is he still the best the world has known... or have one of these swimmers taken over.

Last edited:

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
I wouldn't consider Phelps the Greatest swimmer by any means... Phelps 'the superfish' had all that publicity before Athens, Fare enough he did win the races he is best at the butterfly and all, but his supposed "Clear " wins over Hoogenband, Hackett and THorpe never happened... Im curious to see where phelps will go.. Freestyle Obviously not his strong point

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
having been a competitive swimmer myself, i think that swimmers shouldnt be compared in such a way as greatest or whatever. but phelps is definately not going to be considered that because he isnt as sportsman like (plus drink driving underage too). all of these people like thorpe and hackett have to prove themselves over another games first and get 3 consecutive golds in their best event like fraser did. going the 8+ years in this day and age at the top of you event is much more challenging than lowerig your own world records. you get faced with the people who are "the next blah blah blah" all the hype and thoughts you might be a has-been and still win .thorped and hackett can still do this but im not sure whether phelps will even do 4 games needed for 3 consecutive gold.

also you cant really compare eras. so i dont think anyone can be a definate greatest swimmer. i think to be called the greatest in the future is to have been so good in and out of the pool and have a huge record still in existence

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
yeah hackett is very versatile. his 1500 will suffer though if he doesnt start to train specifically for 800+ now. thats why hes not doing 200m this year.

susie oneill has a great personality and has been great for the sport but i dont think she could be considered the greatest swimmer ever. despite having been world record holder etc

Jaydels

HSC
i'd be reluctant to say that thorpie is the best, simply because i can't stand him. I'd go with Hackett

What about Petria Thomas? She is such an inspiration. After 3 shoulder reconstructions she still managed to get all those medals in Athens......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)