Syllabus development (1 Viewer)

Brontecat

HSC
I completely agree that, in the drafts, have completely dumbed down the courses, particularly in reference to Mathematics 2 Unit. If a new general course is being introduced to be even easier than the current general mathematics why is there a need to dumb down Mathematics. Personally when i was looking over the draft syllabi i noticed that i would be able to successfully pass the Extension 1 course, something that i would currently be unable to do, with myself being a 5.3 year 10 student achieving an A and band 4 in the school certificate. I am also extremely happy that i am completing my HSC in Mathematics this year, so that there will be no chance of me possibly having to be subjected to the draft changes.

HSC
N/A
Something will be said about it at the HSC examiner's day (Mason Theatre at Macquarie University, 8:45am-3:55pm, Feb. 28)

Last edited:

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Thanks God the Board isn't changing the format to the Mathematics(2unit and beyond) course for the 2010 HSC! For a moment there I thought they were actually going to add multiple choice, which would seem odd in a calculus based exam paper.

studentcheese

HSC
Thank god that there will be no multiple choice in our Maths papers! I personally suck at mutiple choice because I overthink the questions. I don't like the idea of dumbing down these courses. It's gonna let the dumb people pass.
How is australia gonna compare with other countries in maths?

HSC
N/A
The NSW Board of Studies is considering its position on the new draft Stage 6 (Years 11 and 12) Mathematics syllabuses in light of the planned 2011 implementation of a national maths curriculum.

The Board will provide advice to the NSW Minister for Education and Training after the next Board meeting on 31 March 2009.

Until further notice, NSW senior secondary maths teachers should expect to continue working with the current Stage 6 syllabuses throughout 2010.

The original timetable for the new syllabuses was to distribute them to schools this term for 12 months advance preparation time before implementation for Year 11 in 2010 and Year 12 in 2011.

In December 2008 the Minister wrote to the Board asking for advice about possible confusion if new NSW syllabuses were released just before the national syllabuses. <a href="http://news.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/index.cfm/2008/12/19/Stage-6-Mathematics-update">A notice alerting teachers</a> to this was placed on the Board's website.

At its meeting on 17 February the Board of Studies discussed this matter and decided to proceed by reviewing the final drafts of the syllabuses at its meeting on 31 March.

Following the meeting on 31 March the Board will recommend to the Minister the best approach to meet the needs of NSW students and teachers within the context of the national curriculum.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Considering how many times you used the word "snob", do you think they would consider your submission seriously? lol

HSC
N/A
Considering how many times you used the word "snob", do you think they would consider your submission seriously? lol
Well I rather think the issue will be will teachers take the NCB seriously? At the moment, they don't. So lol at that.

Schoey93

HSC
@ Trebla: was that statement directed at me???

If so, get a life. The current HSC mathematics course are, with the exception of Extension 2 and some Extension 1 topics, difficult, rigid, boring. Math is not meant to be rigid nor logical nor difficult... it should be the opposite (and many a mathematician has said so):

Math should be simple, yet elegant. Interesting yet irrelevant (to everyday life).

Math in schools is generally boring. This applies to much of the Western World... actually imo it's only Europe that actually knows how to teacher math to kids aged 11 - 18.

(i.e. High School, not universities, uni math is, from what I've heard, so f***ing different and so much BETTER... I have cousins who did/still do Engineering and Commerce @ USYD, one - Engineering is pure math, Commerce is hm mm stats, data anaylsis and consumerism mathematics - "applied math".)

Anyway. Trebla - age brings wisdom, and I am assuming you're AT LEAST 25 years old. But don't forget - as we get older - we forget things (i.e. ignorance naturally comes to us with age). Treb, you're beginning to sound like a dull, boring, uninteresting, unexcited High School mathematics teacher... when really, you're just some cool young dude who has a passion for maths. So don't be too dismissive of the new syllabuses for NSW Mathematics Stage 6.

I believe, I honestly believe (and I know because I am a Year 10 student and will be doing maths next yr ONLY if the new syllabuses are introduced, otherwise I'll pick up a FUN subject like Design &Tech)... SO SO SO many Year 10's living in NSW will be DROPPING maths all together for next year.

Every single year, without fail (well almost without fail) - check the BOS HSC Stats - the number of high school students dropping maths steadily increases. SO - to retain students' interest we really do need to introduce the new syllabuses. They have more of the applied math ideal. And although pure maths is much more awesome than applied math WE ALL KNOW THAT... it does not matter.

I WILL BE endlessly happy if just a dozen students at my school who were going to drop mathematics end up keeping it 'cos of the new vocational, Yr 12 "Mathematics General 1" course. At least then these kiddies won't have to be taught payroll on the job!!

- James. :)

Last edited:

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
The current HSC mathematics course are, with the exception of Extension 2 and some Extension 1 topics, difficult, rigid, boring.
Says who? You have not done them, so how can you tell?

And sometimes school mathematics needs to be boring. If you were not taught about equations and how they are related to lines over and over again in years 7-10, then you probably wouldn't be able to understand calculus in year 11. If you didnt learn how to do calculus in year 11 then you wouldn't be able to do this so called 'fun' mathematics in University.

This is just the reality of learning. You have to wade through the boring basic stuff to get to the challenging material; its just stuff you have to know.

Math is not meant to be rigid nor logical nor difficult
Maths is not meant to be logical??? The whole foundation of mathematics is based on logical reasoning!

Geometry is the most perfect example of this. I challenge you to try solve the following problem without logic!

ABC is a triangle with angle BAC = 40 and AB//DC with angle BCD = 25
Find the value of the angle BCA, showing all your work.

And who is to say the solution to this problem is not elegant or simple. In fact, there are a couple of ways to solve this problem, making it a more interesting and elegant exercise.

For the remainder of your post, I believe it is ignorant to be speaking about wisdom when you are only in year 10.

And its also arrogant that you make assumptions about Trebla and that you seam convinced that you have completely psychoanalyzed his whole life after one post he has made (once again an act of ignorance as well, although correct me if im wrong if you have obtained a PhD in Psychology by the tender age of 15?)

And who is to say that students are dropping out because of the syllabus? Perhaps it maybe because they are not as good at maths, hence they do not enjoy it? Or perhaps we may blame the lower high school maths and how it was taught to the individual at hand.

I am saying there is no specific evidence suggesting that students are dropping out because of the syllabus.

HSC
N/A
Schoey93, I believe Trebla's comment was directed at me concerning <a href="http://www.geocities.com/threeunitnotes/submission4.pdf">my latest submission</a>.

I note you are to do your HSC in 2011 and want the new syllabus to be implemented next year.

At the moment however, it seems unlikely that that will happen.

I was at the examiner's day today and Peter Osland from the Board of Studies was there and confirmed what I said in <a href="http://community.boredofstudies.org/4149334/post-170.html">my Feb. 24 post</a> about the new syllabus NOT being implemented in 2010.

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
@ Trebla: was that statement directed at me???
I have no idea what you're talking about. My previous post in this thread was directed at buchanan's submission in the previous post. Your elaboration based on your assumptions for someone who hasn't even experienced the HSC course in Maths astounds me.
If so, get a life. The current HSC mathematics course are, with the exception of Extension 2 and some Extension 1 topics, difficult, rigid, boring. Math is not meant to be rigid nor logical nor difficult... it should be the opposite (and many a mathematician has said so):
Maths is not meant to be logical? Maths is basically the rationalisation of every science. Without the logic behind maths, there would be little scientific advances in modern society.
Math should be simple, yet elegant. Interesting yet irrelevant (to everyday life).

Math in schools is generally boring. This applies to much of the Western World... actually imo it's only Europe that actually knows how to teacher math to kids aged 11 - 18.

(i.e. High School, not universities, uni math is, from what I've heard, so f***ing different and so much BETTER... I have cousins who did/still do Engineering and Commerce @ USYD, one - Engineering is pure math, Commerce is hm mm stats, data anaylsis and consumerism mathematics - "applied math".)
University mathematics is basically extending from Extension 2 Mathematics. It is MUCH HARDER and far more rigorous than your HSC maths. If you think Maths should be simple, think again.
Anyway. Trebla - age brings wisdom, and I am assuming you're AT LEAST 25 years old. But don't forget - as we get older - we forget things (i.e. ignorance naturally comes to us with age). Treb, you're beginning to sound like a dull, boring, uninteresting, unexcited High School mathematics teacher... when really, you're just some cool young dude who has a passion for maths. So don't be too dismissive of the new syllabuses for NSW Mathematics Stage 6.
Epic fail. If you observe closely, I'm nowhere near 25 years old LOL. I did my HSC in 2006, which is clearly stated on my profile. I am also studying Mathematics/Statistics in uni.
I believe, I honestly believe (and I know because I am a Year 10 student and will be doing maths next yr ONLY if the new syllabuses are introduced, otherwise I'll pick up a FUN subject like Design &Tech)... SO SO SO many Year 10's living in NSW will be DROPPING maths all together for next year.
The primary reason that many people are dropping maths is because they didn't like it in junior years. Prelim and HSC maths is nothing like your junior maths unless you're doing General Maths. The 2 unit and Extension 1 and 2 courses are calculus based courses. Calculus is essential should you continue to pursue Commerce, Engineering or Science degrees in uni. Also, you cannot justify your judgement having not experienced the Prelim/HSC course yourself.
Every single year, without fail (well almost without fail) - check the BOS HSC Stats - the number of high school students dropping maths steadily increases. SO - to retain students' interest we really do need to introduce the new syllabuses. They have more of the applied math ideal. And although pure maths is much more awesome than applied math WE ALL KNOW THAT... it does not matter.

I WILL BE endlessly happy if just a dozen students at my school who were going to drop mathematics end up keeping it 'cos of the new vocational, Yr 12 "Mathematics General 1" course. At least then these kiddies won't have to be taught payroll on the job!!

- James. :)
I haven't directed any criticism towards the General Maths course at all. If you're more interested in the applications of Maths in society, you should take general maths. My criticisms in this thread are directed towards the proposed 2 unit and Extensions syllabus, particularly the Extension 2 syllabus and the proposal to have Multiple Choice questions.
I think that the proposed syllabus will lower the standards expected of students and will make the course less challenging and less interesting. The MC questions (according to samples provided) are designed to trick people rather than test their knowledge and skill.
NSW is currently one of the leading states in Mathematics, and most believe this proposed syllabus will place NSW behind other states and on an international scale. Not only that, but a less rigorous syllabus will make students more likely to struggle in university mathematics because their background foundational knowledge and skills will decline.
Based on your theory that the proposed syllabus will increase enrolment in Maths courses, I think that is unlikely. Students usually base their judgements on Prelim/HSC courses based on what they experienced in junior years, simply because that is only indicator that they have. I believe that changes should be made in the junior syllabus to get more students interested in maths at the beginning, because at the moment it is too boring and encourages rote learning.
I for one, found junior Maths very boring and routine and perhaps would have dropped maths if I wasn't doing well in it. However, when I took Ext1 and Ext2, it certainly made Maths much more interesting because it is based on understanding the concepts from scratch and doing unusual questions which challenge you to approach things logically rather than doing the same questions over and over again.

That is my view based on my own experiences as a student. Come back and give your views once you've actually finished the course. :p

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
reps for trebla for keeping his cool cap on.

schoey93 - you're a good kid and all and your intentions are good - but you talk alot of shit sometimes.

PC

HSC
N/A
Relax guys. There's no need to get worked up over maths.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
schoey - kurt may be your age, but he sure as hell acts alot more mature.

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
I would dispute this. What about everyone who hates Year 10 maths, looks at a Year 11 2-unit syllabus (OR TEXTBOOK) and freaks out, saying, "Fuck this, this is too hard... all my friends that do 2-unit say it is a piece of shit and SO boring anyways why the fuck would I do it? And General is SUCH a damn bludge I would die in it... suck at harder maths though... fuck this BYE BYE maths. Drop drop drop"
Hum, one again you are making a hypothetical scenario for which you have no statistics or anything remotely resembling evidence. "What if an elephant dropped mystically from the sky and killed a two year old boy... should the elephant be booked for murder???"

It seams more like your hypothetical scenario is based solely upon your own experience? ... biased much...?

DUH! Kurt.Physics, you need to get your head screwed on right - YOU ARE BIAS, BECAUSE YOU LOVE MATHS, YOUR USERNAME REVEALS ALL - so a CLEARLY bias person such as yourself, has NO RIGHT to give reasons as to why people do or DON'T do mathematics... you're my age (probably one or two months older, I was born on Sept. 18, 1993... hey a learner driver just came down the street they looked gay maybe it was you!
This is somewhat hypercritical. You clearly hate mathematics, hence you are also bias. Therefore, from your own believe, you have "NO RIGHT to give reasons why people do or DON'T like mathematics.

And as for your incredibly immature hypothetical pay-out, firstly, i was born on July 23, 1993, and hence have not started to drive. Secondly, are you instigating that homosexuals are to be looked down upon in today's contemporary society due to their views?

Perhaps you should grow up!

Last edited:

Brontecat

HSC
DUH! Kurt.Physics, you need to get your head screwed on right - YOU ARE BIAS, BECAUSE YOU LOVE MATHS, YOUR USERNAME REVEALS ALL - so a CLEARLY bias person such as yourself, has NO RIGHT to give reasons as to why people do or DON'T do mathematics... you're my age (probably one or two months older, I was born on Sept. 18, 1993... hey a learner driver just came down the street they looked gay maybe it was you!
You obviously have no argument since you have resorted to personal insult. Yes you have a differerent view that most people, including me, do not agree with, however if u are going to argue and persuade us to believe you use facts! You are just demonstrating your immaturity by being personally vindictive towards everyone who has an opinion contrary to yours.

And to kurt.physics i very much agree with your view there is an elegance to maths particularly as you approach more dificult topics, as I learn and implement the formulae i am often amazed at how easily it fits into place. A recent example for me would be trigonometry, at first i hated it and skipped the topic, after recently going back and completing the topic i have noticed that everything is indeed logical and fits perfectly.

Sort of went a bit off topic at times there but i think i got some of my views across :D

laters bye

james .[/quote]

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
And to kurt.physics i very much agree with your view there is an elegance to maths particularly as you approach more dificult topics, as I learn and implement the formulae i am often amazed at how easily it fits into place. A recent example for me would be trigonometry, at first i hated it and skipped the topic, after recently going back and completing the topic i have noticed that everything is indeed logical and fits perfectly.
Its funny that you thought of trigonometry as a topic you hated originally because I loathed trig as well! I originally skipped this topic and though it was just something that i just would never get, but now i too have grown fond of it and have developed a high appreciation for it :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)