Sylvia Plath (1 Viewer)

phatic

HSC
Ah, I read through some of her poems a while back. Can't remember the name of it, but my favourite was the one where she wrote about being in hospital, with her family visiting - "their smiles were like hooks", etc.

Once I saw those last poems though, I wouldn't ever consider reading her again. To make poetry out of madness is one thing, but that business with the devil is taking it way too far imo. Those poems are too frighteningly real.

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
Melbourne, or as it shoulda, could, woulda been ca
HSC
Born Dancer said:
our english tutor last semester was an obvious feminist.
she made us read plath and and woolf every lesson
I hate it when people reduce authors like plath and woolf to 'feminist writers' as if that is their only outstanding feature. I'm not denying that their are feminist issues looked at in these author's works, nor that they often deal with feminine issues such as motherhood. But it just irks me that people focus in on only one of the many amazing aspects of these artists work.

For me, Plath is just so fucking powerful. I have such viceral reactions to some of her poems - i literally feel a shock in my body. Sometimes it's instant (like in 'cut') but others, its not till the 8th time I'vre read it that the power of the image hit me ('Edge' was like that for me - the whole inversion of maternal images, the snakes and empty breasts and... god, it even gives me a shiver now.)

Not exactly feel good stuff, but amazing.

Oh, and the poem about the smiles of her family being like 'hooks' in 'Tulips' in Areil.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)