Tag! (1 Viewer)

afdoty2007

HSC
Hi my name is Claire and I'm hoping to study abroad nect year in Germany, but my german isn't very good...practically non-existent. Can anyone help me?

T

Testpilot

I can't help you with German as I am learning Japanese but here is some things to help with learning a language.

1. Search the net, you can find grammar and vocab. Try to memorise it.
2. Try to find a German native speaker who you can talk to.
3. Watch German movies on SBS, you will pick up things if you cover the subtitles.
4. Download podcats from iTunes. There are usually free shows that teach languages.

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
1. Grammar is probably the one most important thing. Buy yourself Schaum's Outlines for German, or better yet, Hammer's German Grammar and Usage (check it all out on Amazon).

2. Once you start picking up small phrases, try to start thinking in German. It took me about a month to be able to translate most of my simpler thoughts into German. (This is in Y12 IB German)

3. The thing about German movies on SBS, is that once you become more fluent you will realise that the subtitles translate the gist, and often leave information out (common sense). So that's not a very good way.

4. Go buy/borrow some books in German (fiction) - it is quite amazing how quickly you begin to increase your vocabulary (once you know the grammar - step 1) from just the one book.

5. You also have to enjoy learning the language. Most people generally do, once they start to see improvement.

Viel Glueck! Ich hoffe dass Sie Ihre Ziele bei dem Lernen Deutsch erreichen.

Last edited:

elisabeth

HSC
Komm Petar, wir sind doch alle beim Du hier, oder?

The key to learning German is immersion and it's completely possible wherever you are. Go through grammar books, rent movies in German, watch German TV shows, read German websites and books, find people in your area who you can practise German with. Music is also a brilliant way of getting more familiar with the language - it's more fun than dry textbook learning and you'll pick up on many phrases and find that you often instinctively know which case or article is right.

It sounds like you're really psyched about learning the language which is the most important thing. You could be living here but if you can't be bothered to make the effort, you wouldn't see much of an improvement. (I have some days like that and I live here...)

What kind of study in Germany are you thinking about, a uni exchange or a high school one? I'm doing the latter, if you have any questions you can always PM me.

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
Ich habe kuerzlich diesen Ort auf BOS entdeckt. Letztes Jahr lernte ich Deutsch fur das IB Programm. Trotz das jetzt vergesse ich langsam die Sprache. Es entmutigt...

You are living in Germany on exchange? I hope to do that someday. Has it met your expectations as a culture, peoples and way of life? Clearly it is of an enormous help in improving your language.

P

pLuvia

Just watch as much german tv shows as possible, inspector rex? I studied german in year 7 & 8 was really interesting and fun, but now I study japanese cont + ext because school didn't offer it in senior years. Still I enjoy learning languages.

Edit: I've been to japan for 3 weeks, as an exchange student and I must say lots of japanese people know english to some extent, not sure if that's the case in germany. But I'm sure your host family/guardian can speak and english. Try to speak as much german as you know even the tiniest things.

Last edited by a moderator:

galadriel100

HSC
You just need to put your mind to it. I managed to learn a years worth of German in 6 weeks. I simply went through the text book and wrote things down, tested myself etc. I found that reading German websites was good. The childrens' sections of German websites can be quite helpful as they're written in simple German.

You'll also pick up the language really quickly in Germany. I went there during the Christmas holidays. In the first week I couldn't understand all that much but after a few weeks I could understand pratically everything that was being spoken. And make sure the people over there don't speak to you in English too often. If so, you wont learn as much.

I wouldn't concentrate on grammar, concentrate on your vocab, so that you can make a sentence(even if it is all mixed up). People will understand you even if your grammar isn't perfect.

As the others have suggested, watch as many German shows on SBS as possible. Stick some paper or something over the subtitles, then you'll learn more, so so I think. "Extra German" is a really good program to watch. I think it's on at 10.30am on Mondays on the ABC. It's made for students studying German, so it's not too hard to understand. Borrow some German DVDs if you can.

And the best way to learn a language is to communicate, so if you can, talk to some other people who speak German.

Here's a site that may have some helpful material on it :)
http://www.germanlinx.vic.edu.au/media_links/index.htm

Viel Glueck!

elisabeth

HSC
I would have to disagree with you there Galadrial. I'm not saying just using grammar books is the best idea, but definately don't make the mistake of not learning a good amount of grammar. It is critical if you want to go anywhere with the language, in regards to careers and the HSC, although not so important if your only aim to to survive in Germany. There's a lot to take in so don't try and tackle it all at once. Break it down into smaller sections and do make an effort to learn it.

And just another point to note here, whilst demonstrating sound knowledge of the grammar and a wide vocab are important in the HSC, you will probably be allowed a dictionary in your exams (depending on which course you do). So if you're missing a few words in the exam, that's can be taken care of, but nothing can help you if you don't know when to use the accusative or dative.

With my exchange - it's different than I expected. Before I went I had sort of glorified and idealised everything about Germany and now that I live there, I've come to know the good and bad parts of their culture and society. On the whole it's been a good experience because I've grown up a lot and my German is obviously loads better (cause I never speak English with anyone), despite nagging issues with my host family and that my classmates aren't the most open people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)