Teachers not allowing students to pick a subject (1 Viewer)

bladeys

HSC
N/A
Long story short, a mate wants to do 3u maths in Year 11 but his teacher has told him he cant do it and that the school wont let him. What are his options? (He wants to do 3u obviously)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Is the class full?

Schools aren't really meant to prevent students from doing subjects, but I think sometimes people can sometimes be stopped if the class is full.

Nevertheless if he wants to do 3U badly, he can try going over their heads. I know cem or another teacher probably knows the ins and outs of this, but he can definitely pursue this.

iBibah

HSC
He can take it to the Board of Studies.

I'm pretty sure they can't stop you from doing a course unless it doesn't run or is full.

madharris

HSC
N/A
Maybe the course is full or else they don't think he is good enough to do it
He can move schools if he really want to do it or he can just do 2u.
Can't think of any other options
Good luck to him :)

bladeys

HSC
N/A
Cheers for the replies, the classes are definitely not full they dont want him to do it because they dont think he is good enough.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
^In that case, he can definitely fight it. Yr 10 performance shouldn't be indicative of senior performance. He deserves the chance to try. As the class is running and not full, he has a case. He can definitely contact the boardofstudies if he he has already exhausted head teacher and principal pleading.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
As a teacher this is a hard time of the year when you are teaching Year 10 because kids come up and ask if they can do your subject. Sometimes you have to be brutally honest and say that you think they will not be successful in your subject based on the evidence of the previous years. Of course I don't ever say to a student that they shouldn't try it but I do know that some schools do make the advice more formal. It is however only advice and from my experience if a student is able to put up a good enough case they will allow the student to start.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
As a teacher this is a hard time of the year when you are teaching Year 10 because kids come up and ask if they can do your subject. Sometimes you have to be brutally honest and say that you think they will not be successful in your subject based on the evidence of the previous years. Of course I don't ever say to a student that they shouldn't try it but I do know that some schools do make the advice more formal. It is however only advice and from my experience if a student is able to put up a good enough case they will allow the student to start.
+1, thanks for your valuable contribution!

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
yep, this is how it should be.

The teacher can advise against it, but really every student should have to opportunity to give it a go and do like 12/13/14 units in year 11 and then drop the 1/2/3/4 unit/s they aren't so good at.

Amunoruk

HSC
They would be a lot more stricter because he goes to a top5 school and obviously the school only wants the best to go on and do extension subjects?

bladeys

HSC
N/A
Thanks heaps, Id rep you but for some reason theres no more rep

MUSE13

HSC
Uni Grad
i know one private Catholic school , where some subjects were "invites only", whereby you had to be "invited" by the teacher in order to do certain subjects this applied to the harder sciences (physics, chemistry) and adv english and adv maths pretty stupid system but a lot of students ended up with electives they didn't want to do simply because you don't invited to do chem or physics or maths..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)