Technical question on illness and misadventure (1 Viewer)

engie_benji

HSC
if you are accepted for misadventure, your exam mark becomes the greater out of your exam and assessment mark, right? For example, my internal mark for adv english is 79% and this means i would be guaranteed an external mark of at least 79%. Here's the real question. If the band 6 cutoff was 78% this year, does this 79% that i achieved in as my internal mark mean I would get aligned as though i sat the test and thus I am guaranteed to scrape into at least a band 6? (my aim is actually band 5 but im wondering)

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Yes and no. It does become the greater out of your exam and assesment mark but it doesnt work that way as it's not the trial marks or raw internal marks which are used. It's based off the moderated internal marks which depend on everybody elses marks in the hsc.

D94

HSC
N/A
Just to elaborate on what brent012 said....
engie_benji said:
For example, my internal mark for adv english is 79% and this means i would be guaranteed an external mark of at least 79%.
No, not really. You have to remember that internal school marks are moderated according to how well you and your school perform in the exam, relative to the state. You are essentially given what your rank would get if you were to not sit the exam, or if you did sit the exam, then it's which ever one is higher. So, your 79% raw internal mark could drop to say 60% because your school did really bad, so 60% would be your English mark.

The only mark the Board can be certain of is the one you get in the HSC. They can't rely on your internal raw mark because your assessments could have been basic or extremely hard, hence moderation.

Last edited:

engie_benji

HSC
oh rito, itd be more about how your cohort goes wouldnt it? because im ranked 11th i am awarded the 11th highest exam mark and this is used to moderate my assessment? am i correct?

D94

HSC
N/A
oh rito, itd be more about how your cohort goes wouldnt it? because im ranked 11th i am awarded the 11th highest exam mark and this is used to moderate my assessment? am i correct?
Well, you'd be taken out of the moderation process (obviously because you don't have an exam mark, or that it's not fit for moderation), and then you'd be placed in between the 10th and 11th moderated mark, keeping in mind your initial gap difference between your ranks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)