Technique? (1 Viewer)

Gryffindor

HSC
Is there any sort of technique in this line?
"Then must you speak of one that loved not wisely but too well"

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I think a good way of approaching this quote is by examining its expression in modern English:

If you’re being fair, you’ll have to describe me as someone who loved too much, but who wasn’t wise about it.

The most apparent technique here becomes high modality with the use of the word "must" to stress the need for describing him as "one that loved not wisely but not too well" in order to show fairness and avoid exaggeration, which is also emphasised by the preceding quote:

When you shall these unlucky deeds relate,

Speak of me as I am. Nothing extenuate,

Nor set down aught in malice.

In modern English, this expresses the following:

When you record these sad events in your letters, please describe me exactly as I am. Don't tone things down or exaggerate them out of hostility.

I hope this helps! :D

may22

HSC
I guess you could also go with the alliteration of 'wisely' and 'well'
And maybe hyperbaton in the part saying 'loved not wisely'

Gryffindor

HSC
I think a good way of approaching this quote is by examining its expression in modern English:

If you’re being fair, you’ll have to describe me as someone who loved too much, but who wasn’t wise about it.

The most apparent technique here becomes high modality with the use of the word "must" to stress the need for describing him as "one that loved not wisely but not too well" in order to show fairness and avoid exaggeration, which is also emphasised by the preceding quote:

When you shall these unlucky deeds relate,

Speak of me as I am. Nothing extenuate,

Nor set down aught in malice.

In modern English, this expresses the following:

When you record these sad events in your letters, please describe me exactly as I am. Don't tone things down or exaggerate them out of hostility.

I hope this helps! :D
Wow thank you, this was both very extensive and helpful!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)