Test drive/ride experiences (1 Viewer)

quik.

HSC
Thread title is pretty self explanatory but for those who are a little behind the curve, post up your test drive/ride experiences here.

Try to give a bit of an actual assessment, you don't have to do scientific comparisons of the g forces generated while accelerating, although you can if you want

Overall rating out of 10 at a minimum, break things down more if you feel so inclined

Really this is just to encourage people to get out, have a fang and yeah

Pictures are good to

(Suggestions for stuff to add to OP/guidelines welcome cos this is all off the top o' me head)

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
This thread won't get very far tbh, I imagine that the only person that has done proper test drives is seremify, and you'll have a few early next year since everyone else is a p plater. Anyway:

2009 Mazda 3 MPS

To be fair I only punted it up sunnyholt road, braked as hard as I could, then threw it around exactly 2 corners at something like 60. Have no proper frame of reference but I'd say roughly on par with 250 bike in terms of acceleration and best brakes I've ever used. Understeered like a cunt through the corners but what do you expect from a fwd with that much power.

Loved the interior too, buttons everywhere but I'm a nerd and it felt like I was in the millennium falcon. You can fit 2 adults in the back seats (lolol) which is great.

Blind spots felt bigger than I'm used to though, and you can see exactly nothing behind you if its within like 4m of your car. Wouldn't stop me from buying it though. Bonnet scoop might, though.

8/10

quik.

HSC
While top gear is loadinggg

Mazda 2 (2007 or 2008 model, seat time ~30-40 hours)

Fairly peppy little engine. Doesn't have an issue with sitting on the motorway and is quick enough from a stop to not make me rage.

Poor visibility to the side due to massive A pillars or whatever they are called, have to be that little bit more cautious with head checks etc. Little bit cramped if you are not quite skinny. Gearstick in a very forward position compared to where you would expect it to be, bit of fumbling around like a dumbarse until you get used to it.

Mirrors work how mirrors should, backseat has okay amounts of room unless the front seat peeps have their chairs back. Has a reverse sensor in case you are shit at parking. Has an annoying 'seat belt sensor' that will beep if there is a passenger but belt is not done up.

Clutch is decent, friction point is a little ambiguous but quick shifts work fine. Steering is a bit soft/doughy but nothing to really complain about. Can spin the wheels if you so desire.

Relatively cheap to fill (I believe my friend gets 400-450km from a $40 tank)

Servicing cost is a bit of a rip at Mazda dealer, $300 for a minor (oil and air filter change).

Looks a bit like a spaceship from the drivers seat, lots of fun gauges and stuff.

Overall a p good little car.

8/10

quik.

HSC
Yeah it might not take off, but if it does and gets filled with P plate legal vehicles then I don't see that as a bad thing. Being a student forum most people will be on P's as you mentioned sooo

At the least I will post up test rides over the next 2 months and make you hate yourself

quik.

HSC
2004 Honda VTR250, 2 years of ownersheep

Good little 250. Vtwin so you have some torque available to you, will get you off the line fast enough to put a decent gap between you and other traffic.

Accelerates relatively well up to 100, noticeably slows after that though (I am 90kg for reference). Good for 150-160km/h if you have enough road although will vibrate quite a bit on the way.

Handles great, very easy to flick around traffic. Suspension leaves a bit to be desired (although most 250s do I would imagine), can always respring/oil if you think it is necessary. Bike is a little cramped for me (180cm), and can get a little uncomfortable at times. But obviously not a huge issue seeing as I've owned it for so long.

Fairly capable in the twisties, although feedback can be a little abrupt due to the suspension. Brakes are pretty good, gearbox is a bit light for my tastes (I prefer a firmer/more positive shift) but snicks into gear just fine, never missed a gear apart from the odd false neutral when learning.

Pretty easy to work on yourself, minor service can be done quite quickly although is a bit fiddly so you might want a friend with small hands to help. Doable on your own though.

As far as reliability goes, the only thing I've had to replace was the regulator/rectifier which is a common Honda problem.

Gets 220km on ~8L

Overall a great learner bike, punchy enough to have fun on and easy to handle while you learn the ropes. Having ridden it for 2 years now, I have been 'used to' the power (and wanting more) for a while and so I don't know if I could recommend it for the entire length of the new 3 year system, but as a starting place I wouldn't hesitate to give it the thumbs up.

9/10

Last edited:

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A
1994 FZR600

First impression is of an extremely narrow, light machine, taking into consideration the model was first sold over 20 years ago. Sitting on and just pushing it around, It feels exactly like a CBR250. Nothing like comparable bikes of the time like the CBR600f2, which are fat and tank like.

Most 90's sportsbikes were cushy sports-tourers. There was a trend in the 1990's where manufacturers produced bikes like the CBR600f, YZF600 thundercat, ZZR600, fast yet practical all-rounders.

The FZR600 is not one of these bikes. The FZR is spiritually much more akin to something like the 1985 GSXR750. A stripped down, basic racebike, with no consideration given to road use. It's much lighter than any other bike of it's time, including it's successor the thundercat.

All the equipment and build looks cheap and nasty, it looks and feels relatively budget, but they were cheap when new, so eh.

The ride position is entirely track focused. Seat is firm as, cut wrong, bars are too far in front and too low. It's perfect when you want to get up it however.

Mine doesn't go round corners amazingly well (considering I'm comparing to other, newer sportsbikes), poor confidence in the front. This could be due to tires, age and wear, but it's backed up by internet reports which are universal in suggesting the rear suspension at least needs replacing from new.

Brakes are probably it's strongest point.

The tires are a narrow profile, 140 rear and 110 front, so it's got the quick change of direction you get from the old style bikes.

Power is adequate, you'll blow off supercharged V8's at the lights if you rev it and drop the clutch. It's very linear, there's enough down low. It lacks any real top end rush though, none of the punch even of other 600's of the same age, let alone later 600's or larger. It gets the job done, without being really in danger of scaring you at any point.

In the USA, where there are no restrictions on what learners can ride, these are often recommended as a first bike, and they're not far wrong. I might be blase about power because I'm used to it, but for someone looking the gain experience they're a very easy to handle bike.

It's probably the best cheap track bike you can buy right now. For <$2000 you can easily get a bike that needs nothing doing to it, faster than an RGV, they're very reliable and parts are cheap.

If you're serious about owning one of these, you have to purchase a workshop manual and learn to use it, the four carbs are supposed to be synchronised every 5000km for a start, you have to drain the system and remove the radiator if you want to inspect a spark plug, you have to drain the oil and remove the clutch cover to change the clutch cable etc... it's seriously fucked. I'm sure anything newer is much worse.

Mine has 7 months rego, Just had a new clutch, new fuel pump, new fuel cap, nothing needs doing now, for sale $2500.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
While top gear is loadinggg

Mazda 2 (2007 or 2008 model, seat time ~30-40 hours)

Fairly peppy little engine. Doesn't have an issue with sitting on the motorway and is quick enough from a stop to not make me rage.

Poor visibility to the side due to massive A pillars or whatever they are called, have to be that little bit more cautious with head checks etc. Little bit cramped if you are not quite skinny. Gearstick in a very forward position compared to where you would expect it to be, bit of fumbling around like a dumbarse until you get used to it.

Mirrors work how mirrors should, backseat has okay amounts of room unless the front seat peeps have their chairs back. Has a reverse sensor in case you are shit at parking. Has an annoying 'seat belt sensor' that will beep if there is a passenger but belt is not done up.

Clutch is decent, friction point is a little ambiguous but quick shifts work fine. Steering is a bit soft/doughy but nothing to really complain about. Can spin the wheels if you so desire.

Relatively cheap to fill (I believe my friend gets 400-450km from a $40 tank)

Servicing cost is a bit of a rip at Mazda dealer, $300 for a minor (oil and air filter change).

Looks a bit like a spaceship from the drivers seat, lots of fun gauges and stuff.

Overall a p good little car.

8/10
Interesting read on your take of the Mazda2. I had to test drive one of these (in automatic guise) for my friend's girlfriend and found the car to be a fun little thing to drive. The price was good at under $21k driveaway (back when it was relatively newly launched) for 5 door base model, auto, non-metallic paint (red) and safety pack and I found that at speeds of under 100km/h it was surprisingly stable and the chassis was fun to toss around on the highway. Definitely a recommended car for young P Platers especially if you aren't looking for something too fast or impractical for daily usage. The thing which really struck me was how good the balance of the car was for a sub $20k car of that time- I'm a huge supporter of cars which have inherent good dynamics to avoid an accident as opposed to cars which toss in a bunch of airbags and electronics to try to compensate for poor design.

This car is considerably better than the Honda Jazz of similar price range which is both underpowered somehow (it felt slow trying to accelerate) but the Jazz feels better built inside with a slightly more upmarket/quality feel. That being said, getting a similar level Jazz driveaway in the 1.3L guise automatic (no stability control) without additional safety pack was $19,990 driveaway or $24k with the safety pack since it wasn't included in the 'sales promotion' of the time. I'd definitely go with the Mazda2 over this.

The car I really wanna try is the Fiesta.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah it might not take off, but if it does and gets filled with P plate legal vehicles then I don't see that as a bad thing. Being a student forum most people will be on P's as you mentioned sooo

At the least I will post up test rides over the next 2 months and make you hate yourself
LOL I think it's good to have reviews of P-plate friendly cars which are suitable for the majority of readers here. It's all great having car magazines review performance cars and test out the great handling and performance attributes but there is a gap in the amount of reviews aimed at the younger market who are more budget and image conscientious, care about insurance and petrol costs more than acceleration figures, etc...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)