Textbook for new syllabus (1 Viewer)

frog0101

HSC
N/A
Hi, Hi, what are the best textbooks to use for the new syllabus for detailed explanations and good questions? Any suggestions would be great!!

Thanks

HSC
N/A
I know at least one selective school that has decided on the Pearson Texts for Chem... (I havent seen the book myself though)
http://www.pearson.com.au/educator/...son-biology-chemistry-physics-nsw/components/

My personal advice for anyone who is dedicated to their science topic, or thinking of study beyond the HSC, is to get a first year Uni Text, eg Brown Lemay Chemistry The Central Science (if it were Physics, Young & Freedman OR Halliday Resnick) - you can get these textbooks at not too bad a price second hand and I feel they are MUCH easier to follow than HSC books, which are by necessity abridged in their ability to be thorough. Good luck!

akaalfauj

HSC
I recommend the Pearson Textbooks, they are easy to follow and have in depth explanations of different the components and concepts. However, it doesn't have assessment type questions.

Atrium

HSC
Uni Grad
There are three main textbooks I would recommend, it depends on your studying style. The above posters are correct in pointing out that Pearson is great at explaining concepts, but it does lack exam-style or concept-style questions.

Surfing's NSW Chemistry isn't bad. It's a very concise textbook that covers the core basics but it doesn't spend a lot of time going through concepts in detail. However, it does have a lot of practice questions available (again, not at the examinable level).

Lastly you have Nelson's Chemistry in Focus, somewhat halfway between Pearson Surfing, but I dislike the formatting. It's a little disorientating at times.

One last note about University textbooks, I completely agree that they are good for content but you need to know which sub-topics are beyond the syllabus scope.

alexded

HSC
Surely I would recommend the Pearson Textbooks. And for other more specific questions, you may also refer to the website of BOC Sciences (bocsci.com)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)