Thailand (1 Viewer)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Hey guys

So my friend and I are planning on going to Bangkok later this year, and its my first overseas trip alone (alone, is in, without parents), and I so have no idea.

I went on a cruise when I was younger, and had a day in Phuket, which I loved, but apart from that, I have no idea. I mean, I know you can ride elephants in the north and stuff...

Ok, so I have no idea what I'm asking. Basically, can anyone give me a crash course in everything Thailand? *smiles sweetly*

I hear shopping is cheap...but what, is it everything, or only certain things? The exchange rate is about AU$1.00:THB29.27, so if I were to exhange $100, I'd get 2927.00 Baht back, but what could I buy with that, is that a lot of money?

Argh, I give up, just tell me everything you know!! (must see attractions, hints and tips, etc)

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Your gonna feel like a millionare in Bangkok. As you said, $1 is about 30 Baht. 30 Baht will get you a plate of Pad thai and basically you can live off any meal for about $1 AUS or less.

Shopping is dirt cheap, even the real stuff is alot cheaper. Eg Lacoste polos from the Lacost store are around $50. You'll find alot of cheap clothes in the markets, but the quality is questionnable. We bought alot of tshirts and summer clothing from a aplace called Chatachuk market, its like 10 times bigger than Paddys.

Theres the usual tourist stuffin bangkok like the grand palace, floating markets, muay thai (kick boxing) and if your game enough visit the red light district (which is pretty much everywhere) for a ping pong show or two. Oh yeah and visit Phket again, or phi phi island.

Pack light, if you need clothes you can buy it there cause its so cheap, like you can get a t-shirt for like $2. It's bloody hot there but might be cooler if you go now, as in it will probalyh be about 30 degrees o_O.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
haha, "a ping pong show or two" is one of the main reasons we're going!!

thanks for the tips!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
What do you reckon it will be like in July? I'm stopping there for a few days on my way back from Europe, will the weather be horrible, does anyone know?

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
I thinnk July is actually the hottest time of the year.

vicchick_007

Eternal student
HSC
I was in BKK about 3 weeks ago.

Lived like a queen!!!

I recommend the mido hotel, its pretty cheap and near a lot of the big shopping cites etc.

Don't worry about busses or trains (as reliable as they are). You can get around by taxi for a couple of bucks. Tuk tuk's are a lot cheaper.

There are shopping centres with department stores much like like our DJ's or Myers in a complex called Central. There, you can find the stuff we have at home, same brands etc, all authentic for about 2/3rds of what we'd pay here. Don't worry about packing clothes. Buy some cheap luggage and fill her up.

Chutuchuk is a fucking dream!! Spend a day there. People come on shopping holidays from all over the world just to catch this place on weekends. Definately worth checkin out.

In regards to tourist attractions, there are awesome temples and shrines in BKK. Even if u arent buddhist, its an amazing experience. Just stay open minded. The rose gardens are also pretty cool. Lots of clever elephants.

Oh and photos, develop them in BKK. Develop them ALL in BKK, infact, take film that hasnt been developed from home to develop in BKK. I took a shitload of pictures and was too lazy to go back and get my other films processed and found myself paying 4 times the amount i would have payed back there.

Food is dirt cheap, be careful about the stuff on the side of the street. Always travel with health insurance.

I didnt do much touristy stuff in BKK, to tell you the truth, apart from the bargains, there wasnt much else to it. I found it to be a hollow city with little or no culture. But i suppose having been through laos and cambodia beforehand, my expectations would have been somewhat high.

If you wanna really dig deep into thai culture and all, i suggest you head up north to the golden triangle. Chiang mai and chiang rai.

Be cautious of bag snatchers, dont give money to beggars, always stay close to friends and all that...

Hope you have a great time!

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Next question, how much $$ do you think this trip will cost me? I'm thinking of allowing $2000 for flights and accomodation (generous, I know), but the whole spending money thing has me stuck. I don't want to be scrimping and saving this whole year, but at the same time, I don't want to get over there and be poor, or worse, run out of money, even with the insanely good exchange rate.

Also, what areas are good for like, really cheap shopping, nightlife, etc? To compare it to Sydney, I don't want to be stuck at Campbelltown when I should be in the CBD!

Last edited:

incubus_gurl

HSC
Put it this way. Grab your school bag, pack your bikini, a shirt, pair of boardies and jeans, oh and a towel and sunscreen. Because you'll be able to buy everything else over there. My friend worked her way South to North for under $1600 and it took her 2 and a half weeks. AND all she did was book her flight and the first and last nights accomodation in Thailand. They waited until they got there for everything else.

incubus_gurl

HSC
Oh and the night life is cranking. They have full moon parties that last for four days straight. People come from all over the world just for these parties. But there are tonnes of clubs so you'll be fine. It'll be awesome, i can't wait to get my ass over there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)