that stung... ESTIMATE your mark!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

estimate your mark!!!!!

• 0-10% (i just sat the exam for fun)

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • 10-20%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20-30%

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • 30-40% im average

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • 40-50% im average

Votes: 10 13.7%
  • 50-60%

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • 70-80% im a freak

Votes: 14 19.2%
  • 80-90% im also a freak

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • i love maths%(>90)

Votes: 11 15.1%

• Total voters

atomic frenzy

ok everyone

since this yr's 4u maths was apparently sooooo easy, then would good marks be not so good anymore?

for instance, a 70% raw mark,,,,, used to be excellent, but now would be pretty krap?

what do you think?

Winsux

fuck!

well if 70% is going to be crap, then mid-high 50% is even worse. But like Lazarus says, if other people go well, everyone will be scaled pretty well. Seeing as though over 50% of people got scaled to over 88 last year, i'm not too worried about the mark

anyone stressing about the software test on friday? Gheeze those tests are poorly designed

spice girl

magic mirror
Shouldn't worry too much about how BOS scales your mark. The UAC people will re-work the marks to where they should be. Like, I hear last year lots of ppl who got really good marks from BOS, were surprised at their relatively shit UAI.

The bit about how your mark is measured by outcomes is just a load of political BS, an excuse to screw around with the HSC. The UAI will still measure your marks relative to everyone elses. It's not like if everyone in next yr's HSC does better than this yr's, that they would have more 99+ UAI's. There'll still be the same proportions. (that's wot I think)

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by spice girl
Shouldn't worry too much about how BOS scales your mark. The UAC people will re-work the marks to where they should be. Like, I hear last year lots of ppl who got really good marks from BOS, were surprised at their relatively shit UAI.

The bit about how your mark is measured by outcomes is just a load of political BS, an excuse to screw around with the HSC. The UAI will still measure your marks relative to everyone elses. It's not like if everyone in next yr's HSC does better than this yr's, that they would have more 99+ UAI's. There'll still be the same proportions. (that's wot I think)
Yes, UAC's scaling is far superior to BOS's.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Just thought I'd add... spice girl is exactly right. :)

macca202

Originally posted by Winsux
fuck!

But like Lazarus says, if other people go well, everyone will be scaled pretty well. Seeing as though over 50% of people got scaled to over 88 last year, i'm not too worried about the mark
ok, two things to say:

1. 50% of people got equal to or over 88 (actually 87.8) as the ALIGNED HSC MARK!!!, which is the mark u get from the BOS. This is just the BOS's mark according to the course outcomes /bands or whatever they call it... The actual scaled mark, which is the mark that gets scaled for direct UAI calculation is different.
An hsc mark of 88 in 4 unit maths gets scalled to over 93!!!!!!!!Pretty good hey, considering that if u got an average scaled mark of 80 in all your subjects (i.e 400/500 total), you would get a UAI over 94.8!!!!!! (by the way, if u went that well in all your subjects you will get a uai of 99.9)

2. if other ppl went well in the test, and you didn't, there is not much use in that, UNLESS, this is an indication that this years 4U students are smarter, which is unlikely with 16% more 4U candidates this year than last, but still possible. How your mark is scaled has every thing to do with how well the candidates go in all their subjects, and what your individual position in the group is.

Last edited:

Winsux

Yeah, but its a little hard to know how well you went in your group. for example, i will expect a raw mark of somwhere between 50-60%, yet a heap of people are above me from this poll (if they're telling the truth - DAMN ENGLISH COMING BACK AGAIN). as i'm thinking this group is fairly elite, and i am ranked 1st in our school for the subject, i think i went fairly average for the group. Yet i will only find out late december. its a waste of time talking about all this scaling stuff now, i just want the results

NB. i have to admit there were only 5 people doing the subject, but our teacher seems to think we're doing pretty well

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Pffft... the ten in 90-100% an outright lie. Anyone can just poll it. I'd be more inclined to believe 6 or less.

Truly, Look at the next band down, there's only one. Although this year's question weren't distributed well in terms of difficulty, there'd be more 80-90% people. (compare to 3u poll)

macca202

i am the * poll master pl !!!!! am i lazarous (gos) or whtat hey ppl look at me i am invincible

ps. dont go out in miiddle of exams... it KILSSS brain ceelss)

Last edited:

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by sleepy
oh my gosh im a junior member now!! yay..
after more than 2 months!!
For some named "sleepy" your up very late ...

sleepy

haha
yeah well i wake up late as well
10:30 for the past week and a half!!
damn it chems on tomorrow morning
yawnnnnn
i mite take a nap now..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)