The awkward moment when you don't belong to a place (1 Viewer)

mirakon

nigga
HSC
"If a singular noun ends with an s-sound (spelled with -s, -se, for example), practice varies as to whether to add 's or the apostrophe alone. A widely accepted practice is to follow whichever spoken form is judged better: the boss's shoes, Mrs Jones' hat (or Mrs Jones's hat, if that spoken form is preferred). In many cases, both spoken and written forms differ between writers"

Thank you for confusing us all English Language.

HSC
Ellis eilis ellis eilis ellis eilis ellis eilis ellis eilis ellis eilis ellis eilis ellis eilis ellis eilis ellis eilis ellis eilis ellis eilis

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
"If a singular noun ends with an s-sound (spelled with -s, -se, for example), practice varies as to whether to add 's or the apostrophe alone. A widely accepted practice is to follow whichever spoken form is judged better: the boss's shoes, Mrs Jones' hat (or Mrs Jones's hat, if that spoken form is preferred). In many cases, both spoken and written forms differ between writers"

Thank you for confusing us all English Language.

Personal names ending in s

There are various and complex rules that are sometimes applied for personal names ending in s. The Style manual for authors, editors and printers (2002) recommends for simplicity that an apostrophe followed by ('s) should be added to any personal name ending in s to show ownership or association:

Professor Collins's book (the book belonging to or written by Prof. Collins)
Dr Saunders's lecture (the lecture presented by Dr Saunders)

Generally, The Chicago Manual of Style is in line with the majority of current guides, and recommends the traditional practice but provides for several exceptions to accommodate spoken usage, including the omission of the extra s after a polysyllabic word ending in a sibilant.[20] Rules that modify or extend the standard principle have included the following:
If the singular possessive is difficult or awkward to pronounce with an added sibilant, do not add an extra s

Classical, biblical, and similar names ending in a sibilant

ye conclusion Eilis's is more acceptable so the Board went with it

FTW

HSC
I figured if I spell it exactly the way they do - Eilis's - then there is no way I can be marked wrong.
That being said of course they won't deduct marks unless one of the criteria was:
Spelt protagonist's name correctly.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
the part i didn't get was that the paper said "Eilis's"

I thought correct grammar was Eilis'
Because Eilis is a Celtic name that is pronounced ee-lee so it's different?
But still it made no sense to me. I wrote Eilis' in my answer.

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
Anyone else notice the blue confirmation sheet, for section III it only had 2 II's?

mirakon

nigga
HSC
yeah we corrected it after some student pointed it out

catalyst91

HSC
They should have used a more conventional name... like Doug.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)