The Bush Legacy (1 Viewer)

How do you rate the Presidency of George W Bush?

• Total voters

reh

Long Thick Member
HSC
a right kuffuffal

2 wars, both enduring longer than the US involvement in World War 2,
2 recessions...
lowest approval rating ever...22%, 1 below Nixon's 23%

fuckin onya George Dubya

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Apparently the administration had plans to do legacy stuff in the last hundred days, but the financial crisis put a cruel end to that (wouldve been great if it waited till Obama's day one)

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Some poll elsewhere asked me this, too.

I thought about it, and I honestly wanted to give him just "bad", but when I thought about a bit more, I realised it would have been hard to fuck things up more than he did, so "awful".

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
You have to mark him hard on Iraqi intelligence and initial handling of the war...
Inaction on climate change
Kinda stole the election

Good marks on 9/11
AIDS funding to 3rd world
Managed China's rise well

Captin gay

Supremacist.
HSC
George W. Bush continued the deplorable erosion of the Enlightenment principles that America was founded upon. America became the greatest nation on planet Earth not on May 8 1945, not during the Fall of the Soviet Union but on July 4, 1776. Everything else is a pale imitation.

spiny norman

HSC
I hate to be one of those knobs who names the current guy as the worst President ever (let alone Bush, where everyone does it).

But really, I can't see him not rank down there. The economic collapse, even if not entirely his fault, will only further cement it.

Millard Fillmore, Franklin Pierce, James Buchanan, Andrew Johnson, Ulysses Grant, Warren Harding, George W. Bush.

So it will be.

reh

Long Thick Member
HSC
Iron said:
Managed China's rise well
idk if you are being sarcastic here,

But China has fertilised the fucken apple tree with America. And we all know, an apple a day keeps the doctor away.

that is, China invests in America, thereby funding the American trade deficit in which case America is importing goods from China (using Chinese funds).
The chinese are feasting off the interest earnt, and export earnings that america is providing for them

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I was talking foreign policy. The president is generally pretty toothless on domestic/economic matters. Blame congress

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Iron said:
I was talking foreign policy. The president is generally pretty toothless on domestic/economic matters. Blame congress
Bush had a Republican majority Congross for 6 years.

reh

Long Thick Member
HSC
Iron said:
LOL
i will right an angry letter. Informing them just how angry i really am at their economic management!

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
No. The GOP had a majority. Bush had vague ideological allies, but he could only get them to do stuff if popular opinion was on his side, like after 9/11

nick1689

HSC
Here's a query for everyone:

If Bush wasnt elected as President, would America still have been involved in two wars? Was it the contextual events of the 21st century that defined the Bush Administration? Would the US be in the same position as it is now if Bush wasnt elected?

GO!

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Afghanistan war would almost certainly have occured regardless of President, but do ur own homework

spiny norman

HSC
Well it would've been Gore.

I highly doubt Gore would've invaded Iraq.

Also Gore definitely would have taken global warming seriously and done something to address that more immediately, rather than Bush's refusal to recognise it for much of his presidency.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
holy shit its spiny norman
how's quakers hill going for you dude?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Na Gore wouldve been pretty ineffective imo. How they run the campaign is the best indication of how they'll govern, and lol Gore's was pathetic. Admittedly, Bush's was an exquisite win over incumbency etc, but yeah, Gore just wanted to eat cheesecake

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
There are some things that were inevitable.

1) China's rise on the back of it's manufacturing industry contributing to the U.S deficit.
2) Russia's economy growing and also moving away from Yeltsin anti-Influence policy.
3) Terrorists taking a shot at the U.S for it's support of Israel and Middle Eastern policy in general.

Given those three factors are inevitable something was bound to happen. Considering there is a good, bad and neutral response to all three of those inevitable happenings. Bush would easily have scored a bad on all three.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)